I realized something this weekend.....

Michelle00000032
on 9/18/06 12:44 am - Somerville, MA
I realized how totally addicted to food I was. It was so wierd, We were at the cottage and everyone was eating their take-out from the fish place, I had told them that I would just pick off their plates because I am nowhere near able to eat so much. Well I had a couple of bites of haddock and a scollop and I was stuffed but everyone else was still eating and talking. I felt like I was done and not included. I wanted some shrimp and chowder and lobster (I KNOW IT WAS ALL IN MY HEAD) but for a few moments I thought, "Will I ever get to eat more than a few bites again in my life, will anything ever taste YUMMY again? This lasted a couple of min until I realized that I am NOT hungry, they are all eating but I can still talk and laugh with them. I was fine but realized I used to eat out of habit and not out of hunger. I actually felt good about myself after and went for a walk! LOL I love the new me! Michelle
burgundylady2003
on 9/18/06 12:48 am - small town, Canada
I know what you are saying, yesterday I made waffles for my family with homemade chokecherry syrup. I could only have 1/4 of a belgian waffle but I wanted more!! It is hard to realize we only need a taste of the food, not to gorge ourselves...and thank god for that...our 'tool' is working!
Pam P.
on 9/18/06 4:19 am - LaGrange, GA
OMG I feel ya honey.........same here.......I just returned from 5 days at the beach with my entire family........all 14 of them ATE CONSTANTLY.....and would all say sorry you cant have this, please go drink some protein.... at times it got to me but not as much as the disgust over noticing what all I would have eaten had I been able to...I would have snacked constantly just like them..... I have always said FOOD wasnt why I was this big...cause I eat less than anyone I know...but.....once you realize things you would eat if you could...it blows your mind. Im proud of us too........Im just scared Im not eating enough......I dont have the courage to try as many things as others do....... They had all that seafood at the beach and I only took nibbles of some talapia and it got stuck! OUCH! good for you for going walking......I still dont have the energy to! I get so TIRED!
utendn
on 9/27/06 1:28 am - Boise, ID
I sooooooooo hear ya! I don't think, even now, that I was a big emotional eater, but working with my counselor has helped me evaluate what my relationship to food was before surgery and how it is changing now. I do experience "head hunger", and I am very aware of it. I am rarely physically hungry, but on the upside, I can eat anything. Yes, I take *tiny* bites and chew WELL. Nothing has gotten stuck or made me sick, but my head sometimes plays games with me. I wander into the kitchen and mindlessly open the refrigerator door and think, "Hmm...what's in here that I can munch on?" Then I realize what the heck I'm doing and slam that fridge door shut! Stupid head hunger! But let me tell you, seeing my counselor every week or every other week REALLY helps. UTE_NDN PS. I love how when my hubby and kids eat together, I can eat my tiny amount and sit there and chit chat, and pick slowly, get full, and I don't have to keep eating and eating til the plate is clean. My attitude towards food has changed! YIPEE!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views