First time Post! Lap RNY was August 28th

real_ironman
on 9/1/06 6:43 am - Silver Spring, MD
Just checking in to say hello and tell some of my experience. I had my surgery 7:45am Monday the 28th at Washington Adventist Hospital (WAH). My surgery had no complications (thank the lord) I wake up with them wheeling me to my room. My first day after the surgery the day nurses were taking forever with my morphine meds. I got a Anti-inflammatory called Toradol, that helped with the pain tremendously (For 5 hrs I got my dose every 6 hrs). I'm very thankful for finding this board and reading what I should expect after the surgery --- because I looked at the clock and realized that know one had come to get me up to walk. Long story short I sat up by myself got the nurse to finally come and unhook my IV after an hour of trying. It was like 6 in the evening when I finally walk with my wife (not the nurse) up and down the L shaped hall. Dr. Harrington came in that night asked me how I was feeling etc... and said I'd start my liquid diet tomorrow and going home. I figured I get my broth and stuff at lunch... a nurse told me that she was putting in my order. Anyway I didn't get anything until my wife came and complained at the front desk around 4:30 pm (I had been asking since 12:30). More Problems it took forever to get my prescription so I could be discharged I mean f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I got it, signed discharge papers and was told to wait for the wheelchair person to come and get me. 45 minutes later I walked out the hospital. WAH sucked for me. Since I've been home I been progressively feeling better. Today I straightened up the house and cooked my wife dinner for when she gets home (She loves it when I decide to cook). My pouch is kinda strange to me. My wife is surprised that I can drink so much so fast. I can drink 16oz of liquid in a little less than a hour ( I don't force it). Has anyone else experienced that?
just jacie
on 9/1/06 7:51 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi Kenneth! Congratulations on having your surgery and getting through it with no complications! As for the drinking, I don't think I'd be able to drink that much. For the first 2 weeks my dr. only wants me to be taking in 4-6 ounces every hour. I'm not sure what the reason is and how it relates to the pouch, but 16oz seems like a lot! Best of luck with everything, work it! jacie
Ms.Traci C.
on 9/1/06 8:09 am - Southern Cal girl living in the South, AL
Congrats Kenneth! Cooked dinner for your wife...wow! I think I will wash a load of clothes tonight but that is about it. I didn't take my Lortab but I did take some Tylenol...for pain. Slowly getting my fluids and protein in....not easy but I think my weeks end I will be okay. Not able to drink a lot like you...I take it nice and slow with my little pouch. Haven't had any problems so far but don't want any either. Take Care and Congrats! Traci
Julie122780
on 9/2/06 6:43 am
Congrats on your surgery! I too can drink more than I think I am supposed to be able to. I can drink a 16.9oz aquafina in an hour and a half. I heard people at the support group who were 6 months out who said it takes them 5 hours to drink that much. Kinda weird huh? Anyway I hope things get much better for you! Good luck to you! Julie
anna1916
on 9/3/06 11:11 pm - Bellmawr, NJ
Glad you are home and feeling well. You can come and cook for me anytime - I could never get my hubby to do it! His idea of "cooking" is ordering pizza!! Immediately after surgery - like the first week or so - I could do about 6 or 8 ounces an hour. They would not discharge me unless I could do 4 an hour, so I worked really hard at it. Now, if I'm sitting with a bottle in my hand, I can probably drink the 16.9 ounce bottle in about an hour (I'm one month post op). I think everyone is different - I could definitely drink more hot tea than cold water in the beginning. Now, I like the cold stuff better.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views