5 wks. -32lbs.

jolook
on 10/1/06 5:05 am - Rexburg, ID
Hi All: I'm 5 weeks out and down 32lbs. this morning. I have already given away bags of clothes that don't fit me and am starting on my stack of jeans that I kept that go from 18W to 14 regular. Started out at 222 and am now 189. I haven't had much energy and my immune system is down so that I have gotten a bladder infection and now a cold/flu kind of thing. I haven't felt really well enough to do consistent exercise and I am starting to see hanging skin. That looks scary enough to motivate me to get with the exercise program. I haven't planned my eating schedule and am just taking a little of this and that when I feel like it. I don't think I'm getting enough protein. Soup is my best bet. However, I found that if I drink cold water on top of the soup I have to throw up. Meat still doesn't sit well either. I am resolving to set up a schedule of eating and exercise for myself to get feeling better. I want to order some biotin lozenges that I heard about and some of that protein water Isopure I think it is. There are lots of things on the regular boards about helpful supplements but I was waiting to feel better. guess I have to take a more pro-active role to get there. My lazy habits are hard to break. Jo
ohiostar
on 10/1/06 7:47 am - Lancaster, OH
I'm 5 weeks out and struggling with being tired also. My pouch is also more cranky. I think it's because I am adding more solid food and it doesn't like it. I'm having a terrible time remenbering to eat slowly so I am getting food stuck some. Had a terrible day today. I'm going back to soups and stuff for a few days to give my pouch a break. I'm strugging to exercise also. I hope to go water walk again Monday. I drink the Isopure liquid drinks. There is 40 grams of protein in a 20 oz bottle. Some flavors are better than others. I found that if I mix it with koolaid or something else and it tastes better. The grape and orange is good by itself. Hang in there and don't be hard on yourself. Dianna
cj29
on 10/1/06 6:55 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Jo, I will be 5 weeks post op Tuesday and down only 30lbs. I have stalled at this weight loss for 2+ weeks now and am feeling like this WLS didn't work for me. Then I think it's my fault for not drinking enough liquids and not walking enough as my DR recommended. I also am "trying" to eat solids when my Dr still wants me on purees for 6 weeks, I was (am) going crazy and tried of pureed & soups! Then my protein intake is at 30 grams when I should be at 40 grams a day or more. You're right when you say "My lazy habits are hard to break" since I'm right there with you. When I do eat solids... I see it again if you know what I mean. I want to feel like a real person and eat...eat smaller portions...just eat. My pouchie will not allow this and when I go see my Dr Tuesday, I'm so scared since I am breaking all his rules and feel like a failure. Yes, I know, when have I lost 30 lbs in 5 weeks and kept it off before. I can't help but feel like a failure when I know in my heart all the rules and I break them everyday! I have decided as of right now....not to cry about it anymore. I will write down in a daily journal what I eat & drink. I will buy a tread mill once my Dr give a clearence for working out and then I will get up earlier in the day to make sure all my protein and liquids are fufilled. I return to work next Tuesday 10/10th & am not looking forward to it! Please share your stratigy on what your going to change or what action you will take? Your WLS sister, Carrie
jolook
on 10/2/06 4:49 am - Rexburg, ID
Dear Carrie: You sound a bit discouraged but look at this: you ARE down 30lbs. in spite of how you feel. Your plateau is coming from something--your doctor will help figure that out. I too have had a bit of baked potato but if I eat too much of even something soft I feel horrible. I read postings from people who say they never taste a bit of noodle or potato or NO carbohydrates of any time. I can't say the same but I think we'll both do best if we WRITE DOWN what we eat. I know I always was in denial before about how much I ate. I don't want to go down that road again. Remember, we are in a transitional phase. You will lose 100 lbs. or more just because of the surgery or you'll pop your pouch trying to overeat. This tool we have acquired is just that, a help in getting control of the balance of food in/exercise out that we have to get a handle on to manage this "disease" of obesity. We're not like "normal" people. Yes, food is a trigger to our emotions, we WANT TO eat like some people want to breathe but we just friggin CAN'T eat like other people. What's going on in your head about food very likely doesn't match what's going on in your body. Your pouch doesn't want much, doesn't want a lot of texture, spice etc. Your mouth and your mind does. It's a lifelong habit that we are breaking. The other day I was eating some almonds for protein. They were crunchy, kind of stale, and I realized I was popping some in my mouth when I was actually "full" in my pouch. I stopped when I realized this is the kind of mindless munching that got me fat in the first place. Give yourself time to get well from this disease. Step by step. I'm sure the books you talked about are helpful. I'm going to order a copy. As for me, I'm going to keep writing it down so it's there in black and white staring me in the face//what I eat, what I drink, what vitamins I take, what exercise I do, how much I weigh, my measurements. If I don't I'll lie to myself. My best to you. Keep on, keepin on.
Pam P.
on 10/2/06 6:55 am - LaGrange, GA
Hey guys....today begins week 6 for me and I have stalled on week three and last week....and only lost 24!!!! So Im jealous of you guys...I get all my protein but not all my water....I cant stomach it...and same here..meat and I dont get along too much lately...all was fine at first but when something gets stuck....OUCH!!!! Im trying not to get discouraged though I know I could awake tomorrow and drop another 5 maybe so.....but it sucks with it not being steady when Im taking all my vitamins daily and eating right......... Guess I will stick with my liquid protein and water and see how it goes... My energy is getting better since I started taking extra iron.... So congrats to yall 30+ pounds is GREAT!!!!
Lavon
on 10/7/06 9:32 am - Turlock, CA
Jo, I am 8 weeks post op and down 32 lbs. So you are ahead of me. I started at 227 and now 195. How tall are you? I am 4'11". Since I have been eating solids I have kept a journal of everthing I have eaten. Since I started work 9/11/2006, I plan my next days breakfast and lunch. I eat those at work. I don't know how I could keep track of my protein intake without doing all of this. I can't retain it in my brain as I am 50yrs old. I have kept with my plan of going to the gym at least every Mon, Wed and Fridays and try to do something else at home on the other days. Take care of yourself and get in all your potein and vitamins, if nothing else. Blessings, Lavon
cdhardison
on 10/9/06 1:03 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 08/29/06 with
Hello, tomorrow I will be 6 weeks post-op and I feel the same as you. The only thing with me is that I had lost 35 lbs and as of today I have GAINED 3 lbs. I don't know what's going on. I think that I may have to start over again with just liquids but I know that I not taking in a lot of calories not even 1000 a day my pouch wont let me. So I don't know what's wrong. Just hang in there we can't just loose that little bite of weight. We still have a long ways to go. Keep me posted on how well your doing.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views