Anyone else have a wound infection?

bonniecnr
on 9/4/06 8:19 pm - Austin, TX
I am three weeks out tomorrow and got an infection in one of my wounds. I am wondering if that happened to anyone else and how they are healing. I feel great and have lost 30lbs but the wound still hurts and I don't look forward to the daily wound care. Bonnie
crismbitsme
on 9/5/06 1:14 am - Gastonia, NC
Hi Bonnie: Sorry to hear that you are having those complications. I had RNY - Laporoscopically and I did NOT have any infections at all. Did you have open or lap surgery? Sometimes the open has a tendency to get infected more so than the lap. Anyway, sorry to hear about your trials, but I know that you will do just great after all this is over! Good luck on your journey! Cris
Gwendolynn C.
on 9/5/06 9:52 am - chicago, IL
I think I have one too. I'll see my DR. Tomorrow, I am 2 weeks out and the wound seems to not have healed, I have a lot of thick yellow discharge. The nurse told me it my be lymph cells replacing the missing organ (gall bladder)
Ms.Traci C.
on 9/5/06 10:51 am - Southern Cal girl living in the South, AL
Hi Bonnie, Sorry about the infection. I don't know if I have one or not but one really does hurt a lot. If it hasn't improved by morning I think I will head over to the office. Hugs and feel better, Traci
cj29
on 9/5/06 4:30 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I'm 7 days Post Op and had mine LAP as well. The wound over my belly botton hurts pretty bad off & on. I think its due to me forgeting I had the surgery and lifting my 30 lb daughter out of her high chair. What do ya'll think? Bonnie, best of luck to you! I hope it heals fast!!! Carrie
rorync
on 9/6/06 4:50 am
I'm 3 weeks post-op tomorrow and didn't have any wound infections, but my father certainly did. He had his laproscopic surgery 8/8 and on 8/27 he was admitted to the hospital for the 2nd time after surgery (1st was due to congestive heart failure after they took him off his prescription of Lasiks). The doctor said that the infection had probably been there for nearly 3 weeks, and that it was the worst of its kind that he had ever seen. Dad didn't run a fever. The site (at the drain) was just really inflamed (like a mild sunburn) and hot and hard to the touch. If the site is warm and hard then definitely call your doctor. My father was in the hospital for 8 nights just for the infection. Now he's home but the only antibiotic that works is IV form so a nurse has to come by every day. That and they don't close the wound once they've opened it for drainage. So he has to deal with a 6 inch open wound that has to be packed twice a day (by an in home nurse). Not intending to scare you, but just don't let the infection last too long before you get it checked if you're indeed concerned.
Pam P.
on 9/6/06 10:33 am - LaGrange, GA
Hey Bonnie....I had Lap on 8/28 and my wounds are still sore....I finally just took off my guaze tape (that is suppose to FALL OFF)...well i removed it last nite cause it was all irritating me so bad...and today was better....although my belly button and the one to the right still have "crusties" and I have to clean them daily....but they are they most sore of course clothing its both of em so....I figure that is why. Surely your wound care will help.... I think I have a yeast infection from the cathedar and antibiotics they gave me in the hospital....ouch! and HICCUPS oh my gosh they are driving me insane........I have them all evening every nite...STRANGe.
Patricia R.
on 9/7/06 2:55 pm - Perry, MI
I had my surgery on the 28th. I had open, so I have one huge incision. Yesterday and today my incision was oozing pink and has a bright red spot on it. It it is still red tomorrow when I take my shower, I am calling the hospital and asking about it. When in doubt, call the doc. That is what they are there for. Hugs, Trish
TxMom3
on 9/13/06 9:20 am - TX
VBG on 02/17/92
I have a questionable wound. It is the one right in the middle near my breast bone. It was some junk come out of it and I went to the dr last week. The PA thought it looked okay and I was told to call her if it gets worse or hurts. She said she would call in an antibiotic. I think the problem is that it is right where my bra hits when I sit down. Hope yours is feeling better.
Smsliberty04
on 9/15/06 5:29 pm - Sulphur, KY
I have had a skin infection that got into my bloodstream. Please do not wait to see your doctor if you suspect one. Afterall, that is why they say to call if you have ANY problems. My infection started right under my left breast where I had an irritated area from my bra rubbing there. I had a breast reduction back in 2001 and the doctor thinks it did not heal properly. In 2005, I was hospitalized twice for it and had to be put on IV antibiotics, and Potassium supplements. My white blood cell count was very high. I spent 3-4 days in the hospital each time on constant IV antibiotics. This is nothing to put off, if you are concerned, please see your doctor. Especially if it is looks like a rash and is red like a sunburn and is very hot to the touch. I didn't even know what was happening to me until I took a bath. I was feeling very sick and dizzy and had the chills. I thought I was taking a virus or something. I kept piling on the blankets and took tylenol. Nothing helped. I thought a bath would make me feel better. I just happened to see myself in the mirror and there was this huge patch of red that was extending down the left side of my side. It was from the area where the bra had been down to my belly button and around to my back. I immediately went to the hospital. It was not fun!!! I was very sick!! So, if you have symptoms of the flu and there is a patch of redness, I'd see my doctor -- definitely. Hope everything is ok for all of you who are having infection problems. Hugs Sharee
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 791 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views