DS question

bryden1401
on 2/12/10 4:26 am
I think i have noticed most of us here have had the RNY or bad. I went to a information seminar my surgeon had last nigth to be an "inspiration" to  people thinking of having surgery. Must say don't think of myself that way btu anyhoo.

I never looked into a DS(doudenal switch) because it is one procedure that my surgeon and most in the city won't do, but i didn't realize that it basically is a procedure that takes most of your intestines out is this right? I mean that seems so dangerous.  In fact i had never heard of it until i looked on here. It seems so scary does anyone else know about it?

I think my scale finally moved again yay. But i am not getting to excited because then it will stop lol! Alright have a nice Valentines day weekend everyone!

Consult weight 329
surgery weight 318
current weight 177
goal 165

AshleyDillo
on 2/12/10 8:29 am - Tallahassee, FL

Check out the DS board if you are really curious.  The DS was the surgery I most wanted, but there are no surgeons in Florida that perform it and it wasn't likely my insurance would have accepted it anyways.

The DS is a restriction and malaborsptive procedure.  They make a sleeve of your stomach (like the VSG) and also do the intestinal bypassing.  

Generally the DS is a good option for the super-obese as it does drastically reduce the weight.  Additionally, DSers tend to malabsorb fat for life, so they can eat higher fat foods without as much risk of weight gain.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

georgiapeachinla
on 2/13/10 12:24 am
Yeah most DOC's wont... very dangerous surgery.. Even though they can perform it the same way gastric is perform.. but they don't take out the intestines they bypass longer than the gastric does.. so meaning also every fat they eat literally is not introduced into the system.. but gastric does bypass some of the intestine but not as far as the DS.. the only side effect is they can have up to 3 to 4 loose bowels a day or more.. loud gas odors.. a guy friend of mine had it.. he had to get permission form insurance .. he went to Toronto Canada.. to get.. the bonus to this surgery.. weight usually remains off for good... he went from 470lbs to 230lbs.. They also have a strict diet, in which they can not eat a lot of foods high in fat.. this causes the bad gas odor.. and 3 to 4 loose stools a day..
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."   
Lisa 

Emilie J.
on 2/18/10 5:25 am
Hi darlin, great job on the weight loss :)

I had to clear up a few misunderstandings with your post. The DS is not a "very dangerous" surgery. It comes with risk, and complications, no doubt about that, but so does RNY, sleeve, and the band. I wish I had a study that cited the actual mortality rate offhand, but I don't. (Can find one though if OP or you really want to see) I seem to recall mortality rate was almost identical to RNY?

The website you linked to does not have accurate information. It doesn't even state that the DS can be done laprascopically, which it can be.

Most doctors don't do it because you have to go through intense training for it, spend much more time learning how to do it, with the RNY, you only have to go through a short seminar in order to perform the surgery. Yet, they get paid about the same. And how would they perform it the same way RNY is performed when it is an entirely different procedure?

As far as "loud gas odors".....mmmmm....I know plenty o peeps, who don't even have surgery, who have loud gas, or gas with odors, whatever it was you meant to say.

And, yes, high fat can cause diarrhea, but there are some DS peeps who have to eat lots of fat because otherwise they get very constipated.

I would say our diet is the least strict of them all myself. Go easy on the simple carbs. There. That's it. That's our diet. Aside from high protien and all that, which I think you guys have to stick to as well?

I don't think it's fair to state things as fact based on one experience you had with your friend. I'm not starting drama, just clearing up some things. I really do think your weight loss is phenominal!!
Emilie, mom, wife, Nurse........superhero
It's about the Wow's!   
georgiapeachinla
on 2/18/10 10:24 pm
http://www.iabsobesitysurgery.com/Pages/IABS-DS.html
We'll maybe you were not over 400 lbs like my friend was and had to be split as if he had open heart surgery.. since most patients that do this surgery  BM1 are normally over 55.. but he repeatly has occurence of loud gas.. bowel movements up to 4 times per day.. you should check this clinic link.. same statements from one of the few DOC;s conducting  this surgery ..also even thought is can be done lapo it takes a longer healing period that's, because of the increase chances of infection  because of the greater length of intestines that are bypassfor this.. I thing I don't try to do is be a know it  but some people think that once the have surgery their version is only the right way and they have a PHD on the subject ... you and everyone on the website are learning the new life we now have..believe me there are many information, and views by many DOC's, and people alike.. just like I do not agree with everything you state, but it is American and you have a right to state anything whether it is right or wrong.. just like you feel like something I said where wrong , I feel like somethings you give in your statement is mis-informed.. so whatever you take from my statement is your view.. what ever suits you go for I just decided not to do because of the greater risk of infections, and healing time... good luck with your weight loss .. and feel free to always visit JULY RYN board we all get along here.. and NO we don't want no drama.. good luck and this will be the end of my final statement.. I will not respond to not additional response.. which we shouldn't WE HAVE A NEW LIFE TO LIVE GIRLIE.."
Peace & Luv
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."   
Lisa 

lov2teach
on 2/15/10 11:53 am, edited 2/18/10 2:32 pm - CA
Lots of inaccurate information in the 1st two posts. Check out the DS forum for the correct information about DS.

Thank you Emilie for your reply. You are much more articulate than me.
georgiapeachinla
on 2/15/10 10:44 pm
http://www.obesityaction.org/educationaltools/brochures/uwlo /wls.php
Actually read the following link... and by the way we don't  have drama on JULY board.. the information that I put in link was from observing my friend who had DSsurgery...I was undecided on whether I wanted this DS or Gastric.. everyone has their own views.. no one on this board is a DOC... Now you have a pleasant day!!
Lisa 

Emilie J.
on 2/18/10 10:55 pm
Oh no problem, you were just short and sweet to the point!! That was fine :)
It's about the Wow's!   
Emilie J.
on 2/18/10 5:16 am
No, they don't remove your intestines, but a very large portion of your intestine is bypassed. If you really want accurate information, check out www.dsfacts.com, and/or www.duodenalswitch.com.
It's about the Wow's!   
Emilie J.
on 2/18/10 10:44 pm

A reply and block....very mature and undrama like of you lol. No sweat off my back. Good luck to you Peach.

It's about the Wow's!   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views