Started Lap/Converted to open

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/06 4:36 pm
I had started Lapriscopically & they had to convert me to open. I had adhesions that were unforeseen. I have never had any children, nor any surgeries-so it was a big surprise for my surgeon. Now I have the lap & open wounds that are healing. My lap ones are doing better, and sometimes they hurt still (especially the one above my navel!!). But my long scar is still sore. I was thinking it is dry since it is healing, so I put lotion on it. However, it hurts still. I told my surgeon about it on Friday at my "1mo" appointment (at 6weeks though). I told him I feel bruised under all of it and sometimes I get these random kicks of pain. Like right now though, about 2" from the left of my scar and mid belly, my belly hurts, real pain. I am thinking that since they did lap (and below this pain about 3" is a lap scar) that I am bruised there too-don't know. Surgeon says that since they cuts through layers & layers of tissue & muscle, I am expected to still feel pain. I am not that far out from surgery to feel the pain yet. He said it should get better..(yeah yeah.. --just kidding) He said I still shouldn't be lifting more than 35 pounds, etc-heck, 10 is a lot! Anyone hearing me on this one?? Anyone "feeling my pain" so to speak? Thanks for reading Lisa C., MN
sunshine22
on 10/1/06 5:42 am - Karrington, MN
Lisa, I kn ow you are sore with all the different incisional areas, I had the open incision and had mild discomfort but no real pain from the area. Hang in there it will get better, bet your glad its all over and your on the losing side. Great time of year for surgery for us August people, nice walking weather. Sue.
Judy_In_Wisconsin
on 10/2/06 10:49 pm - Green Bay, WI
Lisa, I just had the surgery a week ago with the same situation -- started Lapriscopically & convert to open. I'm feeling your pain but I'm just a few weeks behind on the surgery date. I feel like in some ways that I had double the pain. First there is the pain from the lap surgery due to the gas they pumped into my abdomen for that. Then there is the pain from that huge foot long incision that runs belly button to breastbone. All that on top of the pain from the internal rearranging of my organs. I don't know if you have worked on getting rid of the gas. Its probably gone for you already. It sounds gross but I've been forcing myself to burp as much as possible trying to lose the bloat. Then there are the massive cuts and one big cut on my abdomen making walking, sitting, standing or pretty much any movement at all painful. My back is killing me because my stomach muscles can't do their work anymore and my back muscles are trying to take over with little success. I don't try to do more than I have to. I've been a big baby about the pain and meds so far. I don't like the narcotic oxycodon my dr prescribed. I hate that dopey feeling. The liquid tylenol and motrin the dr recommended to replace it gave me the diarreah I think. So I've been try to make it thru without any pain meds and hating every minute of it. I don't sleep much. I feel pretty much like a beached whale on my recliner only getting up every once in a while to eat, drink, bath or pee. Its nice to know I'm not alone out here either. Good luck and God Bless. ~Judy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views