Meat is no longer my friend

luanne711
on 1/13/10 12:59 am - Bradford, PA
I'm a little bummed, but maybe should be thankful. 

I have a tough time digesting most meats.  Seafood, no problem at all, but pork and steak (unless it's super moist) is so hard to digest.  And I really have to make sure the excess fat is removed too.  Just not fun eating meat like I used to.  Oh well.

I've been finding lately that I'm feeling fuller faster when I try to eat more normal foods.  Mind you, sometimes I wait so long and tend to eat faster than I know I'm supposed to and then I pay for it dearly.  Oh well, I'm still slowly losing, so I guess it's all good.

I'm also finding that I'm going to become a crystal light person again because that's about the only way I can drink my water like I"m supposed to.  I've been slacking in that department, but too dang cold to drink cold water and I can tell by my skin being so much more dry.  :(

Luanne

I started WL journey on Jan 14, 2009 starting weight @ 342 

Surgery date was July 22, 2009 and started @ 310 and and my goal weight
is 150.00.                   
georgiapeachinla
on 1/13/10 11:00 pm
I feel ya Luanne..

I can eat a little flank steak rare.. but takes a little over a week and a half to digest out of system.. Seafood is my friend.. chicken is too as long as it isn't fried... I totally get so sick too the point of throwing up!  I can eat ground pork like in chili but it has to be cooked moist..
But a good thing... we should have a lower cholesterol level..
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."   
Lisa 

luanne711
on 1/14/10 8:59 am - Bradford, PA
oh yeah - the fried chicken - I got chicken tenders and ate one bite of it and about died!!  It really made me feel horrible  :(  nasty!!  Never thought I would say that......

mmmmm - now chili, I can work with that.  I went to my brothers the other night for spaghetti dinner, I do ok w/ground up hamburg (venison in this case) and my SIL makes the best sauce, lots of meat in it, well she put's italian sausage in it.......OMG, I thought I was gonna die from that.  Took me an hour before I felt ok again.  Apparently too much fat, but I hadn't even thought about that when I was eating the sauce.  Amazing how much attention we have to pay to things in order to avoid our body rejecting it.

for sure about the cholesterol level, I definitely need help w/that.....so I guess I need to look at the bright side.

Luanne

is 150.00.                   
Leanne31
on 1/17/10 7:44 am - Louisville, KY
I have the exact same issue.  Steak, roasted turkey, chicken, pork roast -- it all makes me very sick.  I say that I'm the "unintentional vegetarian" because I never meant to give up meat, but I almost have.  Like you, I do okay with hamburger in chili.

I eat a lot of Greek yogurt and protein bars.
luanne711
on 1/17/10 10:26 am - Bradford, PA
I hear ya Leanne.  I know I didn't sign up to be a vegetarian either, but the pain is just not worth it to me sometimes.  I've also discovered that it's difficult to eat chili, then more protein.  It just amazes me how little I can now eat, compared to pre-surgery.  I get that feeling of being way too full before I'm anywhere near having a taste of everything.  I think I understand where I'm failing there, it's that 30 minute drinking rule which I have been slacking on.   I'm going to make a new post on that topic though.  
Luanne

is 150.00.                   
Kari M.
on 1/21/10 11:04 pm
Have you tried slow cooking your meat? I made a pork loin the other day, put no sugar added apple juice, some fresh apple slices, cinnamon sticks, salt & pepper, and cooked it ALL DAY. It did have a little fat on it, but after about 6 hours of cooking, I didn't have a hard time eating it at all.

I know some people are having problems with fruit still, but apples are my best friend. You get a little fiber (which i need these days!), and the sweetness (which I don't always enjoy). It was a wonderful meal.  I had steamed broccoli as a side, and it was fantastic!

However, I don't tolerate turkey (ground, roasted, smoked, etc) at all...and the beef roast didn't go down well (cooked all day, too), either. I think it's just our bodies adjusting.  who knows, if i made the loin next week, i may not be able to eat it!

My favorites/standards are: Cheese sticks (2% mozarella), fat free refried black beans with cheese and Pace picante (no sugar added!), Shrimp, and Lite SF Musselman's Cinnamon Apple sauce. YUM. OH! and have you tried the new Dark Chocolate SF Mousse's yet?  I believe it is a Jell-O brand, and the containers are matte dark browne. So good...and rich, I can only eat about 3 bites (baby spoon), but it REALLY fixes any sweet tooth I might have.

luanne711
on 1/22/10 3:44 am - Bradford, PA
Thanks Kari.  I do need to try and plan my meals more in advance because half the time, my kid isn't home so no sense fixing a big meal.  It's infuriating because then he doesn't eat leftovers as much as I'd like (depends on what it is and how hungry he is -lol) , so I tend to make stuff at the last minute and it's tougher that way due to being cooked fast I guess???  Guess I need to lay down the law more.  It helps when I know what is on his agenda, but bad part is he tells me at 10pm that he's hungry and then knows how to make me feel guilty.  We always manage, but kids!!  :-)

I used to have cheese sticks on hand too as a favorite quick snack, but I got tired of those.   I'm sure I'll buy some again because they were easy to work with.  My quickest high protein, easy on the pouch food is still cottage cheese, but I'm afraid I"ll start to get bored with that again soon.  And I keep eyeballin' the raw shrimp in the freezer, but am saving that for one of those rush meals and for my son.  He's definitely a lover of shrimp.

I have about 3-4 cans of almonds and have gotten bored with those too (mind you, I don't dare eat too many of those because they aren't always as "pouch friendly" as I'd like.  :(   I try to stay away from too much of those higher in carb foods, whether they're good carbs or not.  It gets too easy to get back to grazing again.  I like to grab a slice of cheese every now and then.   Haven't tried the mousse yet?  I still have a ton of SF/FF jello puddings setting in my cupboard that I need to use.  :-)     

Oh well, it's not like I don't have options, but I really like my pretzel sticks every now and then too.  it's the salt I think....
Luanne

is 150.00.                   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views