Home Safe and Sound

cmdavitt
on 8/9/06 6:06 am - Long Valley, NJ
Hello all! I'm grateful to report that I am home safe and sound and according to plan - (drain out). I still can't believe it went so well. I did have an allergic reaction to the dilaudid (IV pain meds)- I knew I was allergic to morphine already. Got flushed and a big rash. And suffered through a gap in time between stop of the IV pain meds and the kicking in of the oral pain meds. However, the nurses were very good and responsive when I called them. Kind and cheerful. Advice - here - when you get your first tray of clear liquids - don't eat it all at once!!!! My roommate who had the same surgery I did at the same time (different surgeon) drank all her broth at once and then was miserable and bloated the rest of the day! The nurses suggested sippping the liquids and making the breakfast tray last till lunch, the lunch tray till dinner and the dinner tray till bedtime. That seemed to work out well. When I went for a walk, I left a note on the tray saying "Don't take!" so that the dietary workers would leave the tray for me to finish. I wasn't able to eat all of any tray but I am doing better as time goes on. Well, time to rest a little - my deep thanks for all your support and encouragement. Best to all waiting for their turn "at bat!" Love and hugs to all - Chris Davitt
aleks1381
on 8/9/06 10:26 pm - toronto, Canada
Hi....Congrats Christina ,.You did it girl.....How did u have it.?Open or lap? How do you feel now?God bless you...
Ramona_Lisa
on 8/10/06 7:40 am - Ramona, CA
Hi Chris, Congratulations. I'm just home from surgery too. I finished about 20 laps around our house for my first recommended 10 min walk of 8 a day. The sipping propel for me is what I'm trying to get the hang of. I'm a little nervous--but a lot of that is due to the big doings on the news today. I work for American Airlines. I'm on medical leave just now, but when return our normal routes are back and forth to Heathrow from LAX, as well as flights to Japan and Hawaii. Its a little deja vu sadness I guess--mixed in with the wobblies of just getting home again. Bravo again on your triumph! Keep up the good work. Lisa in Ramona, CA
nanahanna
on 8/11/06 12:50 am - AR
Chris and Lisa, glad you are both doing well. I got home yesterday and am also doing well...just a little shakey and weak. I did the same thing with the food trays..kept them until the next was delivered. I wasn't able to eat everything either but I didn't want to overdo it. Off we go ladies....to our new lives!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 791 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views