I'm starting to get nervous

Jen F.
on 8/7/06 2:12 am - Minneapolis, MN
I'm having surgery a week from tomorrow and I'm really starting to get nervous. I've been reading up about the surgery for months. I've met plenty of people who've had surgery and visited them in the hospital. That doesn't bother me. I think I'm most upset about going in, changing into the gown, getting my IV and walking to the operating room. That has just got me in knots today. I know at that point, I'll be out, so nothing will bother me to recovery, which isn't upsetting. I know I'll be gassy and achy and tired, and that doesn't bother me either. It just kind of feels like I'll be lamb to the slaughter. There's something terribly unnatural feeling about going (willingly) someplace to get knocked out and cut open. Anyone else? Any other first time surgery people?
rayzgurl
on 8/7/06 10:06 am - Gautier, MS
Hi Jen, My surgery is a week from tomorrow also. I've had surgery before, so that part really doesn't bother me. It's the big change. :-o Life is never going to be the same part that is giving me the willies. :-)
losingmn
on 8/7/06 10:10 am - MN
Believe me your not alone. I'm having surgery also on the 15th and even though I have complete faith in my surgeon I'm nervous as heck. You have made a BIG decision, to help improve your life. Keep reading in this site it's helped me, that others have gone through it already.
dstlady6
on 8/7/06 10:33 am - WILKE-BARRE, PA
My surgery is 8/14/06 (BPD w/DS). Oh Lord, yes I am nervous. I am having all kinds of thoughts...like "what if the surgeon doesn't make my stomach small enough...." or "what if I don't do what I am supposed to do and don't lose weight?" Which I know, in reality, will not happen. But, it does help to see that we are not alone and at least have this forum to chat with each other. Who else could understand this but people that went through it or that are about to go through it? Lady T.
ncchris98
on 8/8/06 2:20 am - Granite Falls, NC
My surgery is scheduled for August 24, and I go for pre-op on Thursday. I see that we are all having the same feelings of nervousness. Nice to know I have fellow pre-ops feeling the same way I am. Makes me feel more sane now....hahah I keep thinking about all the what if's. I think I should have waited until after my surgery to read the WLS Memorial Page. That really brought tears to my eyes, and made me start thinking about "what if I don't make it through this surgery", but then I was looking at a lot of the before and after pictures so now I feel more confident again. My husband keeps telling me that I will be fine. Of course I know in my heart that everything will be fine, but my head keeps telling me other things... One day at a time....that's the best way to take it. I guess I'll start the liquid diet either Friday or Monday. I'm not sure if I'll have to be on the liquid diet 2 weeks or 10 days. Either way it will be tough because I like to eat. I hope you all have a great day! Chris
goldenswan
on 8/8/06 8:32 am - PA
Jen congrats on your date.I have my surgery on thursday.i have had many surgerys ,but this is the only one I chose to have.the rest were emergency ones or i would have had them.I'm such a baby when it comes to hospitals.having panic disorder help any...Good luck to you ..you will do just fine HUGS Kay
Kelle F.
on 8/9/06 9:36 am - Springboro, OH
Jen, I'm six days post opp and this was my first major surgery so I completely understand what you are feeling. What I can tell you is that the time from where you are to where I am has really gone so quickly I can hardly remember it. My three days and nights in the hospital went really fast and I met some amazing health care professionals each step of the way whose job is to make you as comfortable and informed as possible. Use them. Rely on them, they will be your angels! I have to also say, for me, that prayer helped more than I could say and you'll be in my prayers. Any questions as you are going, I'm just a couple weeks ahead of you in the game and am looking for buddies going through what I am. Take a deep breath (believe me you'll be doing plenty of breathing exercises after too) it will be here before you know it! Kelle
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 791 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views