SIGH- THE NEWS IS OUT

burgundylady2003
on 9/17/06 4:12 am - small town, Canada
Well I tried to keep my WLS a secret. Only my parents, my sister and 2 close friends knew. My sister in law called me the other day to tell me that so and so told her that that was my surgery. And she had heard it from another. Both of those women are terrible gossips. I know it will be around town now. I hate being talked about, am sensitive about my weight issues and this makes me quite upset. I know there is nothing I can do about it, but it still really bothers me, in fact I did not sleep well because of it last night. I live in a small town (500 people) where everyone knows everyone and their business too. Any suggestions? I am in a real funk because of it.
kellisobo
on 9/17/06 5:47 am - Sayreville, NJ
Hold your head up high be proud and brag with the drop of every pound to all the nosie peoples that found it hard to keep your secert and to the ones that have called to say haha I know what you did. dont care about what people think now, now you are going to lose your weight and be proud of the way your did/ are doing it. tell people they might think this was the easy way, but the hell if it is. it is far from easy. But most importantly you owe no explanations to anyone person, and that is what you should say. SO HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH AND SMILE WITH EVERY POUND YOU DROP. Kelli
Patricia R.
on 9/17/06 8:26 am - Perry, MI
I did not try to hide my surgery. I asked to be put on the prayer bulletin at my church, with the specific type of surgery listed next to my name. Today I went back to church for the first time after my surgery and got hugs and well wishes and people asking me how I feel and people encouraging me with news of friends they had that had the same surgery in the past. My thinking was, I couldn't hide my obesity, why hide my surgery. They know I am fat. They will watch me lose the weight. So what if they know how. Stand proud. Having WLS takes courage and strength and anyone who gossips about it is not worth your time or energy. Hugs, Trish
jkfullerva
on 9/18/06 3:18 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I agree with hold your head high. Your life should be a testimony to others. I put my entire life and this surgery in God's hands and I am happy to give Him the glory and honor as I succeed, but I also realize I have an obligation to be an example to others. I have been amazed at the impact my surgery has had on others around me, two of my sisters are working out like crazy to keep up with me and get in shape they are both older than I. If my experience inspires others to get in better shape and be healthier then praise God. I too have been sensitive about my weight. My family used to give me a pretty bad time about my weight (especially my dad) but since he died my siblings have been very kind and when I announced this surgery they really surprised me by rallying around me with support and encouragement. Remember he who angers you controls you! So don't let it get to you!
jolook
on 9/18/06 3:39 am - Rexburg, ID
I was ambivalent about whether I would "tell" or not. But then I decided I didn't want people to think I was sick or something because the quick weight loss would be obvious. But when you are out with other people in an eating situation, I found it easier to just say "I've just had weight loss surgery" instead of trying to make up some reason why I am eating like a pigeon. People have responded 100%positively. One guy said, "boy, you sure know how to accomplish your personal goals." That made me feel like what I've done is an accomplishment and I am proud that I finally took the bull by the horns in my battle with weight. I also like the idea of making it acceptable in the eyes of others who are obese so we can pass on the solution we've found to others who are as desperate as we once were. Jo
wishing_I_was_small
on 9/18/06 3:09 pm - Columbia, MD
I also didn't tell many people. Just my husband, kids, and sister. I don't really have a suggestion, but I can relate to how you feel. I'm also really sensitive about the weight issue and I grew up in a small town where info travels fast. This too shall pass.
pattyg
on 9/19/06 4:22 am - Springfield, IL
Just remember the reasons You made the decision in the first place. it was about YOUR health and better quality of life. It really does not matter what others think of why you did it, you owe them no explination. You might be the "talk of the town" for awhile, but soon - someone else will do something to get them talking and the only comments they will be making about you is how absolutely stunning you are looking!
burgundylady2003
on 9/19/06 6:19 am - small town, Canada
Thank you to all *****sponded to my plight. I knew you would understand and I needed the reassurance. I can do this, I will show them.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views