Finally Home

jkfullerva
on 9/10/06 4:24 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I finally got home Friday Sept. 8 after a long 10 day stay. I appreciate all the prayers and support they were felt and needed. I had Lap RNY Aug. 30th at Portsmouth Naval. During the surgery my doc noticed some bubbles on the first leak test and went back and did 3 more sutures but told my husband he would be going with me to my "swallow test" the next am. True to his word he was right beside me and the test didn't show any leaks I started having extreme pain within hours and had a rock hard distended ab. It felt like a charlie horse right below my breastbone. They put me back on pain pump and tried other drugs and the pain did not subside, doc was ready to go back in and decided to do one more swallow study about 1am He held my hand during this one. He is awesome. They still didn't see a leak but did see esophigial spasms. I was hurting so bad I couldn't function so the doc. decided to keep me NPO (nothing by mouth) for a full 7 days to allow me to heal he was afraid of a micro leak. Anyway we did another set of x-rays no barium because he saw some white stuff in my jp drain and was thinking I was leaking. I had to have a central IV line put in and spent 7 days on TPN the only thing in my mouth was a toothbrush. This was all during that charming Ernesto storm which had half the town flooded I was alone at the hospital because hubby got stuck at home when he went home for a couple of hours of sleep. My doc stayed at the hospital 24/7 til he was satisfied I didn't have to have more surgery he was also trapped by the storm Once the pain got under control I didn't care if I ever ate again. They pulled my jp drain thurs. and he saw blood clots and I had lower right side pain so off we go to CT scan to check for absess or appendicitis. They saw a little fluid around the stomach remnant but not enought to drain and I was on enough antibiotics to kill anything so they let me proceed to stage 2 and 3 and finally let me come home yesterday. I was doing fine til I fell in the shower. Now I am even more bruised. Pouch is still tender but I am keeping most stuff down. I feel like I am coming out of a fog so bear with me if this isn't real clear.
HolliBeth1
on 9/10/06 6:55 am - Millbrook, AL
Gosh..what a trying time. Hopefully all the bad is behind you and nothing but good it to follow. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers~ Holli
clsmex
on 9/10/06 7:43 am - Schererville, IN
RNY on 08/22/06 with
I am so sorry to hear of your tough times!!! You certainly have been through it and I only wish you the very best going forward....let's hope your Journey is a quiet and tranquil one going forward for you as you deserve it!!!! I also had a C-line and know what you went through with that...not nice! Glad to hear you are home, it helps the with the healing! Candy
ohiostar
on 9/10/06 9:26 am - Lancaster, OH
Sorry you've had such a tough time. HOpe everything goes well from here on. Sounds like you were lucky to have a great doctor. Dianna
Patricia R.
on 9/11/06 12:04 am - Perry, MI
I am so sorry you went through that ordeal. I pray you recover quickly and without any more severe pain from now on. The Lord is watching over you, and you are blessed to have such a terrific doctor. Be safe. Remember to sip and walk. Hugs, Trish
CrazyHyMom
on 9/11/06 1:03 pm - Lancaster, NY
Thank goodness you are finally home. What a hard time. Get better soon.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views