diet and CPAP help????

Lisa G.
on 8/1/06 11:14 am - Des Moines, IA
With surgery looming at the end of the month, I need to drop a few more pounds, before my pre-op appt which is the 17th. I have been sick with a cold so I have not felt up to exercising. Any tips on how to decrease my appetite, increase my energy? Also how to you use a CPAP when your nose is plugged up? I am struggling at night.
Jen F.
on 8/2/06 7:12 am - Minneapolis, MN
I cannot use my CPAP when I'm stuffed up. It just ends up blowing snot down my throat which makes me cough. I sleep without it when I'm sick. How much weight do you need to lose before the 17th? Right now I'm doing a liquid diet of Carnation Instant Breakfast + skim milk. You could do it for breakfast and lunch which would only be about 300 calories then eat a sensible dinner (low fat protein, little or no carbs, veggies and low sugar fruit). Take a multivitamin to make sure you're nutritionally balanced.
Kerry H.
on 8/2/06 12:13 pm - Worcester, MA
Nose spray works wonders. When I first got my CPAP my DR also gave me a script for Flonase. I have also used store brand 12 decongestant nose spray. Be careful though it can keep you awake at night. Just walk if you can. Do the little things, like park your car father away at work or the stores. Take the stairs etc. Also try increasing your protein and decreasing carbs. Go for the good carbs. Have you ever tried the South Beach Diet? It works great for immediate results. The first few days is hard. You get headachy and are hungry, but it does subside after a few days. I hope everything goes well for you. Kerry
Most Active
Recent Topics
Zinc Deficiencies
MelMoyl · 0 replies · 724 views
Up 40lbs
debbyeforu · 0 replies · 791 views
5 years!
AnnD · 1 replies · 838 views
LIFE at almost 4 years postop!
lea2be · 4 replies · 967 views