1 week post op- getting hungry now, and bored with full fluids-suggestions?

burgundylady2003
on 9/6/06 2:10 pm - small town, Canada
Anyone else getting tired of the full fluids if that is what you are on? I am tired of the puddings, broths, yogurt, protein shakes.... I think I am getting my appetite back, or not sure if it is head hunger. I dont want my fluid stuff anymore but want what I am making for family (pork chops, rice etc). I even took a bite of what I made my familiy for supper tonight and then spit it out...geez One more thing, tonight I told my husband it feels like I am pregnant (I'm not!). But I described it to someone as having a baby inside you kicking or moving around at least. Tonight it even felt like I was 9 months pregnant - you know that too full/bloated feeling..it feels like my stomach is sticking out....I didn't eat/drink anything different...should I be concerned? anyone else feeling this way? suggestions?
MomofKate
on 9/6/06 7:38 pm - Brick, NJ
My stomach is distended too! I feel 9 months pregnant, before surgery I felt about 6. My stomach is still swollen. I see my doctor Tuesday and it's my first concern I will discuss with him. I also can't sleep. I have "frothy" saliva all the time, my book "WLS for Dummies" said that can be a bad thing, I have to tell the doctor. I have lost 18 pounds, but my BELLY is huge! Michelle 8/31/06 surgery
burgundylady2003
on 9/6/06 9:03 pm - small town, Canada
Thanks for your reply, nnice to hear the distended stomach is a common thing. I don't have the frothy saliva thing, but I bring up mucus. I got a cold when I was in the hospital, thought it was from that. I see my dr on Tuesday, according to my scale I have lost about 12 pounds. I only sleep about 4 hours at a time, but finally able to sleep on my side and stomach a bit, although it is uncomfortable. Would go from the bed to the easy chair at night after one gets too uncomfortable. But that is getting better too. Cindy
MomofKate
on 9/6/06 11:03 pm - Brick, NJ
Cindy~ I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one playing MUSICAL BEDS all night long! I start in my husbands bed, then I move to single chair in the living room, then to the full length coach, then finally end up back in the marriage bed.... it's like a game to my mind for some reason! I don't like games when it's time to sleep! Best wishes for a speedy recovery for all of us! Today is my 1 week anniversary and my scale says I have lost 18 pounds, so this is the price I will pay, it's all good with me Michelle
PMedic8991
on 9/7/06 5:06 am - Joppatown, MD
Your situations sounded like me 2-3 weeks ago...I was still swollen and even though I was loosing weight, you could have fooled me! I think you are going through "head hunger"...believe me, I did too. But it passes. The best thing is to remember that you really do need to give your stomach time to heal, continue on your full liquids and just keep telling yourself that "this too will pass." I still am not sleeping right...I toss and turn. Wake up at 4 in the morning and can't go back to sleep. It is frustrating, but from what I hear once you are fully active and get back into your regular routine, then it gets better and sleep returns to normal. I have only been back to work a week and a half, and I am slowly returning to my normal sleep routine. Hope everything else is well, take care and make sure to follow up with your doc...!
Ms.Traci C.
on 9/7/06 1:21 pm - Southern Cal girl living in the South, AL
I was really bloated after surgery until maybe a day ago...it has gone down significantly....thank goodness because it was really uncomfortable! WEll, all I can say is at least you are on FULL liquids I am still on clear with protein shakes....I spoke to the nutritionist today and told her that I was so done with jello!!! I loved jello so much now the thought of it makes me want to hurt someone! Do you think you may have gas??That is what I was experiencing...so two chewable gas x in the morning and two at bedtime...whew, much better. I am so ready for pudding, yougurt and soup...yummmy! Hugs, Traci
Patricia R.
on 9/7/06 2:50 pm - Perry, MI
It is so good to know that I am not alone. My stomach always stuck out, but it really was bad this past week or so. Also, I had open RNY, and my incision started oozing yesterday. Not pretty, since it stained my binder and my bra with pink. (Discharge papers said not to worry about that.) My sleep is all messed up too. I have the privilege of not having to cook for anyone else, so I don't have the temptation to eat too much. However, I am watching commercials and drooling for things with lots of flavor and textures. I am having to look at this post-op diet as an opportunity to fast for the Lord. I need to pray each day to make it through without a huge pity party. Take care, Trish
Ms.Traci C.
on 9/7/06 11:53 pm - Southern Cal girl living in the South, AL
Trish, We will make it. I agree with you totally about the commercials though! And like you...I see something and I ask the Lord for help and I just walk by. Looking forward to moving up to puree next week. Hugs, Traci
ohiostar
on 9/8/06 2:10 am - Lancaster, OH
I'm getting a little tired and dreaming of when I can eat. My husband and I laughed the other night cause I was daydreaming about eating broiled fish. Never in my life would I have thought I would dream of broiled fish. lol. I'm trying to do more of a variety. Yesterday my husband made creamed chicken over mashed potatos. I pureed it and it tasted wonderful. I had some pureed mexican chicken soup for lunch that was wonderful. I'm doing about 2 protein shakes a day so I can get my protein in, but I'm now trying to vary the other food. The creamed chicken wasn't two bad on protein as he used skim milk and lots of chicken, a little low fat cheese in it. Remenber this is only for a short while. It's not unusal to be swollen after surgery. My hubby who is disgustingly thin had his appendenix out and was swollen for weeks afterword. He couldn't wear his uniform pants when he went back to work after a month. Dianna
Tanya-RN
on 9/8/06 3:04 am - Spring, TX
On the note of stomach swelling- I am 5 weeks out and STILL have it. I wake up in the morning and it is flat and as the day goes one I swell up especially aftering eating anything. I saw my doctor at my 4 week post op and c/o this and he made me get a CT. I had fluid in my OLD stomach. I got put on meds and if it still is doing this next week, I have to go back and get another CT. Please please call your doctor. This could be a sign of something as it did with me. They want to know if there is something wrong so they can fix it. Like my doctor said better safe than sorry. hugs, Tanya 252/261/226/140
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views