Are you Bypass or Band???

Patricia R.
on 8/10/06 1:43 pm - Perry, MI
I am having Open RNY on the 28th. I chose the RNY because of the sugar and fats. I need that so much. Good luck with whatever you choose. Hugs, Trish
Lessofme
on 8/10/06 2:09 pm - Plainview, NY
Lap RNY tomorrow. Chose bypass 'cause it would be too easy for me to out-eat the band. I need more stringent bio-feedback when I make a poor food choice. I wanted something permenent. I also saw a statistic during my doctor's group presentation that showed that band patients were more likely to need a second surgery at some point. I would have to check with my doctor's office on the actual stat and source of information, but I recall that influencing my decision. Going for fills doesn't suit my personality. I conferred with my husband as to which he thought I would be more successful with and he thinks the bypass too. Lastly, while there are a number of different opinions about which surgery is more successful, the majority of the liturature today suggests that on whole, bypass has better success rate for more weight lost and kept off. That said, on this board there are many people who have shared their tremendous success with the band. And from other sources, I have heard great things about the lap band, but it just didn't seem like a good fit for me. Hope this helps. I wish you well. Suzanne
reggiet1
on 8/10/06 3:41 pm - Cleveland, TX
Laproscopic RNY 8/14/06 Did not wish for re-fills. Plus I believe this is the right fit for me.
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/06 12:48 am - MI
Great questions... I am having the Lap RNY on wednesday aug. 16th and can't wait. I wanted the RNY because it has a great amount of weight loss sooner, and I didn't care for the maintenance with the lapband. Good luck to everyone out there this month. Cheryl
Tanya-RN
on 8/11/06 5:02 am - Spring, TX
I chose to have a Lap RNY for several reasons. At first since I was a lightweight I thought the band would be better and then I did research. I am an ICU RN at the hospital where I was having my surgery and I saw how many RNY vs bands came into my unit with complications. We had 3 more bands come in compaired to the RNY. Also the refills are a problem for me- that is where you can burst the band or dislodge the placement and I dont like needles ( go figure I am a nurse ). Lastly I went on a search for long term research and there is not a HUGE amount of long term studies with the band and that concerned me. If i am going to do something so life changing I want to know what the possibilites are like. And knowing that the band can be reversed made me think with my will power and thinking will I eat around it and just get it adjusted. With the RNY there is no adjusting- just my williness to make it work for me. I am not saying anyone who chose the band are wrong or bad I am proud of each and every person and support them to the heavens. This was just MY reasons. I am 9 days out and had my post op visit with my doctor and I have lost 16lbs and I feel wonderful. I am waiting for each of you on the bench of losers and will say a huge prayer for you on your surgery date. KEEP me updated... Hugs, Tanya
Heather T.
on 8/11/06 1:07 pm - Bucks County, PA
I am LAP RNY on Monday 8/14. It is the right choice for me because I was afraid that I would eat around the band and sweets are my major issue! Good luck to you! Heather T.
Kevin A.
on 8/12/06 4:59 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Laproscopic RNY because that what my insurance would pay for!!! Best wishes everybody!!!
Heather J.
on 8/13/06 5:59 am - Raleigh, NC
I had the Lap Band on 8/8/06. By now, I'm having very little pain and still haven't felt hungry yet. My husband keeps eating tempting-smelling foods, but I have had no desire to eat them. The hardest part was not just picking up an apple chip sample in the grocery store without thinking about it.
LEAH W.
on 8/17/06 12:04 pm - MCKEES ROCKS, PA
Lap Rny on 8/25/06 I did a lot of research, but felt that because of my weight and my issue with sweets that the rny would be best for me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 791 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views