6 Week Appointment Today--talked about calories

PoohkinandPiglet
on 8/27/09 5:19 am - TX
During my appointment today I talked with Dr. Davis about calorie intake as I've been curious about how many I should be getting in.  He's says between 900-1200 or the fat burning will slow down and the body will go into starvation mode.  

Well, I've only been getting around 800 so I need to up my intake a little.  Especially, now that I'm cleared for rigorous exercise and plan to start strength training next week. 

I'm guessing my weight loss will increase as I add some calories because it's been slow lately.  I've suspected that I'm not getting enough in.   Time will tell. 

JulieTX
on 8/27/09 6:03 am - Whitehouse, TX
Thanks for the update!!!  My calories have probably been around 600 for the last few days and I am not loosing.  I have got to find a good way to get more calories in.  I'm starting back on journaling what I eat with both the protein AND calories.  I've been getting in my protein, but some of it is very low cal, I know I need at least 800!!!

Julie

PoohkinandPiglet
on 8/27/09 6:35 am - TX
I've been struggling too.  I'm going to have to start adding a protein shake in the evening if I am short on calories.  I'm going to try to get mine up to 900-950 daily and hope I start losing a little faster.

(deactivated member)
on 8/27/09 7:36 am
You're a much better patient than I am.  I went in there today and when he walks in it's like I'm struck dumb!  I told him I hadn't exercised in 2 weeks and he got on me about it.  I told him I was thinking about getting up early in the morning to do it and he told me about his 6 mile run this morning and how refreshing it is.  While he was talking, I was thinking about how just going around the block wears me out, lol.

I'm so glad you ask the good questions.  Did he tell you about the realize website?  And when is your 6mo. check-up?  Mine is Jan 14
PoohkinandPiglet
on 8/27/09 12:57 pm - TX
You're too funny!  I was expecting Melinda then he walked in.   The whole time I was thinking about about how loudly my stomach was growling because I didn't eat breakfast before I went. 
I took some Milk of Magnesia last night (which didn't work) and I keep thinking  "oh, gosh . . .
I hope it doesn't start to work while I'm here".  

KristeMitchell
on 8/27/09 8:46 am
Holy gamoly! I would have to eat all day to get that calorie amount! It takes effort to get above 700. That does make sense though.  I just can't imagine eating that many at this point.  My weight loss does seem slow (averaging 3-5 per week).  Maybe I'll try eating over 800 and see if that helps.  It seems like the days I eat more I lose more.  I thought it would be different with the surgery but really 1000 calories is still soooooo little! I could eat that for breakfast 3 months ago, so I guess we are still in good shape!

medwards62
on 8/27/09 11:14 am

Hello everyone!  I've been shy about posting anything before, but I just had to respond to the amount of calories we are supposed to ingest every day.  I had surgery July 7th, and I am still unable to get in more than 1/4 cup of food at a time.  I am not hungry, and when I do eat, it takes everything I have just to consume the 1/4 cup.  I still have problems with meat.  I do much better with "soft" foods.  I finally found some Greek yogurt which has 15 grams of protein and goes down pretty well.  My best source of protein is still a protein drink. 

Although my weight loss has been slower than I thought it would be, it has been steady(36 lbs. since surgery) butI began exercising a week ago and I stopped losing. 

I know I need to up my calories, but I'd have to eat all day to consume the appropriate amount of calories.  I'm afraid of the "grazing"syndrome that perpetuated my weight gain in the first place.  I have an appointment with my surgeon next week...I'm sure he'll tell me to eat more.

AshleyDillo
on 8/27/09 11:30 am - Tallahassee, FL

Upping calories has been working for me!  I've switched to higher or full-fat foods when I can.  It tastes better and keeps me fuller longer. 

Of course getting in the protein is the most important, but if you're already doing that then try to up your fat content.  All natural peanut butter is a good way to do it.

I can usually get in 60g of protein in around 400 calories..so I started using full fat cheeses and full fat mayo to help up the calorie count.  I even eat bacon!  Avocados are good for calories (and good fat!)

So my diet is low carb, moderate fat and high protein.  Someone on the board had posted about the science behind a diet like that and it made a lot of sense.  It's the basis behind the Atkins diet which a lot of people lost weight on when it was the big fad--too bad that diet didn't really promote moderation which is why it got the bad rap for heart health.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

PoohkinandPiglet
on 8/27/09 12:16 pm - TX

I specifically asked about calorie intake with vigorous exercise and that's when he gave me the 1200 top number.  Obviously, none of us can get that in now but that will be more realistic later on especially as we increase our exercise and start to burn more calories.  

I do find that I lose more when I up the calories and have started incorporating some higher fat proteins into my diet.  An extra 100-150 calories is as easy as an extra protein shake or big glass of milk.   

Sabrenia8888
on 8/27/09 1:47 pm - Orlando, FL
Thanks for posting your 6 week check up info from Dr. G. I do not see him until my 6month check up so its good to know all the check up updates. I am very low on calories at the moment and that is probaly why I am at a pause/stall. I got to take charge and eat more. I think I may have some bacon here and there and Isopure at night or something. Did you give him a hug for me?
Ms. Exquisite
"Obstacles are what we see when we take our eyes off the goal"  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views