Milk - lots of sugar and carbs - I HAD NO IDEA!!

luanne711
on 10/31/09 4:25 am - Bradford, PA

I'm starting to rethink my skim milk intake and switching to water for my protein shakes. I was shocked the other day on another thread, where they were talking about the amounts of sugars and carbs in milk. I guess because it is a source of protein and because my doctor and NUT recommended it on the daily eating plan, I never thought twice about or realized how much crap I was getting. Dang, I'll bet if I stop the milk or cut back considerably that I'll start to lose again. I can't believe I wasn't paying attention and just trusted because I tend to mix all of my protein drinks w/milk. Oh well, I need to stop assuming that everything which was recommended for post-op is something we can just eat when we want. Same thing with mashed potatoes and grits, but fortunately, I know enough to eat those things in moderation (ie: very little if at all). UGH..we can be so trusting. I wish they would have said, "milk is OK, but don't get carried away and try to learn to drink your protein shakes w/water due to the sugar and carb intake". No wonder my shakes always tasted so good. :( Another of life's little pleasures with a wrench thrown into it.

I need to pay more attention!! 

Luanne

I started WL journey on Jan 14, 2009 starting weight @ 342 

Surgery date was July 22, 2009 and started @ 310 and and my goal weight
is 150.00.                   
PoohkinandPiglet
on 10/31/09 11:51 am, edited 10/31/09 9:03 pm - TX
I drink one or two cups of high protein skim milk each day.  As long as I'm not drinking all my daily calories, milk in moderation is healthy.  

I also use the Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage quite a bit for my protein shakes, iced lattes and protein ice cream.  It has very low sugar and is thicker than regular milk (also comes in chocolate).

At this point, the doctor wants me to get the majority of my protein from food sources and not protein shakes anyway so I try to limit myself to one shake per day.   It's hard as some days I don't want to think about food.

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/09 2:50 pm - Glenside, PA
I use soy milk for my shakes.  It has 120 calories for 8 oz.  Just saw in the supermarket yesterday that there is  a "light" version that has 80 or 90 calories. 

I think I have a problem with cow's milk (last time I had it I had MAJOR bowel problem) but that doesn't bother me as I can't stand milk in general.   

Anyway. it's not just the fat and sugar in the milk that count.  There are good things in there too;  Vitamin A and D!
KristeMitchell
on 11/1/09 1:18 am
Millk is fine to have daily.  The sugar in milk is from lactose.  This is a natural sugar and shouldn't affect you.  I drink 1 cup of lowfat milk in the am in my coffee because it has 12 grams of protein and that is almost as much as the protein shake I buy.  Listen to your doctor! Don't trust everything you read on these boards.  People on here are not experts but your NUT is and frankly there is alot of bad info out there.  As long as milk doesn't affect you negatively drink up! Try water in your shakes or go half and half but don't do it because of the sugar and carbs.  You will probably find the stall is unrelated.  It just happens.   Good luck!

luanne711
on 11/1/09 2:09 am - Bradford, PA
well that makes me feel better.  I've always known that milk was good for you and the soy is "OK" but I much prefer regular skim milk.  I guess everything in moderation and you're right Kriste, there are alot of people with a whole lot of different opinions on this board. I was starting to think that maybe they only wanted me to drink the milk during the liquid stage, but that's probably not true because it is a good source of protein.   Yeah!!  The milk makes my protein shakes taste sooooooo much better........hallelujah  :-)
Luanne

I started WL journey on Jan 14, 2009 starting weight @ 342 

Surgery date was July 22, 2009 and started @ 310 and and my goal weight
is 150.00.                   
Gena L.
on 11/3/09 7:11 am - Canal Winchester, OH
YEAH FOR KEEPING  MILK....it has actually been my saving grace with those  darn protein shakes!  (hate 'em!)....but I tolerate with them with milk...I use the 2% and mix with a small bit of water and lots of  ICE!   Trying to get to slim...I'll make  there real soon!

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/09 12:56 am
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/09 12:58 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views