One Week Post Op Check-up - Protein Question!

anna1916
on 8/8/06 5:19 am - Bellmawr, NJ
I had my one week visit with Dr. Nusbaum last night All is going well, and I have lost Drum Roll LOL 24 pounds!!!! So today, I go to full liquids, which I did not know includes oatmeal, pudding, and yogurt (what kind of yogurt?? he just said no fruit chunks). Here's my question - The protein is already killing me. I get to the bathroom as soon as I get through the drink. I do much better with warm or room temp drinks, and the cold protein shake did a number on me. Is there no protein pill? Is there a better way to do this? Will I have diarrhea for the rest of my life? Thanks, guys. Anna
Jen F.
on 8/8/06 5:52 am - Minneapolis, MN
There are no protein supplements. It's the only thing in our diet that can't be supplemented. That's why we have to eat protein, but we can take everything else in pill form. There are a lot of protein powders available on the market that you can add to the foods you can tolerate. Some come in flavors and some are flavorless. I've heard the AnyWhey flavorless is great for mixing in soups, pudding, etc. You might have to try a couple of different ones to find something you like. Protein powder can be found at nutrition stores and are starting to appear in many grocery stores. I've even heard Wal-Mart has a pretty good tasting protein powder. From HealthNotes.com: Protein powders are concentrated sources of protein that fall somewhere between food and supplement. They're usually fortified with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and are an alternative way to add protein to any diet. Protein powders are usually based on soy protein, whey protein, egg albumen, rice protein, or other sources. Varieties Protein powders are available in canisters in plain and flavored varieties--the plain varieties are bland and nearly tasteless, making them easy to incorporate into foods. Natural varieties with no artificial ingredients are also available. Buying and storing tips Look for protein powders in the supplement section of health food stores, or in the specialty foods section of some supermarkets. Store protein powders in a cool, dark location for 6 to 12 months. Availability Protein powder is available year-round. Preparation, uses, and tips Combine protein powder with yogurt, raspberries, and almonds in a blender and purée for a quick breakfast. Add unflavored protein powder to cooked oatmeal, cereal, breads, cookies, or other baked goods for added protein. Nutritional Highlights Protein powder, 1 oz. (28g) Calories: 110 Protein: 23g Carbohydrate: 2.0g Total Fat: less than 1.0g Nutritional content varies per product.
anna1916
on 8/8/06 6:50 am - Bellmawr, NJ
Thanks, Jen. I was afraid of that. I guess I'll just keep close to the potty until my body decides cold is good
pattyg
on 8/9/06 2:38 am - Springfield, IL
Congrats on the 24 pounds! I go in for my check tomorrow. I am having a hard time with the drinks to - BUT what I can do is the unflavored powder. I mix it in my jello, pudding, oatmeal, soap, yogurt - whatever! I am finding myself getting about 40 grams without really trying becuase I do not have to try to stomach those drinks. So far the potty has not been to bad of an issue for me - expecially since I can do some full liquids and will start soft proteins tommorrow after the doc. Good luck and you are doing great!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 791 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views