Question for the new post ops's/veteren post ops?????

Tanya-RN
on 8/6/06 3:29 am - Spring, TX
Hey I am curious what foods are you drinking/eating? Are you adding protein already yet? Having any trouble with all of the vitamins? Get tired more easily and take naps? For the Lap RNY's--- does your tummy still feel bloated and full almost like pregnancy? How much are you walking each day or what other forms of exercise are you doing? How much water are you getting in? Any weight lose already? Did you gain after surgery? How is your pain level and any nausea or vomitting yet? Tanya 252/254/140 ( was 261) when I came home from the hospital
Tanya-RN
on 8/6/06 3:41 am - Spring, TX
Here are my answers: 1. drinking/eating: chicken broth, jello, low fat, no sugar yogurt, S/F popciles, cream of wheat and tried a protein shake made with whey protein . All of these is only 2oz 2. not yet except for the whey protein shake I made- it was too sweet 3. I am taking 2 childrens chewables vitamins, b12 sublinqual, Calcium, colace 4. I end up taking at least one nap a day, I get so worn out doing and moving. 5. totally bloated and full feeling throughout my entire tummy. 6. I am running around the house and have a 2 story with 14 stairs, going to walk my block tonight when it cools down and I am setting up my treadmil today. 7. I am drinking water all of the time it seems but when I keep track i am only getting in 20oz. How do you get it all in???? 8. I went in 252 and left the hospital 261 and today I am at 254. i was given 4 bags of IV fluid during and after cause I became dehydrated. Not fair to come out heavier... 9. Very little pain if any, i have taken liquid loratab and only taken it 2 times since I came home 2 days ago. I am always sick to my stomach so they gave me a patch to wear- it last for 3 days at a time.
KRISTI C.
on 8/6/06 4:51 am - MERRILLVILLE, IN
RNY on 08/01/06 with
Hey I am curious what foods are you drinking/eating? water, broth, sf jello, diet snapple, protein drink for breakfast, fish & chicken (really fine). Are you adding protein already yet? yes some Having any trouble with all of the vitamins? no - childrens chewable, liquid calcium & liquid b12 Get tired more easily and take naps? yes For the Lap RNY's--- does your tummy still feel bloated and full almost like pregnancy? No, still sore, but I don't look pregnant anymore... How much are you walking each day or what other forms of exercise are you doing? Just walking for right now. How much water are you getting in? not enough Any weight lose already? Did you gain after surgery? scale is telling loss of 14 How is your pain level and any nausea or vomitting yet? pain level good (1 or 2) no nausea or vomiting. Kristi surgery: 8-1-06
Danielle M.
on 8/6/06 6:03 am - Meridian, MS
Hey I am curious what foods are you drinking/eating? I have a very conservative doctor and I am only on clear liquids...Broth, SF Popcicles, Water, Ice Chips, Crystal Light, etc. Are you adding protein already yet? No he won't let me yet. Having any trouble with all of the vitamins? Nope Chewable Vitamins. Get tired more easily and take naps? I do get tired and today is my first day without a nap probably from the lack of meds now. For the Lap RNY's--- does your tummy still feel bloated and full almost like pregnancy? It feels bloated at times but I do not have much trouble with it...gotta love chewable gas ex. How much are you walking each day or what other forms of exercise are you doing? I am just walking around the house right now but I do it OFTEN!!! Keep that circulation up!!!! How much water are you getting in? Not nearly enough I am sure. Any weight lose already? Did you gain after surgery? I am not sure if gained or not after surgery but I can tell you when I got home yesterday I was down 12 pounds less than a week out but I have no idea how much of that was from the liquid diet before surgery. How is your pain level and any nausea or vomitting yet? My tummy is still very sore on the left side. My surgery was lap and took over 4 hours because of a bleeding issue with me plus I had a 6 hour car trip home from the hospital so my situation is not typical. I can tell you that my pain level gets better every day! I still take 1 Lortab during the day and 2 before bed. Hopefully, that will lessen very soon! I am ready to run a marathon but my body won't let me!!! Good luck!!! Hugs, Danielle
Barbara G.
on 8/6/06 10:08 pm - Salem, OH
Hey I am curious what foods are you drinking/eating? Crystal lite, 1 % milk, ckn broth, beef broth, tomato consomme, diet hot chocolate, nestle instant breakfast, sugar free lite yogurt - blenderized and strained, sugar free pudding, sugar free lowfat vanilla ice cream blenderized and added to other things, slimfast high protein drink, bananas and strawberries - blenderized and strained then added to protein drink and to slimfast, two kinds of protein so far ( strawberry Kiwi and banana yogurt) both made into thin milkshakes, cream of ckn soup-blenderized-strained and thinned with 1% milk. Are you adding protein already yet? Yes, I started second day home. I got some really good tasting stuff before surgery. My one drink yesterday was a strawberry banana shake which my son tasted and said no-one would ever know it was protein. If you want to know the website where I found it let me know. Having any trouble with all of the vitamins? Yes, and no. If I take the chewable centrums (which the doctor prescribed) they don't fill my pouch and are not as heavy in my pouch. But, if I take the special Bariatric Phase One vitamins that I bought, they fill me up and there are 5 of them about the size of a nickel. So I think I'm going to stick with centrum until my pouch holds a little more. Get tired more easily and take naps? Not really, well in the hospital yes, but since home, no. For the Lap RNY's--- does your tummy still feel bloated and full almost like pregnancy? I don't have any bloating, just a little swelling on my left side. How much are you walking each day or what other forms of exercise are you doing? Walking, walking walking. But not as much as the rest of you, obviously. I will do better today. How much water are you getting in? My nutritionist said not to drink water. He explained to us that it causes 'surface tension' and makes your pouch feel full on just a little bit. So he advised us to drink diluted fruit juices ( 4oz juice + 2 oz water), crystal lite and diet Iced tea, regular coffee and tea. And low fat milk as tolerated. That way you get hydrated but not so full . That is what I am doing. So far I have averaged 5-6 8oz beverages, including protein and broth. Any weight lose already? six pounds Did you gain after surgery? only 1.5 pounds How is your pain level and any nausea or vomitting yet? My pain is on my left side and hurts when I get up out of bed or into it. And boy! When I cough I think I'm going to rip. My Dr. said he had to cut a major muscle on my left side to get to stuff and I think that is the problem. I sure wish I knew how long this will last. hugs, Barbara
Barbara G.
on 8/6/06 10:19 pm - Salem, OH
p.s. no nausea and no vomiting. But I did eat too fast and take one too many bites and had that 'pain in the chest' thing. Whew! I had to lie down an hour and a half, had the chills, clammy skin-- but thankfully no heart palpitations. hugs, Barbara
Tanya-RN
on 8/7/06 2:33 am - Spring, TX
Barbara- I am thrilled you are doing better. Was this last bit a possble dumping? I have not had those feelings yet so I am wise to hear how others are not having them and what triggers them. I get that thanksgiving fullness after I eat my food that can last over an hour most times if I eat cream of wheat, yogurt- but the s/f popsciles and broth go in well and sit well inside. It was suggested that i try green tea or hot tea in general and it was wonderful. I get more fluid in and the warmth I get from it makes my stomach calm... Keep me updated and I am so happy for you!!!! hugs, Tanya
Holly M.
on 8/7/06 2:20 am
My Meals: sf pudding, sf jello, sf yogurt, apple/peach sauce, broth. I add protien to everything. If I can't get protien from it I don't eat it. Liquids: H2O, crystal light, mint tea w/splenda They have had me taking pills since a day out of surgery. It freaked me out at first but I haven't had any problems getting them down. GMy pain meds make me tired. And yes I get worn out easly. Naps are a must for me! I'm still bloated because my hemorhiods dont allow me to pass gass or have BMs like most other post ops I'm just walking for exercise I drink about 35-45oz of liquids + meals I gained a few lbs after surgery and now I have lost those and am down a couple more. My pain level is still high because of the hemmorhiods and the issuses they cause but the pain from the actual surgery has greatly subsided. I have only been felt sick once and have never thrown up.
pattyg
on 8/8/06 1:15 am - Springfield, IL
Hey I am curious what foods are you drinking/eating? Driking Water, Crystal Light and Sugar free Koolaid. I also freeze the koolaid and then my daughter makes me a snow cone with it! Are you adding protein already yet? yes - made sugar free jello with my protien. Also doing the stalone puddings. Having any trouble with all of the vitamins? no - mine a chewable and I take one 5 times a day Get tired more easily and take naps? yes - this is what threw me for a loop. I was not expecting how exhausted I get with the littest tasks. For the Lap RNY's--- does your tummy still feel bloated and full almost like pregnancy? No- mine is more like i did a million sit ups, or someone hit me really hard over and over. it is a dull ache more than anything. it does talk alot though! How much are you walking each day or what other forms of exercise are you doing? just walking and leg/arm stretches. I get in about 1/2 mile - a bit at a time. How much water are you getting in? about 40 oz a day Any weight lose already? Did you gain after surgery? Don't know. have not gotten on the scale. My Doc only wants us to weigh at his office - so I will know where I am at my one week check on Friday. How is your pain level and any nausea or vomitting yet? Pain is fine. Have not taken any pain meds since Sun Morning. Just kinda achy all over. No nausea or vomitting yet. Just EXTREME tiredness!
Julie122780
on 8/8/06 5:36 am
My surgery was 8-3 I have had a lot of broth, popsicles, crystal light, juice diluted with water, I also had some creamy soups with no problems. I have started adding protein, today I could only take half of my HMR 70 protein shake because its so filling. I am not having problems at all with the vitamins. I had an open RNY and I know that I feel bloated like crazy and my drains are leaking all over my shirt! I have been walking around the house and walking from the front to back yard but I was sent home on oxygen so I have to lug that thing around with me everywhere. I do not know wether I have lost any weight yet because I have not weighed myself I am sure I have though and I will post when I find out, but I have a lot lot to lose so I am sure I have dropped some. Pain level is getting better every day, I did have a lot of nausea but it was from the lortab elixir I was taking and I am 5 days post op and taking no pain meds at all. Good luck! Julie 470/?/don't have a goal yet
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 791 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views