Almost 3 weeks post-op

ncchris98
on 9/11/06 11:25 pm - Granite Falls, NC
Hey guys! I am almost 3 weeks post-op and have a question about how much I should be able to eat. My doctor seems to be a lot different than most others, but he has a very high success rate. I was on a clear liquid diet for the first 2 days after surgery. Then for the rest of the first week I was on a full liquid diet. After the first week I moved to a soft diet. Then after the second week I could start eating chicken, turkey and fish. I had to start on the deli sliced chicken and turkey and the fish had to be moist, such as tuna and I was instructed to start adding foods one at a time as I could tolerate them. I actually made a pot of chili using ground turkey breast instead of ground beef. It was so good!! I just don't know how much of the food I should be able to eat. I stop eating when I feel the fullness, but then after a few minutes after I stop eating I feel like I have over eat. What am I doing wrong?? I have been very fortunate in that I have kept everything I have eaten down so far, and I haven't had any complications. Well, there was one night I threw up when I ate one bite too much of a turkey burger. I have been eating a scrambled egg with lowfat cheese to get a good dose of protein in the mornings. Beginning Sunday I added a turkey sausage link and got down most of one link and about 3/4 of the egg. I ate a little bit of a grilled chicken breast for lunch yesterday, and then last night I ate about 1/2 of a salmon patty and a couple of tablespoons of northern beans. I worry that maybe I'm doing something wrong and eating too much. Does this sound normal? I am so scared of stretching my pouch and of course I'm terrified that I'll screw up and not be successful in losing this weight. I don't feel like I'm getting in enough protein but I can't tolerate the protein drinks. Does anyone have any suggestions or good recipes for protein shakes? Thanks for any input! Chris
burgundylady2003
on 9/12/06 12:58 am - small town, Canada
Hi Chris, it sounds like you are doing great! Your diet seems very similar to mine, I am 2 weeks post op and saw my dr. and dietician yesterday. They said I can move to solids, and said the same thing as yours. Introduce one at a time and see what you can tolerate. I have not vomitted yet (knock on wood) but last night I did over do it. A collegue had sent over a casserole, with hamburger, cabbage and rice...all not recommended...well I had about 1/4 of a cup and had huge pain in my chest. I guess that was the food coming back up, my stomach saying whooaaa! Anyway, I was actually glad to see I had that restriction because like you I have pretty much tolerated everything I have tried so far. I know what you mean about not sure how much to eat. The dietician asked me, and I said I usually try to eat about 1/2 cup of something then stop and usually afterwards I realize I am full. I dont know if I actually am feeling full at the time I stop but I try to stop anyway. Then afterwards I realize oh yes I was full. Maybe that would work for you too. Then if you feel like you need more then you can have another 1/2 or build up to a cup of food at a meal. ALso remember to eat the protein of your meal first, then if there is room add fruits and vegs, and then carbs...in that order...so you make sure you get the protein in before you are too full. I hope those ideas help, I am learning as I go too, nice to have the support of this web. Live, Love, Laugh and Learn Cindy
Ms.Traci C.
on 9/12/06 1:13 am - Southern Cal girl living in the South, AL
Hi Chris, Sounds like you are doing so well!! Congratulations. I am not eating yet!!! Still on clear liquids plus protein shakes. But according to everything I read...you are right on track. As far as protein shakes....I use Isopure now and Muscle Milk....I also use Unjury but the smell just gets to me. Good Luck! Traci
Patricia R.
on 9/12/06 6:20 am - Perry, MI
My docs have me on a very strict diet. First week post op is clear liquids. Weeks 2 and 3 are full liquids. Weeks 4 and 5 are pureed foods. Week 6 is soft foods. Week 7 is when I can eat normal foods. For protein drinks have you tried Isopure ready made drinks. They come in 20 ounce bottles. The grape tastes like grape Koolaid. They have 40 grams of protein in one bottle. I am thrilled with them. For making drinks at home, my favorite is to take 1 cup of orange juice and a peach peeled and cut up and some blueberries and AnyWhey protein powder and mix it in a blender. It has 17 grams of protein in it. Good luck. Hugs, Trish
jolook
on 9/15/06 10:06 am - Rexburg, ID
Hi Trish: I am 3 weeks post op too. I just tried to eat a little loz. of grilled halibut, I managed to eat some yesterday for lunch. But today I threw it up. I was hungry and I think I ate it too fast and didn't concentrate on chewing enough. Your diet sounds pretty good, my doctor allows canned tuna and chicken after day 7 but I haven't tried tuna yet, because I've read some bad reports on it just sitting in your stomach. I'm doing a lot of soups with chicken or ground beef in them. They seem to do ok if I don't eat more than 2oz. I am supposed to be eating no more than 2oz. total at any given time. If I go any over that I hurt or start hiccups or belching--not pleasant so it is a big encourager not to overeat. String cheese, the l oz. size, has kept me going when I don't feel like eating but need nourishment. Good luck. Joette
Pam P.
on 9/18/06 4:13 am - LaGrange, GA
Great post here....I know we are all wondering the same things.... I know I dont eat enough and Im terrified to try new things...I havent lost in the past 5 days and Im struggling to find my right recipe for success..... sounds like you guys are trying more things than I am... Can we have orange juice? I surely miss it...... I cant ever seem to eat 1/2 cup of anything at all........I have had bites of: turkey chili talapia (got stuck.......OUCH) lunchmeat cheese wheat thins and squirt chz pudding apple sauce pintos & bananas then milk, popscicles and fudge bars hold me over...... I just received my unflavored Unjury protein so maybe I can get creative like you guys have.........Im tired of my chocolate protein already! You guys seem to be doing great!
breno
on 9/18/06 7:21 am
I am 3.5 post op. My Nutritionist asked me to be thinking about what I might want to eat - I RAISED MY VOICE AND EXCLAIMED "GREENS" Doing ok with different things- fluid intake is working better now that i use hot herbal teas instead of depending completely on the 32 oz jug of Crystal Light. My surgeon will not tolerate Protein Shakes- he wants us to gain our proteins from foods we need to eat- this is tough on me- I crave a creamy shake. Have all the stuff to make it too. Had a teaspoon of my husbands the otehr day- blessing it was good. So I did all the different beans pureed in the Magic Bullet. White, black, Refried, have not made the hummel stuff yet, turkey chili is very very tastey as so is bean with bacon soup! I too bought a couple Isopure drinks with the high content of Protein, as I am having to write everything down and show this report each week I will not lie on it nor take the approach of being deceitful- so I will work in a few ounces of this Isopure LATER after I am on whole foods again. Only 41 pounds off total from pre op and post op- my face is showing this and so is some of my lower back and waist. I think I am two dress sizes smaller I can get into a 24 church dress when before my gut and waist would fill up a full 26/28 Would love to hear more from ya'll BRENDA
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views