8 weeks post-op.

sunshine22
on 10/5/06 10:03 am - Karrington, MN
I had RNY (open) on 8-8-06. I am down 30lbs since surgery, lost 20 before surgery. I eat proteins (some form) three times per day. I have no appetite so still use protein powder supplements mostly with skim milk or pudding. I try to get all my water in but find that unless I am constantly drinking I am unable to do this. I only get about 200 to 350 calories on a good day...I feel fine, but worry about my diet and protein mostly. Is anyone else eating like this at 8 weeks out?
Ms.Traci C.
on 10/5/06 1:07 pm - Southern Cal girl living in the South, AL
Hi Sue, I have been supplementing with a protein drink daily myself. Fortunately, I am able to eat a little more so I am able to get a lot of my protein in by eating. I still can't get in 64 ounces but I am doing a lot better than I have been...I am at about 48 to 50 ounces now. I can really drink a lot more now, 8 ounces in 20 to 30 minutes...for that I am grateful. My caloric intake is about 400 - 500 calories a day....I feel fine, lots of energy. Work out about 4 days a week. Have you asked your nutritionist about your intake...that would be my first contact. To me it seems a little low...but it could be great for you. Hugs and you have done a wonderful job!! Traci
Jan C.
on 10/5/06 8:39 pm - Cedar Creek, MO
I too am having trouble getting everything in I am almost 8 weeks out. I usually get in at least one protein drink a day sometimes two. I have more water problems than anything. It is like you said unless i am constantinly drinking i have problmes with it. Even doing that i sometimes dont get but maybe 30 oz in a day . I know this isnt enough but i dont know how to remedy it . I am able to eat supper . i have no problem with eating seems like it is just the water mainly. I am getting about 400 calories a day. I have lost 37 pounds 10 before surgery and 27 since. I know i need to up the water intake and every day i say i am going to but i dont seem to get it done. . Until i can get more in i know the weight loss will be very slow. Jan
Pam P.
on 10/6/06 12:00 am - LaGrange, GA
Hey there....well this is my 6th week out and Im just like you guys...I struggle so much with the water intake....I bought a new water jug for work to try to sip sip sip, and had to switch to crystal light, cause plain water was making me nauseous :puke: but I want NOTHING to eat...I sometimes feel empty inside and wonder if that is hunger so I will try to snack on something but all of my protein is coming from milk and protein powder....about 70 - 80g a day.... I sometimes feel like eating but get scared of feeling over-full (which has happened once and I dont care to be that miserable again)... My day seems to be rolling like this: 8oz protein for breakfast w/ milk.......30g protein cheese stick snack............................ 9g protein 5 tsp turkey chili for lunch................. ?? protein pear for snack try to nibble on something for dinner but usually dont 8oz. protein for dinner w/ milk.........30g protein then try to walk but 20 minutes on my treadmill is as high as I have gotten so far. Highes****er intake I can seem to get to is 32oz and that is a struggle. ok so I know why my scales dont move much, I dont eat enough calories huh...dont drink enough water and know.... Man Im glad that we have each other, we would all be lost without the knowledge of others! You all inspire me!
clegate
on 10/6/06 3:57 am - Shelton, WA
Hi Sue, This sounds just like me too except that my doc wants us to get protein from food and not drinks. I am eating 250-350 calories per day and feel fine. My doc said keep the calories as low as you can for as long as you can so I'm not going to worry about it yet. Including what I lost before surgery I am down 51 lbs. That's 38 since surgery. Not sure what I'm going to do once I have to up the protein cause I just don't think I can eat any more right now. Carol
nanahanna
on 10/6/06 5:56 am - AR
I bought some protein to go in my morning coffee, but I don't like it that early..so I drink it in decaf later in the day. I eat a scrambled egg most mornings, have a couple slices of deli ham or turkey for lunch with a cheese stick and then at night I have either tender cooked dried beans, tuna or chicken salad, or a tablespoon of peanut butter on 3 or 4 LF saltines. I also try to supplement with a protein drink sometime during the day. I have no trouble getting all my water in. I carry a bottle of water with me wherever I go.
Arial B.
on 10/6/06 8:53 am - Tampa, FL
I had lapband surgery on 8/9/06. I have lost 30 pounds since surgery, I did not have to go on a pre-op diet. I really feel terrible about the amount I eat daily after reading the other messages posted. I eat 3 small meals a day and 2 snacks. I have had 1 fill and I do get hungry, and I have no problem drinking fluids; I drink about 64 ozs. a day. I enjoy reading the post because, regardless of the surgery we have had, I feel all of us are in this struggle together. Arial l
Tanya-RN
on 10/6/06 8:40 pm - Spring, TX
Good morning, I am 9 weeks out and have lost 39lbs since surgery and a total of 48 with pre surgery diet. My doctor does not want us to be concerned about calories just protein and water intake. My goals each day is 70-80gms of protein and 64oz ofwater. I use fitday.com to monitor and it also allows me to see calories. I am taking in between 400-850 a day with working out 4 days a week. I am eating food like normal except I choose protein over anything else. Here is a sample of my food items- coffee with protein, cottage cheese with fruit, pork chops, refried beans and cheese, chicken liver, egg salad, string cheese, crab meat, shrimp and salad. I have had bananas, mango, brocoli and cheese and I make my own protein shakes. Dont get me wrong I eat 2-4 oz and that is all. I have half a pork chop and 3 bites of brocoili head and I am full for hours. I also eat about 4 times a day. There are many days I still struggle with water ( my pouch does not like cold water) and I love SF popsicles. I am never hungry and have to in fact FORCE myself to eat. Our pouches are picky from one day to the next, just keep trying what it likes and tomorrow roll with the punches. Congrats on your lost!!!!!!!!! hugs, Tanya 261/252/213/140 8/2/06 RNY Lap
katkoter
on 10/9/06 11:43 am - Ladysmith, WI
I had surgery on August 21, 2006, and I am doing fine. I'm down about 42 lbs and feel great most days. The problem is water intake. I'm having problems with constipation. I know fluids help, and walking, but how about fiber. Any ideas?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views