no appetite

amy1515
on 9/9/09 11:33 am

Does anyone else not have any desire to eat?  I have been back to my dr for follow-up visits 2 times and they keep telling me to eat more.  I can barely make 800 cals.  My protein is good (about 80 g) but, I have no desire to eat.  I have to force myself. I have been tracking my intake at livestrong.com and after i enter my  physical activity, my net cals are around 300!  I have lost only 28 lbs since surgery.  Any suggestions on how to get more calories?  I feel like i have to eat all the time just to get 800 cals and if i get busy and forget to eat i don't even notice.  I have been taking all my vitamins and suppliments and i feel good, but i feel like i should be losing more weight!  Please help!

Shida77
on 9/9/09 11:51 am
Eating is such a chore I don't want to eat most of the time.  I notice today that I get VERY full really quickly.  I wonder if my "nerves" woke up?

AshleyDillo
on 9/9/09 12:26 pm - Tallahassee, FL
If you're getting the protein in try adding some fats.  Switch to full-fat dairy..use a little real mayo or salad dressing.  The amounts you eat won't hurt.  Fats will help with your digestion and the extra calories will help kick up your metabolism.  Just don't try to up your calories with carbs--you don't want to knock yourself out of ketosis!

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

medwards62
on 9/9/09 12:47 pm
I haven't had any appetite since I woke up from surgery.  Every bite of food I take is forced.  I work out and am also concerned about expending too many calories.  I teach high school English and History and do not have the time to pause for a food break.  I have gone all day without eating and feel fine. 

The last two days I have tried to get my protein and calories up by eating protein ice cream from Eggface's website.  It is awesome and has helped me get closer to my daily calorie and protein goals.

I am told this will get better and that I'll wish for this "honeymoon" period later.  Good luck

georgiapeachinla
on 9/10/09 12:05 am
I think we all go through this phase.. 
 I did for approximately  4 to 6 weeks past surgery... so I got a protein drink with 150 calories per scoop in the morning... ate scrambled egg every morning..  then for lunch and dinner I had to find something high in protein that did not make me sick.. I eat this every day.. regardless of the urge not to eat... I also added  3 protein snacks a day this gets me to about 900 a day or so.. some people can eat the three meals a day and get their protein I have to expand my meals a day in 5 to 6 small meals a day... this helps me & my body to catch up... recently .. I moved to the phase of 3... small meals a day .. 2 snacks with high protein... STIll HARD.. but what I notice when I eat around 900 calories & 8 glasses of water I lose my weight good ... if you do not eat... your body will not let go of the WEIGHT... it will go into starvation mode... then the body will proceed to eat your lean muscle mass because of the fact you have no protein in storage... leaving you large amounts of FLAB.. every day I think about this..EAT PLEASE EAT EVEN WHEN YOUR ARE NOT Hungry!!!  If this continues you may have to speak to your DOC.. can give you something to increase your appetite.. but my DOC encourage me to try the 6 small meals a day.. Try that at first..
I hope things get better
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."   
Lisa 

PoohkinandPiglet
on 9/10/09 2:09 am - TX
I have no appetite either but we have to fuel our body to keep the fat burning going. 

Calories=energy

Try to up your calorie intake to 900-1000 especially if you are exercising.   

KristeMitchell
on 9/10/09 2:24 am
I know how you feel.  I have to remember to eat because if I don't I get really light headed.  I have a very hard time getting more than 800 calories a day.  I don't put in my exercise in livestrong because it would make my calories crazy low.  I probably should up my calories but as long as I keep losing and I'm getting my protein then I am not going to stress myself out trying to force feed myself all day. 

amy1515
on 9/10/09 4:19 am

Thanks everyone for the great advice!  It's sooo nice to have this site to know i'm not alone in all this! I'm so trying to increase the cals and eat more.

IRAYD8U
on 9/10/09 4:27 am - MONTICELLO, MN
Try adding a protien shake right before bed.  Make it a good one too.....very dessert like!  Your body will use that throughout the night and burn your fat instead of your muscle mass since your body will go into starvation mode after about 6 hours of no food.  This is especially recommended for very athletic people, as well as consuming protien during your workouts!  You'll figure it out have faith in yourself!

Heather

HEATHER
               Join us on the Lightweights Board
 Ask me about our Facebook Chat Group: OH WLS-Lightweights
  36 years old
5'7"   HW 256 / SW 240 / CW 145 / GW 140
lori_lora
on 9/13/09 10:11 am - CA
I also have a hard time with eating. I can go all day without food, but need my water. The last two weeks I have been vomiting everything I eat, the only things that stays down is yogurt and liquids. I can't even tolerate protein shakes, they make me sick to my stomach. My surgeon sent me for x-rays on Friday to see if I have a blockage of some kind. I will find the results out on Monday. I have gotten to the point where I'm afraid to eat anything because I don't want it to come back up. I told my surgeon I really want this taken care of cause I don't want to look like a zombie and all my hair falling out because I am not getting any nutrition. The good news is I'm down 55 lbs and I feel really good, have lots of energy, but I know it's going to catch up with me really soon.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1103 views