Tell me what you eat...I need ideas

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/09 3:07 am
I haven't been very adventurous with eating since the surgery.  I think I'm afraid to eat the wrong things and get back into bad habits and eventually lead to weight regain.

This is my most often meal...
refried beans, ground turkey with taco seasoning, and grated cheddar cheese.

I have done Barilla or Dreamfields pasta with no sugar added Ragu and ground turkey.

Also, Morningstar Black Bean burgers are not bad.

Vegetables I've eaten...squash, broccoli and asparagus.   I haven't had any fruit yet.

So I beg you, give me some great meal ideas!
AMYH-M
on 9/12/09 4:54 am - League City, TX
I'm just like you.  I'm almost afraid of food now.  I tend to eat the same things every day.  My favorite is boiled shrimp.  I experiment with making different kinds of sauces for it.  For fruit, I will sometimes put frozen berries in the blender with my protien powder and soy milk.  I can't eat very much fruit, and I have to eat protien with it.  I do alot of egg beater omletts with ham, cheese, veggies.  I make shrimp dip and spinich dip with Greek yogurt and eat them with Ka**** grain crackers.
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/09 1:12 pm - Glenside, PA
Please tell about the shrimp and spinach dips!  They sound like something I would really like.
JulieTX
on 9/12/09 11:40 pm - Whitehouse, TX
My family is a pretty boring group in general, so I might not be much help.

We grilled pork loin las night and I ate that.  We grill out chicken a lot with differing rubs and sauses.  I don't each many veggies.  Fish is a big part of what I eat as well.  Salmon!  Yum.

I haven't done any pasta yet..I did ground beef with sause and cheese.  I should have done turkey instead since hamberger is still hard to completely chew!

Post on the general board.  They have lots of good ideas..I just don't cook all the much.  LOL
Julie

PoohkinandPiglet
on 9/13/09 8:27 am - TX
Alanna,  I love your new picture! 

Typically, I have a Believe Mocha Latte to start my day.  Then, I have a small (1/4 cup egg beater) omelette with onions, mushrooms and spinach mid morning.  

Lunch is the hardest as I'm not usually hungry and have to make myself have a little something.  Mostly, I eat a turkey burger patty, grilled chicken, chicken or tuna salad or a few boiled shrimp.   Deli meat doesn't go down well so I stay away from it.  I'm also a huge fan of Eggface's tortilla pizzas and I make those often.  I eat 1/2 of a Mission carb balance tortilla with toppings.

I've been eating cocoa dusted almonds for an afternoon snack lately.  I keep the can in my car and munch on a few while I'm waiting in car line to pick up my kids or while I'm shuttling them around to after school activities.

Dinner is usually grilled fish, chicken or meat with one or two fresh grilled or steamed veggies (broccoli, green beans, asparagus, mushrooms, onions, etc).  

At night I have protein ice cream or pudding if I didn't get all my protein/calories in for the day.

mymar816
on 9/13/09 10:04 am
Hey Huggs. I am not a big fish eater so I don't even go there. However a daily meal plan for me is:
Breakfast 1/2 cup yogurt w/ up to 1/4 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch (so addictive)
Lunch- 1 wasa cracker with a smear of red pepper hummus and 4-6 crab bites (yeah the fake stuff) Dinner- 7 boiled shrimp with ****tail sauce ( not alot b/c it has alot of sugar) with 1/4 cup grean beans (cooked to death)
This usually keeps me going all day. between meals I have a nectar protien shake..
other faves are hard boiled eggs, 4 or 5 frozen peeled grapes, and silly me still likes to drink the warm chicken broth ( I know I'm a glutton for punishment)

Tuesday33
on 9/13/09 10:37 am
Don't be afraid to try new foods. I have only had two bad exeriences... steak and stuffed fish.

Here are some ideas that really hit the spot!

Quickie meal: Morning star chicken patty with a tomato and shredded cheese

Salads: Any kinds add some cheese and pine nuts

Try things! I am losing well- I stay away from carbs but I do try to be adventurous. Good luck!
georgiapeachinla
on 9/14/09 12:18 am, edited 9/14/09 12:19 am
I'm kinda like everyone else I LUV FISH big salmon, tilpia, FAN... I also est a lot of ground turkey, pork, cant do GROUND BEEF MAKES ME ILL... BUT a lot of healthy recipes I have gotten off the WEB are from FOOD NETWORK... My favorite dish is steamed seared  shrimps with rice vinegar and TRADER JO-ES NO SUGAR ADDED ORANGE SAUCE YUUUM.. you might also try on YOU TUBE (POUCH FRIENDLY)... this lady had GASTRIC Bypass... and does all sort of recipes that we use to eat but prepares them different.... TRY the SOUTHWEST STEW RECIPE OFF THE WEBSITE..
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."   
Lisa 

robin2p
on 9/14/09 1:41 am, edited 9/15/09 2:08 am

Hello All,
I don't' know it this will be helpful or makes things more difficult, but I had Lap Band surgery on July 10Th, and have lost over 32 lbs and 14" so far.
My biggest change, I went Gluten Free. Gluten is a protein found in wheat products and is difficult for the body to digest. If you want more information look up Celiac Disease and/or gluten free foods.
Here is a link that sums it up well: http://www.gluten.net/downloads/print/glutenintoleranceflat. pdf
You do not have to eliminate it, but I have found by eating Gluten Free carbs (bread, crackers. cereal, etc.) I am getting a little extra protein, and have not had any stomach problems.
You can usually look up your local grocery store and they post a list of gluten free foods they carry. Whole Foods and Trader Joese are both good sources, but many items are available by mail order.
When ever I eat  vegetables I take Beano (it's not just for beans) and I take a multi enzyme when eating fruits. They say you should start with canned fruit, but I have found pineapple to be very easy to digest is you chew it well.
I also limit my dairy to cultured products (yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, etc) and if I indulge in ice cream I buy Rice based Ice Cream (Rice Dream is good).
I hope this helps a few folks.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!