SUGAR ALCOHOL...WHAT THE HECK??? GOOD OR BAD?

Gena L.
on 9/17/09 1:01 pm - Canal Winchester, OH
I have been having sweet cravings like crazy.  I have been hesitant though to try the sugar free  sweets because many of them still have 10grams or more of sugar listed on the label.  How is that possible I wonder...isn't sugar free supposed to be SUGAR FREE?

Also, have you seen "sugar alcohol".  What the heck...is that ok for our pouches or not.  I really wanted to try protein bars but the ones I found that have (what I think is) low sugar, have this high content of  'sugar alcohol'....Is that like where u don't get the sugar, but u get drunk outta your mind  or something.  JK...just wish I knew more about whether it's good or bad. So I thought...I'll post a new thread about it and get to the bottom of  the sugar alcohol scandal !!!  :)

Any thoughts?

JulieTX
on 9/18/09 2:40 am - Whitehouse, TX
Be careful with sugar alcohols.  They very often have a laxitive effect.  I have not had much post op.  I am trying to stay away from any refined sweet since I fear the carb monster inside will awaken.  I do some SF jello with some SF cool whip, but have avoided chocolate.  The oreos do sound awesome!!!

I personally stay away from anything with more than 5 or so grams of sugar.  Milk is high in natural sugar, so that could be the culprit.  I have not had much yogurt post op because of the sugar grams listed on the label.

Keep us posted and let us know how it works for you.
Julie

Shida77
on 9/18/09 2:50 am
Sugar alcohol is used to make things sweet and have very low calories.  I've heard that sugar alcohol can make some us of RNYers dump.  I'd watch it.  BUT, if you're just having a bite or so of something it shouldn't make that big of a difference.  Like I always say, I eat whatever (within reason) and it usually works out.  I haven't had anything sugary yet and I'm so scared to.  I found some candy at the Whole Foods Market that is naturally sweetend.  I give it to my kids and it tasted DELICIOUS when I bit it....Also, the Kashi GoLean Crunch is sweet and goes down very well.  I love that!

IRAYD8U
on 9/18/09 11:26 am - MONTICELLO, MN
Sugar alcohols can make you gassy!  Like me right now from the gum I was chewing today.......but I had rank breathe.........so you take the good with the bad I guess.......LOL

Heather

HEATHER
               Join us on the Lightweights Board
 Ask me about our Facebook Chat Group: OH WLS-Lightweights
  36 years old
5'7"   HW 256 / SW 240 / CW 145 / GW 140
amy1515
on 9/18/09 1:04 pm

Try greek yogart with sf syurp or sf preserves in it.  I actually cut up watermelon or peaches and add a splenda to the mix. It cures my head hunger for sweets and has 15 grams of protein in a 5oz container.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1103 views