Motivtion to exercise

ohiostar
on 9/9/06 6:20 am - Lancaster, OH
I'm really struggling with getting myself motivated to walk. I have arthrisis in my knees and was so liimited before surgery. Even at 10 days out there is a definite change and my knees hardly hurt at all. I know I could walk 10 minutes or so, slowly, but I'm having trouble getting myself to do it. Is anyone else have trouble with getting the motor going? I know exercise is critical for success. Dianna
HolliBeth1
on 9/10/06 6:51 am - Millbrook, AL
I hate to walk! Yesterday I went by myself, today I drug my husband along, which was good. He really pushed me, irritated me, but pushed me nonetheless. So if you have a friend or family member to walk with you try that. If you don't, walk in place in front of the television for 10 minutes alternating bringing your knees up and leaving them just walking. Be creative! I like to dance during commercials, usually there is a lot of music. I pretend I am Beyonce or Chikira (sp). I secretly want to be a belly dancer, anyway..good luck and don't forget your goal~ Holli
Patricia R.
on 9/10/06 11:58 pm - Perry, MI
I love to walk. I take my CD player and play some upbeat music and enjoy the fresh air. It helps my gas and digestion move and it helps me clear my head. Take baby steps. You are less than two weeks out. It takes time to get moving. Hugs, Trish
(deactivated member)
on 9/11/06 11:27 am - Florence, KY
I couldn't walk before my surgery from the van to the store because of the pain in my knees. My doctor tells me to find a place to swim! I hope as soon as I can eat and drink again I will feel up to going to gym and just treading water. Wondering too if the motiviation will come once the movement starts.
Pamela_K
on 9/14/06 1:33 am - Vicksburg, MS
You may want to try the Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds" tapes to build yourself up a little until you can walk for longer periods. There are three tapes and a stretchie band in the set. Tape 1 is a 15-min, 1-mile walk; Tape 2 30-min; and Tape 3 is an hour. The band is used for arm exercises. It doesn't take much floor space to do the tapes. I got my tapes at Wal Mart for about $20. My doctor wants me to join a gym, so I'm trying to psych myself up to do that. Pam
Smsliberty04
on 9/15/06 5:11 pm - Sulphur, KY
Diana, Walking can be boring sometimes and it is hard to get motivated to do it. But, do you like music? If so, just pick some that makes you want to get up and move, or tap your feet. That always helps me. If I don't go on a walk, I clean the house. That is exercise too!! Put some variety in your walking. Turn up that music and get moving... ha ha (If it is too much for you to walk because of the arthritis and the pressure on your joints when walking, just sit in a chair and lift your legs up and down like you are walking. I'm serious!! It will do the same for you until you can walk for a longer period.) I know you are probably not wanting to make the effort to even get up and walk if it is only going to be for 10 minutes, and on top of that it is going to hurt, right? Well, just do it sitting down! You can even do some arm exercises while sitting. But, if it does not bother you to walk, I think it is worth the effort to walk the 10 minutes. So, don't give me any more excuses young lady. ha ha Get up off of that thang!!!! LOL Let me know if you need some support. I'm here for you. I have fibromyalgia and some days I don't even want to get up at all. But, when I do, I feel much better than I do when I don't get up. It's the moving around that will help. Trust me!! Eventually, it will become routine and you will feel better after doing it. Not to mention -- you will gain more self esteem too. So, get a move on! ha ha And, I'm going to need you to do this to me after I have my surgery! So, you better be in shape and up to it. lol I'm counting on you. I'll be rooting for you! Let me know how you are doing. Sharee
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views