At home 4 days post op

Lisa G.
on 9/1/06 12:47 pm - Des Moines, IA
I am home now, just got home today. Any suggestions on helping get the water in? I feel like I am drinkning all day and I feel full from just the water but the most I have been able to get in is 40 oz a day. Any hints?
burgundylady2003
on 9/2/06 12:29 am - small town, Canada
I am the same as you, same date of surgery and same day home. I am on a full fluids diet for 2 weeks, is that the same for you? My dietician did not mention so much about getting so much water in but about trying to get the protein through the fluids. She said you should be eating about a half cup every hour to get the nutrients you need. This means choices like, milk with tomato soup, yogurt, and I dont know what all. I am still trying to learn this too. I can only take in about a 1/4 c of something before I am full. Had my first craving, but it wasnt from my stomach it was from my head! My mom brought over lasagna, homemade bread and fresh tomatoes and cucumbers from her garden. Ohhh it looked so good. But I had to tell myself, am I hungry for it? no, not at all. So I had tomato soup and jello. lol This morning I woke up quite naseaous, and I knew it was because I did not eat before bed. So I had some instant oatmeal and felt better. I have to remind myself TO eat before bed and even when I don't feel like it. looking forward to hearing how you are doing, hang in there...now...time for a 1/2 c of milk..ttfn
Lisa G.
on 9/2/06 2:13 am - Des Moines, IA
I am on a liquid diet also, but I am restricted to clear broth jello and water for the first 10 days, then I get to add cottage cheese, refried beans and hard boil eggs. All of those are high in protien. I have nogt be nasaous at all yet, cross my fingers. I sat the table for a beautiful family dinner last night of all foods that I love, and I drank my water and it never bothered me once, It looked so good and smelled great, but I wasn't hungry one bit so I was not interested. Keep up the good work and we can compare notes along the way!
Ms.Traci C.
on 9/2/06 5:34 am - Southern Cal girl living in the South, AL
I am like you...on clear liquids until the 14th of September unfortunately. I am not hungry but feel like crap...well, not that bad, just tired and I still have a very painful spot on the left where my drain was. Anyone having gas issues....I burp, burp then it moves south...getting better everyday though. Traci
Patricia R.
on 9/2/06 6:50 am - Perry, MI
I am on clear liquids, broth, diet, decaf iced tea, jello and popsicles. I carry around a 32 ounce cup with iced tea in it and just sip it all day. When it is empty, I fill it again. I just keep sipping at it. I go to regular liquids Monday, but then it is llike protein drinks and shakes with yogurt and berries and stuff like that. Hugs, Trish
burgundylady2003
on 9/2/06 11:42 am - small town, Canada
It is interesting how many of us have had the same surgery and yet variations of what to eat afterwards. The dietician at the hospital explained to me how important it is to get the protein in. She said I should aim for 60 g of protein a day!! I knew it would be difficult for me, I don't really like milk and of course that is the best provider for protein on fluids. Anyway, today, I really tried, and had a whooping 12 1/2 g of protein...geez...I dont know how I am going to get to 30 yet alone 60! But I got skim milk powder and put a couple of teaspoons of it in apple sauce, wasnt too bad. btw when I can only drink 1/4 c at a time right now of milk that translates to about 2 g of protein....any ideas? I guess I need to get the protein shakes running hmm? One of you mentioned making a meal for your family and not craving it. It is strange, my mom brought over lasagna and homemade bread and oohhh it sounded/looked so good. But my stomach did not want it, it was totally my head! Tonight my daughter didnt know what to have to eat (the rest of family was out and she was at home with me). I made her homemade bread toast with garden tomatoes, one of my favourites and jus****ched her eat it! mmmmmm
MomofKate
on 9/5/06 5:14 am - Brick, NJ
This really is amazing! We are all first week post ops and it sounds like we all have different diets! I am on clear liquids. I have been living on water, crystal light, sugar and caffeine free iced tea and clear s/f gelatin. The dietician that came into my room the hour before I was discharged gave me instructions to only eat these things. No calories, nothing that even resembles something you might chew. It will be one week for me on Thursday, and from what I understand, I can then add protein drinks and s/f jello pudding, watery oatmeal, cream of wheat. I have a case of the Achieve One mocha java protein drinks that have been in my fridge for 2 months, and I can't WAIT to crack one of them open in a few days and start getting this body some NUTRITION!!! I am starving to feed myself something that will build me back up again, I have no energy level at all. The dietician said that my body (bmi of 39 before surgery) could survive for 2 weeks on water alone. I am living off my fat, how good does that sound? yummy..... Well, love to all of us AUGUST BABIES.... Michelle from NJ
Pam P.
on 9/3/06 1:36 pm - LaGrange, GA
Hey guys...finally the post I was looking for....my surgery was Monday 8/28....and I was told to stay on clear liquids until my 2 wk followup appt....but I know hardly no one does that....so on day 3 1/2 I started experimenting.... I dont want to go against what the doctor says but I know others who have done the same and have him and have had success so I must admit my biggest fear is feeling FULL or stretching my pouch....I havent felt FULL as of yet... So far I have had today....4 bites of banana..chewed to mush...one bite at a time throughout the day....5 baby spoons of oatmeal for breakfast...(runny)....a total of a half of cup of sf pudding....2 fudge bars and one popscicle......then 2 oz of protein made with skim milk....* I had to start it...I have actually missed it* I sip on water all day but not enough I dont think....I carry around a 16 oz bottle and try to get 2 in each day....but Im scared to sip too big, so they are small sips, guess I should attach it to my hip huh? Funny how doctors tell you different things...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views