One Month Report - How is Everyone Doing?

burgundylady2003
on 10/1/06 12:57 am - small town, Canada
Hi, well for the august board we are all at least 1 month out, many will be closer to 2 months out. How is everyone doing? I must admit this is harder than I thought. My surgery was relatively uncomplicated and although I struggled to get my protein and water in, I lost 15 pounds the first 2 weeks and another 5 the 3rd week. Since then I have not lost a pound. I am getting frustrated. I go back to work on Monday and know it will be harder to work out too. I am thankful for this board and the RNY board for all the exchanges and know I am not alone in my plight. I do not want to become discouraged and sabotage my chance here so I will continue (I hope) to make this a priority even while back at work, I know it will be a new challenge. As far as sizes go, I have clothes in my closet from size 20 to 24. My two pairs of jeans are size 24 and 22 and I am still wearing them. They must have been pretty tight before as now they are comfortable. I find that I can tell I have lost weight in my face, hands and feet but not noticeably in my stomach or butt! And I have not measured, I took my measurements pre op, but can't find them~! It will be nice going back to work and finding more things fit in my closet. But I was really hoping I would be able to have somethings TOO big by now, I guess I need to be patient. So what about it August Board, how are you all doing? Let's continue to stick together in our journey and find success! Live, Love, Laugh & Learn Cindy Highest Weight - 303 Surgery Weight 285 Current Weight 265 Total Loss- 38 Loss since surgery- 20
Mary G.
on 10/1/06 1:27 am - Deming, WA
Hey Cindy! You're doing great with weight loss! I don't think the scale is an accurate measure of your success yet, post op water retention can last for bit, especially if your fluid intake is on the lower side. It's hard to get in all the water they recommend, but it certainly helps drop the numbers. I am about 6wks out from lap RNY, and am starting to now notice an increase in my energy and effort at exercise. I know that plateaus and stalls will happen in this adventure, but I hope to notice them less. Denial allowed me to get to over 300lbs...I rarely weighed myself at that weight because it made me hungry!! Give yourself a break from the scale and pamper yourself a bit...YOU deserve it! Try a manicure, pedicure, hot bath, massage....what ever tickles your fancy... I am surprised at what a 15 minute break in the routine can do to make the whole day refocus! Before you head back to work, make a plan for ways to fit your exercise into the mix. Walking at lunchtime has been a great way to get away from the grind in my day. Please feel free to email, I have some great recipes for bath products you can make yourself...this feels like cooking but I don't have to eat it...just wear it! MaryG
cj29
on 10/1/06 6:57 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Cindy, This is the same reply I posted to Jo Alba... I will be 5 weeks post op Tuesday and down only 30lbs. I have stalled at this weight loss for 2+ weeks now and am feeling like this WLS didn't work for me. Then I think it's my fault for not drinking enough liquids and not walking enough as my DR recommended. I also am "trying" to eat solids when my Dr still wants me on purees for 6 weeks, I was (am) going crazy and tried of pureed & soups! Then my protein intake is at 30 grams when I should be at 40 grams a day or more. You're right when you say "My lazy habits are hard to break" since I'm right there with you. When I do eat solids... I see it again if you know what I mean. I want to feel like a real person and eat...eat smaller portions...just eat. My pouchie will not allow this and when I go see my Dr Tuesday, I'm so scared since I am breaking all his rules and feel like a failure. Yes, I know, when have I lost 30 lbs in 5 weeks and kept it off before. I can't help but feel like a failure when I know in my heart all the rules and I break them everyday! I have decided as of right now....not to cry about it anymore. I will write down in a daily journal what I eat & drink. I will buy a tread mill once my Dr give a clearence for working out and then I will get up earlier in the day to make sure all my protein and liquids are fufilled. I return to work next Tuesday 10/10th & am not looking forward to it! Please share your stratigy on what your going to change or what action you will take? Your WLS sister, Carrie
vividsunrise
on 10/3/06 7:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Cindy, I am really getting used to this new lifestyle. I am very motivated and get my water and protein in most days. I am being creative with my protein shakes and I don't mind them. I have lost 38 lbs since surgery and I am feeling it everywhere!. Clothes are getting loose...rings are spinning around my fingers. I do feel the boost in energy. I walk to a parking garage at work and it is slightly uphill, I was always having to stop and rest halfway there..now I walk the whole block without stopping! I absolutely LOVE water aerobics and go 3 times a week and want to add more exercise to that. I start soft foods tomorrow and I can't wait to try new foods. I do not own a scale, because I don't want to become a slave to it and be obsessed with weighing everyday. I look at this surgery as a gift from God and I don't want to abuse my new tool. Well Augusters...congrats on all the weight lost and let's continue to support one another! The losers bench feels so good! Peace and blessings Dawn
anna1916
on 10/4/06 7:26 am - Bellmawr, NJ
I was two months out on October 1st, and so far, everything is going pretty well. I am down 61 pounds, and that is after a stall at 55 pounds for about 2 weeks. I still work hard to get all my drinks and shakes in, and I find that there is more solid food that I can't really eat than solid food that I can eat. I'm not sure what size I am. Most of my clothes are stretchy, and I definitely have more room in them. I had size 24 jeans that didn't fit me before, and now they are big, but I have a pair of 22s that fit okay around the waist, but they bag in the butt and the legs. My shirts are definitely coming down in size It certainly isn't easy. The head thing kills me sometimes. I WANT a slice of pizza, and I WANT a piece of cake or a cookie, but fear is keeping me on the straight and narrow. That's fine for now. All in all, I'm glad I did what I did. I feel MUCH better. I have to get back to the gym - it's been hard since school is back in session. I have two kids in two different schools and one at home who won't go to the gym daycare center. Anna Highest Weight - 298 Surgery Weight - 295 Current Weight - 234 Total Loss - 61 pounds Loss since surgery - 61 pounds
LEAH W.
on 10/5/06 3:58 am - MCKEES ROCKS, PA
I'll be six weeks out tomorrow and life IS getting back to normal. Physically I feel pretty good and I am so happy about that. I'm able to eat from the soft foods list and have been doing fairly well. It's taken me a while to figure out a way of eating that works well for me. I normally do well if I have three meals and a protein shake either in the morning or late day like between 3-5. I've been walking for 30-40 minutes everyday and that's helping me stay focused and positive. I'm joining a gym with a friend on the 16th and I'm really looking forward to that. I think I can do better re: my eating habbits. It's not that I eat bad things but I want to be VERY strict about measuring out my portions. Since I haven't really noticed a full feeling I want to be EXTRA sure that I'm not overeating! When I went to my one month appt on the 25th of Sept. I was down 40 pounds. I visited my PCP today to re-start my Depo provera shot and I'm still holding pretty steady at -40. I'm not discouraged at all, because I know plateaus are normal and I'm not eating ANYWHERE NEAR what I used to eat so I know that if I keep doing what I'm doing, increase my exercise starting on the 16th and keep trying every day to drink as much water and up my protein, the weight will come off. I haven't really set any goals as far as weight goes yet because I want to be realistic. I don't own a scale because I don't want to become obsessed. Possibly when I get under 200 I will, but we'll see. So really, I've just been trying to keep a positive outlook on things and I live my life one day at a time! Hope everyone is feeling better and doing well!
Pam P.
on 10/5/06 5:55 am - LaGrange, GA
Hey Cindy....thanks for checking on everyone....we do all need to stick together! sounds like everyone is different....as we heard it would be...and we arent very patient are we? I struggle each day with water...ugh Im so tired of it...each sip makes me think I wanna puke I weigh 3 times a day...even at work...drives me crazy when it doesnt move. I worry Im not eating enough....(it would be ok with me to not eat period and only drink my shakes, but I know that isnt good either.) I am so tired after work that I can only walk on my treadmill like 15 minutes....PITIFUL But I awoke this Monday to a scale that hadnt moved in a week and decided dang it Im gonna drink this freakin water and exercise 45 minutes every day. Well its Thursday and today is the only day I have done that...each other day I cant get thru 36 oz of my water. UGH !!! Why is that so hard?! But I did awake this morning to a loss....thats 49 from my highest and 29 since surgery.... Some clothes are HUGE and look silly, so I gotta ditch em...my shoes are too big..lol...now THAT is strange feeling... Most of my difference is in my face, wrist, ankles legs, etc...wierd when you take a shower huh...and this face...man I havent seen it in years! Each weekend my mom cries when she sees me.....I catch her staring at my face..lol she is so happy i did this for myself. So lets be strong ladies and know that this WILL WORK...and we are all here to support each other through this... Im praying for you all!
burgundylady2003
on 10/5/06 8:59 am - small town, Canada
Wow, everyone is doing so well, thanks for the update everyone. We will have our ups and downs but one day at a time and the pounds are going to come off! Btw I did get over my plateau and am down another 5 (Thank God! lol). How about the rest of you? Time to report in, lets here the good and the not so good. Do not worry if you are struggling, come here to rejoice or vent, it's all good. Take care all, Cindy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views