Liquor..alcohol...have you done it yet?

luanne711
on 11/14/09 12:35 pm - Bradford, PA
I know there are tons of different opinions on this topic and I just got back from a fundraiser where they had beer there and the folks I was there with did a few shots (slippery nipples) at the bar.  One of the girls who had a couple shots, also had GB surgery, a year ago this past August and to be honest, I was a little jealous because she was drinking and I felt like I couldn't or that it was too soon?

Have any of you had any alcoholic beverages since your surgery date?  What instructions has your surgeon given you as being allowed to enjoy an adult beverage?  This gal said she had her 1st drink roughly 3 months after she had her surgery. 

So I'm just curiuos..have any of you indulged yet and how did it go?
Luanne

I started WL journey on Jan 14, 2009 starting weight @ 342 

Surgery date was July 22, 2009 and started @ 310 and and my goal weight
is 150.00.                   
2_be_me_again
on 11/15/09 12:23 am

I had a shot of Vodka on halloween and it did not sit well.  I was immediatly hot and clamy so  I tried to flu**** out with water but I drank it too fast and everything came back up.

I have had a sip of beer here and there and the gass I get is just not worth it to me.

I say - go for it.... this surgery is about life-style changes not giving up stuff forever.  I would reccomend you try first at home - just in case your body isn't really ready for it yet.

Enjoy!! 
Brandi

AT GOAL in 336 days...!
SW / CW / GW
299 /174.5/ 175
6' tall - size 10

PoohkinandPiglet
on 11/15/09 5:16 am - TX
A little wine in church during communion made me feel sick.  So, No, I'm not drinking alcohol yet.   I miss my wine though.

carmelk56
on 11/15/09 7:07 am - Somerville, MA
We are not supposed to drink anything fizzy and I miss my diet soda!! I have being drinking red wine or white wine and have had no problems with it. It takes me a LONG time to drink one glass but I enjoy it when I drink it!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wwaUp2v/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wwaUp2v/blk-weight.png">>

Jennifer P.
on 11/15/09 7:06 am - Erie, PA
I had my first drink just before Christmas 2006 so I was just over 5 months out.  I had some homemade wine and the alcohol content was a little higher than normal (more like a port).  It made me immediately intoxicated and then within 20 minutes I was completely sober again.
This feeling seemed to last for about the 1st year, 1 glass, nice buzz, did o.k.  I had to drink very very slowly.
Then I seemed to build up a little tolerance and I could indulge a little more.  That last about a year.
This past year though, I seem to have developed a lot of changes.  Gravity took effect again and everything dropped own.  I gained about 10 lbs but I went from a size 4 to a size 8, no change on top.  I noticed a littler intollerance to carbs and wine as well as any sugary type alcohols like brandy or rum.  I just started to avoid those.
Recently though I am intollerant to all alcoholic beverages.  Two kind souls reminded me of that nasty hypoglycemia.  It never dawned on me that the feeling (jittery, almost buzzed 4-5 hours after a drink, dry mouth) could be low blood sugar.  Since I suffered from hypoglycemic episodes before surgery, who would have thought that 3 1/2 years later and at a healthy BMI, it could happen again.
Thanks to those of you *****sponded!
Just take it easy with the alcohol, try it at home, and don't over-indulge.  The hangover is a killer and I can't tolerate the fatty, high carb foods that used to make me feel better.
      * Jen *

latinamommy
on 11/15/09 10:20 am - Winslow, AZ
I have had drinks more than a few times.  THe first time was at home and I was perfectly fine.  I drink, get drunk then sober up then hangover all in about 30 minutes...yuck!!  I don't drink anything carbonated and I don't dump on sugar so I am able to drink margaritas with no problem.  Halloween was the most drunk I have been even before my surgery...lol.  I had a great time!  It didn't follow the drink drunk sober hangover routine but I did notice two or three sips had me spinning.  I would definately try it at home before going out and if you dump stay away from the sugar stuff.  Let us know how it is when you try it!
Dominique

luanne711
on 11/15/09 12:43 pm - Bradford, PA
I'm still kinda scared to try it and man oh man, you should see my cupboard.  I have so much booze in my cupboard, bottles that have never even been opened (pre-surgery, I liked to have a good selection, although I'm not a big entertainer, except for to my own self  :(, but I'm still kinda scared to try it.  Probably better off that way, but I will certainly let you know when I try it.  I'm thinking Thanksgiving unless I keep talking about it, then it could be sooner.  It's interesting reading everyone's experiences.
Luanne

I started WL journey on Jan 14, 2009 starting weight @ 342 

Surgery date was July 22, 2009 and started @ 310 and and my goal weight
is 150.00.                   
AshleyDillo
on 11/15/09 12:53 pm - Tallahassee, FL

I had alcohol a little more than 2 months out.  I know, I know..shame on me.  I sipped on a double shot of Jagermeister over about a 3 hour period.  I didn't feel any effects from the alcohol and because I couldn't drink it quickly it got warm and nasty.  I felt the burn as it went down a little more tha I used to.

Pre-op I drank on rare, rare occasions and it was usually Jager Bombs (jager and redbull), and since I can't do the carbonation anymore that's out.  I don't feel like I'm missing out on much by not drinking, so I don't think I'll partake again in the future.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

georgiapeachinla
on 11/15/09 11:53 pm, edited 11/15/09 11:54 pm
I'm a wine drinker  before surgery.. So I did a test run this weekend since i have a holiday party coming up the first weekend in December, i sipped on a glass with only I say with about 3/4 sip over 30 mins.. I was FEELING FINE LIKE THE YEAR 1999!! I'm glad I tried at home first.. I probably been dancing on my home girl's table's... LOL but I didn't get any bad guts sounds or any indications of DUMPING SYNDROME!!  " I'm just a really CHEAP DATE NOW!!" LOL But my Doc did say it was okay since I was over 3 mon. out, but he said in moderation(3/4 or less) alcoholic drinks have a HUGE carb intake, that's the only down-side!!

"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."   
Lisa 

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/09 12:38 am
I haven't tried alcohol yet.  I even skip the wine at Communion.  Of course, I wasn't a big drinker before the surgery either. 

In college...yes, I drank alot, but after I met my husband I pretty much stopped.  And since my husband doesn't drink, we don't have alcohol in the house.  I take that back...we do have some cooking wine, lol.  But I was never a wine drinker.

My family drinks Bailey's at Christmas time, so I might try some of that, but I won't miss it if I don't.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1103 views