why am i stuck?!

jdr1208
on 9/18/09 3:46 am - Worcester, MA

hey guys, i am 8 weeks out and have dropped 38 lbs so far. (seeing as how i gained 8lbs before surgery from a binge i went on, thats all purely post op weight loss) as soon as i started on solids again my weight loss went slow to none back to slow again. ive been checking my inches and ive dropped about 20 inches all together. but what worries me, is i have my pre op appetite back. i stop myself before eating too much and i measure everything out. but thye rare times during the day that i am hungry i feel like i could eat a cow! but odd thing is, in the morning and at night im not hungry, if i force myself to eat, its just like that, forcing myself, and usually it makes me nauseated that i cant keep it down (almost like that feeling of eating when you're too full, even though i hadnt eaten in hours) im trying my hardest to get in my 48g of protein and 48oz of water. i am exercising. i have brought some carbs back into my diet but not a lot. stuff like the brown rice or dream fields pasta or josephs pita, and if i eat a carb its usually only once a day. part of me feels like im eating too much because i feel like in one serving i could eat more than i should be able to, but other people say im not eating enough because i dont eat consistently throughout the day... any help or anyone go through this?

thanks

jill

saletiajohnson
on 9/18/09 4:22 am - anchorage, AK
I am the exact same way! I havn't even lost any weight in a week. Depressing. Things will get better for us.
Gena L.
on 9/18/09 7:51 am - Canal Winchester, OH
I am  the same way too...I am just about 8 weeks out...in the last 4 weeks i've only lost 6lbs TOTAL!!!  ...and I've been following ALL the rules!!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/18/09 9:02 am - Glenside, PA
I don't feel like I have my appetite back, however, I am fresh off being sick and just relieved to feel better!

I am not hungry at all in the morning, however I am ready to eat the rest of the day.

I noticed you said you try to get in 48 g of protein and 48 ounces of liquids.   For my part those totals are too low.  My nut recommends 60g to 75g of protein and 64 oz of liquid a day. 

How many calories are you getting a day?  If you eat too few your body thinks you are starving.

Having said all that, if you are continuing to lose, then try to count the positives!  Slow and steady wins the race and having the scale go down is better than watching it go up!
collinsne
on 9/18/09 9:26 am - Barre, VT
Hi Jill,

Since my surgery, I have averaged about 2 lbs a week.  While the scale is moving slowly, it is still going in the right direction.  Us tortoises will win the race - maybe with our hair and less saggy skin.  I was discouraged at the 2 lb a week loss when I heard others saying they have lost 30+ lbs after the first month.  But at 2 lbs a week - that is over 100 lbs in a year.  That would put me below my goal weight. 

I agree with upping your protein and fluids.  Eat your protein first, then veggies, then carbs.  I haven't had any pasta yet, and have only had about 2 tablespoons of rice.  Usually it is the protein and a couple tablespoons of veggy.

JulieTX
on 9/18/09 10:40 am - Whitehouse, TX
Stalls!!!  I am a slow loser as well.

Keep a food journal.  I found that when my calories drop, I stop losing weight.  And make sure you are getting out and moving.  Even taking walks will help keep the weight coming off.  That has been my biggest issue - lack of exercise!

Hang on to every victory and when the scales are stuck for a few day, just remember where we have come from!!!
Julie

amy1515
on 9/18/09 12:55 pm
I know how you feel about eating too much. I don't have my appetite back, but when i do eat, i don't feel FULL like i think i should and i'm afraid i might eat too much at one time. I'm trying to graze more than eat full meals to keep my calories up. Calories are fuel and our bodies need fuel to burn to loose weight.(learned that from my friends here)  Try eating more frequently with smaller amounts.  That might help curb your hunger during the day.  I have been mantaining about 900 cals a day this way and feeling better about the actual amounts of food i eat at one time.  I think 38 lbs is great !  Keep your head held high! You're doing great!  It's a learning process for all of us.
Sabrenia8888
on 9/19/09 3:59 pm - Orlando, FL
I will be 8 weeks out next week and I am down 32lbs so it seems like we both are losing weight at a slow pace. Meats feel so heavy on my pouch and its like I can only take a couple of bites. I have been really focusing on my fluids and vitamins at the moment. I am not able to concentrate on calories. Once I get my fluids on where they need to be at all times them I will work on my calories. I feel stuffed all the time and MOST of the time I have to force myself to eat. I hope over time this gets better and I can eat 3 meals a day like normal people. Right now I am eating about 6 little tiny meals a day. They may be called 6 little snacks a day since they are so small. Just hang in there and take one day at a time. I too have been discouraged and choose to lurk when that happens but I need to reach out to my OH July buddies whenever I need some encouragement. It is true that this is a learning process for all of us and no matter how much I read or how much people told me, I do not think you could have ever been prepared for this much of a lfestyle change post surgery.
Ms. Exquisite
"Obstacles are what we see when we take our eyes off the goal"  
PoohkinandPiglet
on 9/20/09 9:49 am - TX
I'm losing 2-3 pounds on a good week.  I seem to be stalled a bit right now so I'm focusing on protein and water.   I'be added an extra protein shake or glass of high protein milk before bedtime.

How many calories a day are you getting in?  Maybe your calories are too low.

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/09 11:46 am - Glenside, PA
Pooh - You and I had our surgeries within a day of each other.  I'm kinda stuck right now, too!  I'm hoovering on the edge of dropping into the 100's.  Exciting, no?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1103 views