nausea and pain meds

reggiet1
on 8/5/06 3:21 pm - Cleveland, TX
I have a question what kind of pain meds do they give you while in the hospital and when you go home? Second is I remember when I have had a few knee surgeries both times I had nausea so bad with the pain meds they had to give me something else to control it I mean it was automatic up chuck. and I do not and i mean do not want to even give my stomach that chance to do that and mess up something inside. The way I see it if I try to throw up / dry heave it might undo something we just done. And my doc did not put me on liquids before but I have a feeling maybe I should do liquids to clean out system so it will be easier any thoughts?
nanahanna
on 8/6/06 6:34 am - AR
Reggie, I am having my surgery tomorrow morning and I plan on asking them before they even take me to surgery to be sure they give me something for nausea before I even wake up and start using my morphine pump. I have never had morphine before and don't know how I will react to it. The last time I had surgery it was for a broken ankle and they gave me demerol shots which worked well and I was not nauseated at all. There is a patch they can put on you to keep the nausea at bay plus there are IV meds they can give you for it too. Good luck. See you on the losing side!
AngelFrost
on 8/7/06 12:48 pm
You sound just like me, when they give me mediicine I felt like I was being overdosed and then I would go to sleeep then I would vomit or dry heave. Mine happens with every surgery. They try to give me different types of anti nauseau and I still vomit then they give me another....until I say STOP! Then I go without pain meds and without the nauseau meds and let the anesthesia from the surgery wear off. The pain isn't even that bad, it is the dang vomiting and dry heaves that drive me nuts. I tell my doctors about what happens and they tell me I am drug sensitive. Hmmmm well I had my surgery on the first and guess what- I vomited blood and dry heaved for 1 and 1/2 days with them trying 3 different anti nauseau drugs. For pain I am not sure what they had me on, maybe morphine- they said I can press the button each 15 minutes. I pressed it once and dry heaved so no more for me. I took awhile for them to stop giving me anything and finally the secons day I started to feel a bit better and it had been 2 hours since I heaved and the nurse walked in with anti nauseau shot-hehehe I yellled at her and told her to leave. She left and left the shot sit there. I am not a mean person but when heaving all the time I wanted to die and if they kept giving me junk it would keep up. No more heaving for me. I cam home and have Loritab liquid and I take 2 teaspoons of that when needed and that doesn't seem to make me nausious so I usually take it before bed. email me at [email protected] if you want to chat. Angel
Julie122780
on 8/8/06 5:43 am
I had my surgery 8-3 and the second I mentioned feeling nauseous they were right there with an injection in my IV, they do not want you to feel nauseous and they do have things that they can give you to make you feel better. My actual real pain didn't start until I left the hospital because I had an epidural which was awesome! If that is an option do it!! I did have dry heaves when I got home for 2 days and I was told that it was from the Lortab elixir they gave me for pain. I just stopped taking it, and the pain is not so bad that I cannot tolerate it. Good luck!! Julie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 791 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views