My date is 8/28!! Who all needs to be there with me?

Pam P.
on 8/14/06 5:37 am - LaGrange, GA
Im wondering if my husband needs to be there or if he should stay home and run things at the house since my mom is coming with me. Anyone have suggestions on family attendance at the hospital? Will I need someone there at all times on surgery day and night? Right now Im asking him to stay home with the kids, of course they are grown now...18 and 15, so they wont NEED him...but I wonder since the hospital is one hour away...what we should do.... I simply can not decide and just wondered if anyone had any pointers.
pattyg
on 8/14/06 6:23 am - Springfield, IL
I had one person with me that morning - to take me to the hospital, keep all my personal belongs and call pertinant people as soon as I was out of recovery and in a room. Once I got into my room - she helped me get settled and then left (it was a LONG day for her!) Other family/friends came by off an on but I was glad that no one actually stayed. I was SO tired and at times in pain - so i did not want to feel like I had to "talk" to anyone. I could just concentrate on getting better! I guess it depends on how confident you are in the nursing staff. My suggestion is for someone to be with you the day off and then just play it by ear. If you feel you NEED someone - they can stay, but chances are you will be glad to see them go so you can get some rest!
Pam P.
on 8/14/06 6:37 am - LaGrange, GA
Thanks a bunch peppermint........I believe you are right!
lea2be
on 8/14/06 2:59 pm - LaBelle, FL
My surgery is 8/29 at 9 am. My hubby is going to take me and stay with me the day of the surgery. We live about an hour from the hospital and we have a 14 and a 17 year old daughter who will have to go to school. We're still working on how to get them to school and then back to the house since we live 3 miles from their bus stop... I have to be at the hospital at dark:30 and the girls get on the bus at 6:50 am... I'll already be at the hospital by then! LOL Hubby has two brothers about 10 minutes away. They hardly ever help with anything, but for surgery, I am hoping that they at least agree to drag themself the 7 or so miles to take my girls home from the bus stop. If not, our local postmaster is a friend and will probably give them a ride up the hill to our house as she lives at the bottom of the hill. I think it is pretty sorry to have to ask friends to do stuff like that when you have family so close! But, that is the sort of people they are. Truthfully, I am less hesitant to ask my friends as they don't usually expect to be compensated for doing it! Hubby will have to go home that night because of the girls... He will probably stay home that second day and then come back to the hospital on the next day. I'm not sure if I will get to go home on the 31st or if I'll have to stay till the 1st... I'd say that if your hubby can be there without it being a major hardship at home, have him there. You'll probably want to see him when you wake up---no matter how miserable you are! My hubby has been really supportive of my decision to have the WLS. He was not at first. But, over the months, he has talked to folks who have had the surgery as well as other truck drivers who have a family member who's had the surgery and he truly believes in the powerful tool that the surgery can be now. However, if your hubby is a hoverer and will be constantly asking if you're okay, do you need anything, should he do anything, etc, you may be better off by yourself! At least you will be able to rest! I guess it is truly different for everyone! I was by myself when I had our 17 year old... But he was there when I had the 14 year old. Did the second one go smoother because he was there? Heck no! Was I glad he was there? Yeah, you bet! I'm sort of looking forward to a quiet day in the hospital once I am post-op.... No one but me to worry about! What a unique concept! Only you can decide what is best! But, I know you'll do great!! Hugs, Lea
Pam P.
on 8/17/06 12:54 am - LaGrange, GA
Thanks Lea....yeah I think we are going to do the same... My hubby and mom will take me that morning at 530 then after he knows that I am out ok, he will head home around 2 to be there for my daughter when she gets home and to run her to do whatever she may need. I arranged to have my niece take her to school the week of surgery.... so that is ok... then my sisters and my "angel" Teena are coming after 5 to see me and they will take my mom home.....then the next day one of my sisters will come get me (they live about 30 minutes outside Atlanta), and I will go to my moms to rest...then hubby will come get me a few days later... Im like you.....I am so looking forward to PAM QUITE TIME....I dont really know what that is.........but Im anxious to learn...lol...I cant wait to get an IV and go nite nite for a while...lol and have others have to take care of themselves.... As far as my husband goes...he jokes and cuts up all the time and will probably be best friends and flirty with the nurses the whole time (he doesnt meet any strangers, just like me), but I told him if you are getting on my nerves you are gonna havta go! He loves playin with stuff in the hospital and talkin to people and I imagine he will get on my nerves...lol...you know how everyone else LOVES em but you live with em..lol omg tomorrow is our 17th anniversary and with all of this I just forgot....oops...oh man! He is really excited about the surgery...he is an X Marine so at first he thought I simply didnt have any discipline and that is why I was big and I didnt need this...but now I hear he talks to everyone about it and he is excited now that he understands that I need it...I may need a drill sargeant afterwards so he will come in handy...lol! Anyway...I wish you luck honey...keep me posted!
keeganll
on 8/15/06 6:59 am - Buda, TX
I am in the same boat as you! I am having surgery on 8/28 in San Antonio, which is an hour away from home. My husband is really upset with me because I have asked him not to stay with me at the hospital. I asked that he take me on surgery day and only stay until I am out of recovery. I want him to focus on running his business and making sure our 3 girls (14, 12, & 3) are taken care of. This will allow me to focus on walking, resting, and doing things to aid my recovery. I've had 3 c-sections, so I am expecting this to be easier since I won't have a newborn to care for this time. Also in some way, I am looking forward to some time to myself, taking care of myself. Take care and best of luck to you!
BethDawson
on 8/16/06 7:08 am - red oak, TX
my oldest son(21) stayed with me.I told my husband to go to work,that I'd be high all day anyway.It worked out well.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views