Liquid Diet

ncchris98
on 8/14/06 11:11 pm - Granite Falls, NC
Uggghhhhhh! This liquid diet really sucks. I'm not sure how I am going to get through 10 days of it. Low-carb slimfast is the worst. It tastes bad going down and leaves an awful after taste in my mouth. The dietician said that we can have as many as wanted but had to drink at least 3 a day. I managed to get 2 down yesterday, but just could not stomach the 3rd one last night. I drank some chicken broth yesterday afternoon and ate a sugarfree popsicle and a sugarfree jello last night. I am trying to choke down another slimfast this morning, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get it all down. In all my 36 years, I've always ate when I was hungry so this is a hard row to hoe for me. Just keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Last night when my family was having dinner, I went to my bedroom to watch TV but ended up crying about 30 minutes. Yesterday was the toughest day. We had an employee day at the college yesterday. They served a continental breakfast, which I couldn't have, then they served lunch with BBQ, chicken, potatoes, slaw, green beans, rolls, banana pudding, and tea. I wouldn't have been there except it was required because during the lunch they do the employee awards. I just sat there with my glass of water. One of the toughest things I've ever done, but I made it through yesterday. One day at a time I guess. Well I'm going to get back to work. Have a blessed day. Chris
Shiela
on 8/15/06 3:23 am - Elgin, TX
Hi Chris, My name is Shiela and I am doing the liquid diet as well, I do not have a surgery date as of yet. I am doing my sleep study tonight, and then we approach insurance company for approval. Your right the liquid diet is hard. I am doing GNC Lean Shake it is pretty good actually. However I do miss the solid food. I have fallen from grace on this myself and it is not an easy task when you are use to eating. I wish you all the best and I will be begging for your support too. Good luck and will be here for you. Shiela
Heather T.
on 8/15/06 3:55 am - Bucks County, PA
Hi Chris, Hang in there. Congrats that you made it through a very tough day. Just think of the strength that you will have to encounter these situtations post-op because you are conquering them now. Truly take it one day at a time and everything else will follow! Good luck on the 24th and everyday after! Heather T.
Kelle F.
on 8/15/06 8:06 pm - Springboro, OH
Not sure if you can have other things than Slim Fast but the following two recipes have been life savers post op for me. Maybe they will help you too. I cannot even swallow the Slim Fast stuff so I completely understand your problem. I get the Matrix 5.0 from Amazon.com, don't know where else to find it. Maybe your doc can bless these recipes, they really have been the only thing I enjoy in the protein drink arena. Kelle Peanut Butter Cup ½ cup milk, skim 1 scoop Matrix 5.0, Perfect Chocolate 1 TBSP peanut butter, creamy 4 ice cubes Blend for 45 seconds on high. Makes one serving. Nutrition information per serving: 258 calories, 31 grams of protein, 10 grams fat, 246 sodium, 301 calcium Apple Shake ¾ cup milk, skim 1 scoop Matrix 5.0, Simply Vanilla ½ cup applesauce (no sugar added) Pinch cinnamon Pinch nutmeg 4 ice cubes Blend for 45 seconds on high. Makes one serving. Nutrition information per serving: 237 calories, 29grams of protein, 2 grams fat, 197 sodium, 377 calcium
LEAH W.
on 8/17/06 11:32 am - MCKEES ROCKS, PA
Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I am in the exact same boat as you are It is in deed hard. I started the liquid diet on Sunday and did just fine until yesterday I had to go to a luncheon at the Olive garden and although I didn't totally pig out, I did eat some food. Today was much better. I have until Sunday to be able to drink the protein shakes along with the other clear liquids. After Sunday it's all Clear liquids. This is the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm sure it's so hard for us because we're still hungry. I pray that after the surgery when I have to remain on liquids at least I won't be starving. Good luck to you, I know it's hard but it won't be forever.
LuckyD
on 8/18/06 10:19 am - Kansas City, MO
I too am on pre-op liquid diet. One thing my surgeon said was okay is Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast (Blue Box) made with 1 cup skim milk plus 1/3 cup instant non-fat dry milk powder. It comes in both a chocolate and french vanilla, and I have found both of them to be palatable. Good luck!
just jacie
on 8/19/06 3:10 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi Chris!! I really feel for you here. It is so tough to do this liquid diet before surgery. I am so envious of those who dont' have to do it before. I think afterwards is a different story because your stomach is smaller! It's extra hard to do with a regular stomach. I have had a few cheat moments over the last week, but I am trying to do everything I can! I've cried too, it's been very emotional, and every little thing is stressing me out. I guess I never realized how much I ate to relieve stress!! Hang in there, do your best! Things will be better soon. I do have to laugh though because I've never looked so forward to being able to just eat cottage cheese of all things! lol. Jacie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 790 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views