protein ideas...

jdr1208
on 10/7/09 1:30 am - Worcester, MA
so we have been running short on money and as far as things i can eat we have chicken and fish in the freezer that we cook at night with some veggies and ive worn myself out on tuna, and we just havent had the money to buy cheese so thats on hold for a couple of weeks, so we've been living the bare minimum and the other night i asked the husband to go pick up some eggs. i would hardboil a bunch of them and take one every day to work. eggs have always been my go to when we are broke and i need my protein fill. i have a giant 5lb bag of vanilla whey protein but not only am i sick of it, it needs to be blended and since i leave early in the morning using the blender at 5am and waking up my toddler isnt ideal... so last night i pulled more than half the carton of eggs out of the fridge and put them aside and got my water boiling, well my son saw them and was like "mommy, eggy? supper? please???" (he's 22 months) so i was like "ok sure" so i grabbed an egg from my pile and scrambled it up for him. well apparently im the best egg cook in the world cuz he ate it all in like 3 seconds and asked for another one... so i cracked open another one and there was blood in this one. gross, but ive seen it before so i just threw it out and went to open another one. this time, in this one, instead of having a yolk it had a bloody chicken fetus. well that threw me over the edge but i figured id try one more... even bloodier more formed baby chicken fetus (the eyeball was fully formed) well i dropped the egg in the pan and started screaming. had a nice mini nervous breakdown. thats always been my biggest fear, cracking open an egg and having a dead chicken in it. so my son got fish sticks instead and i still havent eaten. i cant stomach the thought of eating right now. i boiled myself up some protein pasta this morning in hopes that by lunch time i could eat and thats bland enough, but im having a serious issue with the fact that i dont know what was in the rest of the eggs, but i almost hardboiled them all and took them to work... if i bit into that... oh my god i cant even think of it. so now not only so i have no desire to eat... im a little afraid of eggs... any ideas???
thanks
jill
IRAYD8U
on 10/7/09 3:54 am - MONTICELLO, MN
OMG!  I feel so bad for you!  I'm now afraid to eat eggs too!  So my suggestion to you is to mix up your shake at night and put it in an air tight container for in the AM!  No waking baby boy that way!  Try tossing some fruit in with the shake when you blend it to change the flavor.  I buy walmart frozen mixed berries and use half a hand full in my shakes as well as splenda to sweetin it up a bit!

Heather

HEATHER
               Join us on the Lightweights Board
 Ask me about our Facebook Chat Group: OH WLS-Lightweights
  36 years old
5'7"   HW 256 / SW 240 / CW 145 / GW 140
PoohkinandPiglet
on 10/7/09 4:55 am - TX
I use Egg Beaters instead of regular eggs.  No worries about what's inside.  Protein pancakes have been wonderful for breakfast too.

mystimel
on 10/8/09 9:34 am - Long Beach, CA
Yes I love eggbeaters, they're healthier than regular eggs too. I also find they sit easier in my pouch.
SW:230 CW:159 GW:135

RazzyRobyn
on 10/7/09 9:33 pm - West Boylston, MA
I would suggest egg beaters... so you don't have to go through that egg nightmare again! So gross! ugh!

I have found I like baked spaghetti squash with a little shaker cheese like parmesean on it. It's yummy.  :)   I take that for lunch this week, to change things up. 

It was stated earlier, make your shake at night, or do you have a little kitchen at work where you could make the shake there when you get to work?  I don't eat breakfast at home, I make and drink my shake at work.

Hope this helps. It's hard to get creative with protein, especially on a tight budget.  I do find that Sargentto reduced fat provolone and a couple slices of turkey with a little light mircle whip makes a tasty lunch and good protien too.

Hope you're doing well.  :)
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

jdr1208
on 10/8/09 3:07 am - Worcester, MA
thanks for all the advice! egg beaters it is (and for future reference, never buy eggs from honey farms!)

robyn- look at you go lady! wouldnt even recognize you!
KristeMitchell
on 10/8/09 1:29 pm
Guuuurrlll that's nasty! Funny, but nasty! I suggest eggbeaters too. 

LisaAnn1969
on 10/8/09 11:58 pm - Lonsdale, MN
I have issues with store bought eggs for that reason...you have no clue how long they have been sitting on the shelf..sorry guys!!

I have chicken and have fresh eggs...I know there will be no fetus chicks in my eggs..I don't have any roosters right now..LOL

I would freak out completely if that happened to me Jill...I am so sorry that happened!!!!!

Heck if you lived closer I would supply you with yummy eggs!
Lisa
RNY 7-6-09

Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired. Robert Frost

"Living hell is the best revenge."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views