Sugar

Kari M.
on 1/21/10 10:54 pm
Does anyone eat sugar yet? I've cut 100% of it out of my diet (well, white/brown sugar, that is...still have natural sugars and lactose). I thought about getting the lemon calcium things, but one of the ingredients is sugar! I'm torn. My doc says they are fine, but I REALLY don't want to let ANY sugar back into my diet. If the word "sugar" or "corn syrup" is an ingredient, I don't buy it.

Is this wrong??? I'm a little confused!

sexyshoediva
on 1/22/10 1:24 am - OH
I've had some.  I tried a little of this and a little of that to see if I'd get sick.  Some stuff made me dump but I can eat a few m&m cookies with no problem.   I am a sugar addict, and I don't mean I like sugar a lot, I really am addicted to it.  But I convinced myself I could have a little now.  Now I crave sweets all the time.  So if you have a problem with sugar and you can manage to keep avoiding it, stay away from it.(imho)
smooches!

jan 25, 2009 363

lightest weight 225

Kari M.
on 1/22/10 3:11 am
Every now and then I CRAVE sweet things, too. I've found that Jell-o makes a wonderful Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Mousse (I was a dark chocolate-oholic). It helps so much! And, it's so rich, I can only eat a couple of babyspoon fulls, but it really helps.  I'm so afraid of sugar...and, what if I'm NOT affected by it? I don't know if I want to know.

georgiapeachinla
on 1/22/10 2:29 am, edited 1/22/10 8:35 am
Hey girlie..
Each doc & nutritionist gives different advice... I was told by doc office & Gastric firm.. that I should not go over the limit  of refine sugars(sugar, corn syrup ect.) of greater than <5grams.. depending on each individual persons tolerance.. though.. my girlfriend had gastric surgery 3 months after me.. and can eat any sugar without a dumping syndrome effect.. SHE MAKES ME SICK... LOL.. but my preference is no refine brown&white sugar.. so I use the  imitation sugar (splenda).. this is all my body can handle... I can't even use sweet & low... CRAZY.. But you still have to be careful with splenda don't make my mistake and get the baking version!! it's half sugar & half splenda... I was sooo sick!!  If you chooose to use splenda i would watch out for that.. oooh yeah Aspevia is bad... it is still has a refine source of sugar...

I would check with my Doc & nutritionist advice!!

Continue Success!!
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."   
Lisa 

Kari M.
on 1/22/10 3:12 am
Thank you!!! I'm glad I'm not alone!

IRAYD8U
on 1/22/10 4:59 am - MONTICELLO, MN
Why ruin a good thing!  If you've had the will power to keep it out of your diet for 6 mo......Sweetie KEEP IT OUT!  I only wish I had your will power!  Once you cross that bridge there is no going back!  I'm sooooooo proud of you!

Heather

HEATHER
               Join us on the Lightweights Board
 Ask me about our Facebook Chat Group: OH WLS-Lightweights
  36 years old
5'7"   HW 256 / SW 240 / CW 145 / GW 140
Kari M.
on 1/22/10 5:04 am
Thank you! I think the reason I've kept it out, is that I'm SOO scared of it. But, you're right - I won't mess up a good thing.

I've even tried to think of ways around it for when/if I get married in the near future. What kind of wedding cake could someone make without sugar???

Guess I could have SF chocolate dipped Strawberries.

luanne711
on 1/22/10 6:43 am - Bradford, PA
My rule of thumb is that if the "serving size" is 14 (max 15) grams or less, then it's ok to have that serving size and for fat (max 5 grams) unless the protein content is alot higher, such as red meats where the fat content is a bit higher but the higher protein helps to balance out the numbers.

Also, watch "sugar alcohols".  They can throw you for a loop if you're not careful.   I think you're better off just "treating yourself" every now and then with the maximum amount of grams that your Dr. recommends.

That's my two cents.  :-)
Luanne

I started WL journey on Jan 14, 2009 starting weight @ 342 

Surgery date was July 22, 2009 and started @ 310 and and my goal weight
is 150.00.                   
PoohkinandPiglet
on 1/23/10 12:52 am - TX
I rarely do sugar.  I try to keep to 5 grams or less per serving.  I do, however, eat Luna or Kashi bars on occasion and they have a bit more.  They are protein packed and reasonably heathy though.

AshleyDillo
on 1/27/10 9:16 am - Tallahassee, FL

I avoid sugar whenever possible.

I will it eat if it is in one of the foods that follows my protein/calorie ratio (1gram/10cals).  Usually the sugar content is really low to maintain that ratio.  And rarely is it even listed in the top 5 ingredients.

I don't even eat more than a few bites of fruit by itself at a time.  I avoid corn, peas and carrots, which are the higher sugar veggies even.

It's working for me and I don't miss it all that much.  Usually I can taste if something has sugar in it--I went to a Chinese restaurant and ordered the hot & sour soup and it was sweet to me.  I asked if they used sugar in their recipe and they said yes, so I traded it for eggdrop soup!

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views