Why do all protein drinks taste like vomit to me?

just jacie
on 8/31/06 1:39 am - Minneapolis, MN
This is so terrible. I haven't found a single one I like. I've had packet upon packet of different brands and flavors and they all smell and taste terrible. I can't wait until I can at least eat some protein. I was doing fine with the Worldwide Pure Protein shakes when I was pre-op, but since surgery, the milky based shakes make me sick to my stomach to even think about them. This protein thing is like a sick joke. jacie
Julie122780
on 8/31/06 1:44 am
Go to the august rollcall post and try the protein shake that I suggested there I promise you will taste no protein at all! I used to have the same problem. Try it trust me. Good luck Jacie! Julie
just jacie
on 9/1/06 2:55 am - Minneapolis, MN
Julie, thank you! I went to that thread and read your suggestion and it's been much better. I had been using Designer Whey alone, and it was kind of icky. With the PB and less milk it was much better. Thanks! jacie
L.K.S.
on 8/31/06 2:11 am - Katy, TX
I had and have a REAL problem with prot shake type drinks... I think it comes from being on a medically supervised liq diet years ago and I just cannot stand them!!! YUCK! GOOD News.. Have you tried Isopure (sp?) I buy the o carb ones and get them from GNC. I buy it bottled but they also have it in powder. My favorite is the orange but they have apple melon, grape, alpine punch and so on.... IF you are having problems getting your protien in with the shake type you might give this a try... It has been a life saver for me. Hope it works for you. *They have some that are not 0 Carb.. But the 0 Carb ones are really good!
just jacie
on 9/1/06 3:00 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi Leisa! Yes, I did try Isopure and that is another one I couldn't stand the taste of. I thought it would really be my saving grace, but I get an aftertaste that just ruins my day! I did just order some stuff called New Whey protein, it's only 2.9 ounces and it has 25g of protein in it. Even if it's bad, at least it's not a huge amount. Thanks for the help! jacie
tinkerbell64
on 8/31/06 11:49 am - St. Petersburg, FL
Hi Jacie, I was having the same issue post op, I just could not tolertate any of the protein drinks I was trying the thick milk based yuk. So needless to say I wasn't getting in nearly enough protein. So finally I tried the achiev one drinks they are 9.5oz and 20mg of protein each. They are coffee based premade drinks. I love them. So I drink one in the morning and one in the evening and with my other meals I am getting 60gms of protein minimum. They come in 4 flavors but Cappacino is the best but it is back ordered until the end of Sept or Oct. I have the moca java and it is really good. They also have hazelnut and vanilla nut. You can get them from bariatric eating. I hope this helps Patty
just jacie
on 9/1/06 3:00 am - Minneapolis, MN
Thank you Patty! I will check these out too. I'd love a little variety! jacie
Julie122780
on 9/1/06 8:40 am
Welcome! I think isopure tastes like dish soap, every flavor I have tried I think tastes this way. Julie
dstlady6
on 9/9/06 1:21 am - WILKE-BARRE, PA
Jacie, I am glad to see that it is not just me. It seemed like before surgery it was fine, but now.....oh my Lord!!! I have struggled to find something I could tolerate. I did find some sort of choc. protein drink from GNC and it is not too bad. Especially, if it is cold. MMM...good. I thought Proteinex would be the answer, but to me, it tastes like rancid bile and it is all I can do NOT to throw up after getting that mess down. And, Isopure is the nastiest junk I have ever tasted. IF they can put a man on the moon, surely they can make a GOOD protein drink for us. Lady T.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views