Constipation, TMI?

Laura_Illinois
on 2/5/10 9:31 pm, edited 2/5/10 10:15 pm - Morris, IL
Am I the only one having this problem?

One ongoing issue I've had since having this surgery is chronic constipation.

I have followed by dietitian's advice the best that I can, but I can not get enough roughage in to keep things flowing smoothly consistently. My dietitian doesn't recommend supplementing post WLS diet with protein powder. She wants me to try and eat as "naturally" as possible and get my protein through eating regular food.

When I do that, it is almost impossible for me to get the recommended amount of protein in per day and eat all the veggies she wants me too. I was so sick from constipation last week, I had to miss my college class last Wednesday. I almost went to the emergency room, I felt so sick. I thought I might have ruptured something. Fortunately, everything eventually worked its way out and I immediately dropped 5 lbs. in 2 days!

I've decided to start using soy protein isolate at least once a day so I can have more room for vegetables. I have not used any protein powder yet. Can anyone recommend some brand that I can just add to my oatmeal, milk, coffee, etc?

How do you avoid getting constipated?

I do drink plenty of water, probably between 60 to 80 oz. per day.

If life knocks you down 7 times, get up 8!Laura_Illinois

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/10 9:46 am - Glenside, PA
I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, but have you tried benefiber or some other fiber supplement?  I have heard a lot of people use them. 
PoohkinandPiglet
on 2/7/10 12:29 pm - TX
I add Miralax to my drinks.  The All Bran drink mixes work well too.  The pink lemonade flavor is my favorite.

Laura_Illinois
on 2/7/10 8:03 pm - Morris, IL
Thanks, I'll pick some up from the store next time I go out. I need some kind of help. I expected this to be a more common problem, but it looks like it's not from the response i got here.

PoohkinandPiglet
on 2/7/10 9:28 pm - TX
It's definitely a problem for me but supplements help.  My morning coffee seems to help as well. 

Laura_Illinois
on 2/7/10 10:43 pm, edited 2/7/10 10:44 pm - Morris, IL
I hear you! I've started making sure I start off each morning with either a cup of coffee or a good English tea (strong). I am happy to report, the coffee worked this morning! Alleluia!!!

I never thought I'd be so happy to be "regular". But Oh, the joy! It makes my day so much better. ha, ha!

georgiapeachinla
on 2/8/10 5:42 am
Hi Laura..
Sorry you don't feel well..  If I drink my protein shake a day, which has a percent of fiber.. I don't have an issue.. but I use benifiber & a stool softener if I get REAL blocked..LOL.. I hope you feel better.
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."   
Lisa 

Laura_Illinois
on 2/8/10 7:24 am - Morris, IL
Thank you. I am feeling better today. Last week was the worst, I'm changing up my diet too. I've started having oatmeal in the morning and 1/3 of a banana, I am going to invest in some benifiber too!
I quit eating oatmeal, when they said I need to eat protein first.

What kind of protein powder do you put in your milk in the morning? What type of protein and fiber mix are you using?

Thanks Pal,

georgiapeachinla
on 2/8/10 9:05 am
I got if off of www.bariactriceating.com. I get the Nectar protein.. I bought one large jug for under 32.00.. it lasts about 3 to 4 months they have strawberry, peach, raspberry flavor, you can mix with SOY... tastes real good with vanilla SOY milk, or water still tastes good.. it's very affordable on this web page.. one scoop has over 21grams of protein.. mix it with 4ozs of soy milk gives you 40 grams of protein..they have one I have also tried that tastes like a hot coco, or a starbucks drink..

Take it easy friend...
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."   
Lisa 

Laura_Illinois
on 2/8/10 12:18 pm - Morris, IL
Thanks a lot. I will order some. That sounds like a great way to start of the day with 40 grams of protein. I've never had soy milk, I'll give it a try.  I appreciate your help.

Have a nice evening and I'll see you on the boards. Good night!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!