Easier or Harder?

JulieTX
on 9/24/09 7:23 am - Whitehouse, TX
I was just thinking....has it been easier or harder than you thought?

Pre op was harder to drop the weight than I thought...post op has been way easier!
Julie

lori_lora
on 9/24/09 9:42 am - CA
Hi Julie,
For me the Pre op was much, much easier. I only had to loose 10 lbs and did that in one week. I guess because I had so many complications with surgery (4 blood transfusions and hemorrhaging) that the 10 lbs seemed like nothing!! I also had problems with food not staying down due to the opening to my stomach becoming too small). But now I'm on track and looking forward to my post op getting easier!!!
Take Care,
Laurie
Joanna S.
on 9/27/09 2:35 am - Lonaconing, MD
AshleyDillo
on 9/24/09 9:06 pm - Tallahassee, FL

Much much easier than I expected.  I'm having little problems staying away from the "bad" foods and I'm having no food intolerances whatsoever.  I'm not losing as quickly as I'd hoped, but I'm still losing at a great rate.

It was actually easier for me to drop the weight pre-op than I had expected.  I was able to actually stick to a sensible eating plan because I finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel.  I didn't have the usual dieting sense of mind that I was going to fail at my pre-op diet and not lose any weight.  I ate things that weren't the best choices in moderation so I didn't feel deprived.  Every pound I lost I knew was a pound I would never have to see again.  It was just so much easier for me to make the right decisions knowing that I was going to have a tool to fall back on after surgery.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

georgiapeachinla
on 9/24/09 11:17 pm
For me it was easy after harder before ... I only lost about 20lbs before surgery because of the medication I was taking made it hard to loss weight... but now that I no longer have to take the medicine.. the weight easily comes off ... then before..
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."   
Lisa 

PoohkinandPiglet
on 9/24/09 11:18 pm - TX
Harder during pre-op liquids and  easier after surgery.  

Although, I'm completely surprised at how much effort it takes to get all my food and water in some days.  It's amazing not being hungry at all! 

KristeMitchell
on 9/25/09 2:35 am
Pre op wasn't hard for me because I lost very slowly over my 6 month classes.  I lost about 30 lbs over that time.  I wasn't trying very hard. I didn't have to do the liquid craziness that alot of you guys had to do so I am thankful for that. 

Post op hasn't been bad at all.  Food wise, I am pretty satisfied with what I can eat and if there is something I want that is not so great I have 1 small bite.  For example yesterday at work a drug rep brought Claim Jumpers! I ate a small chicken salad and I had one fingernail size bite of a chocolate chip and toffee cookie.  It was delicious.  I'll also have like 3 m&ms and I don't beat myself up over it anymore because if I allow myself to have a taste I don't get all crazy wanting it and trying to resist.  As long as I am getting my protein and water in and keeping my carbs relatively low (I shoot for a 2:1 ratio. 1 gram of carbs for every 2 grams of protein) then I allow myself a small bite of a treat.  The key for me is moderation and setting some general rules for myself.  Some days are harder than others.  I think the emotional aspect has been the hardest for me and having unrealistic expectaions of myself.  I thought I would be losing like 30 lbs a month and that is not happening.  I'm working on it and I'll get there, it's just taking time.   

Joanna S.
on 9/27/09 2:37 am - Lonaconing, MD
I lost 23 lbs pre op in less than two months - so I'd say that was pretty easy.  I didn't have a liquid diet to follow, just a low carb, low fat one.  Post op, I'd say it's been harder than I thought it would be.  Physically, the surgery was a breeze, much much easier than I thought it would be.  Its the psychological aspects I suppose that's been hard.  I started to feel hunger again at about 8 weeks.  I still struggle two weeks of the month just to maintain my weight just as I've struggled all my life.  I'm sort of shocked that I could eat less that 800 calories and gain a pound overnight.  The good thing is that the other two weeks of the month I've been able to lose - sometimes not so much - but every pound is one pound lost. 
Joanna

High354/consult321/pre-op297.6/post-op310.6/current209.2/goal147

You'll never leave where you are until you decide where you'd rather be.

Emilie J.
on 9/27/09 11:53 pm
It is just now getting to where I feel normal again, most of the time. I think the recovery has been harder than I thought. I have been so fatigued, and it took a long time to feel emotionally good. It is still hard sometimes. I still am an emotional eater, and I still have cravings for stuff that isn't good for me.

Emilie
Emilie, mom, wife, Nurse........superhero
It's about the Wow's!   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update