Hello....How much can you eat???

Pam P.
on 9/26/06 2:29 am - LaGrange, GA
Hey there... I had my 1 month check up yesterday and they said I should be able to fit 1/2 for each meal but to test it and see.
lea2be
on 9/26/06 4:15 am - LaBelle, FL
Same here--at my checkup yesterday, we were given handouts that said that at 4 weeks post op your pouch should hold 1-3 oz of solid food per meal, depending on the consistency of the food. It also said that over time, the pouch will naturally stretch/relax to where it will hold anywhere from 4 to 8 oz (1/2 cup to one cup) of food per meal and that your ability to eat more may increase over time. It said that once you are able to eat about a cup of food per meal, you need to star****ching the calorie intake... We were also told that as of now all restrictions were gone. We can eat anything we can tolerate well. No need to puree anything unless that is the only way we can handle it... No foods that we can't eat as long as they don't make us sick... And wouldn't you know it, today I can keep anything solid down again! LOL I think they jinxed me! LOL If you are 3-4 weeks out, 1/2 cup is NOT too much unless it leaves you feeling stuffed and like you have eaten too much. My pouch gets very uncomfortable after about 1/2 cup, so I know that this is my limit unless it is a thinner, liquidy consistency. Then, sometimes I can eat more---like really thin soups with no chunks of anything. (say cream of chicken)
kekepania
on 9/26/06 1:27 pm - West Jordan, UT
Hi Traci I eat 2oz (1/4 cup) 5 times a day.. 6, 9, 12, 3, 6 70% (3 tbls) protein & 30% (1 tbls) veggies I was told the constant nourishment keeps your blood sugar stable and your metabolism going. I was also told to never "drink" my calories..its too easy to take in too many. Hope that helps! Good Luck! Stephanie
Pam P.
on 9/27/06 6:27 am - LaGrange, GA
Stephanie, your schedule sounds great....what foods are making up your meals?
kekepania
on 9/28/06 11:33 pm - West Jordan, UT
Hi Pam, Basically I can eat anything I can tolerate...lol, I usually have cottage cheese w/salsa for breakfast, raw almonds, a slice of bacon, cukes, something light for my snacks, refried beans w/cheese, etc. I can't eat beef right now (tried several kinds and I threw up) but I can do chicken...I'll try beef again in a couple weeks. Basically I'm just kind of experimenting to see what goes down OK. I dont eat canned veggies anymore...I steam or cook raw veggies (broccoli, carrots, mushrooms) and eventually will move up to raw...maybe I like it alot, I'm never hungry, but since I started doing this I have noticed I have alot more energy thoughout the day. I'm at 6 weeks and have lost 40lbs, so I think it works well. GOOD LUCK!
utendn
on 9/27/06 1:01 am - Boise, ID
Hi. I can eat 1.5 to 3 oz, depending on what food it is. Like it was said, the denser the protein source, the less I can eat. We buy chicken from Schwans (I HIGHLY recommend it!) and I can only have a little bit. (Okay, a TINY bit compared to how it used to be!) Here is an example of too much: We went to Popeyes Chicken the other day...I bought a thigh and a red beans and rice, knowing that I would only have a few bites of the red beans and rice. I ate -almost- the whole chicken thigh MINUS the skin, and a couple very small bites of red beans and rice and omg I was TOO FULL. I had weird little pains in my pouch, and I knew I had overdone it. Okay, now before this surgery I could eat like 2 or 3 pieces of chicken, skin and all, plus the whole serving of a small red beans and rice. And now getting overly stuffed on what tiny amount I just ate? Sheesh! No wonder I'm shrinking! I wish you all continued success and a downward spiral on the scale. UTE_NDN
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views