Low Carb ??!??!?

n2deep
on 8/17/09 3:30 am - XX
Is everyone pretty much sticking to a low carb diet?  I'd be interested to know!  That's what my Dr. Suggested.  But then he said I could take a sandwich....which has bread.  Most of the people at the support group...eat whatever they like in just smaller amounts.  Let me know...I'd be interested!

Be the CHANGE in the world...that you want to see 

Mahatma Ghandi

LisaMDCA
on 8/17/09 3:47 am, edited 8/17/09 3:48 am - Santa Clarita, CA
My doctor told me absolutely no bread, no pasta and no rice for at LEAST 6 months.  No tortillas either.  I can have potatoes and yams and peas and corn... those are carbs and starches that are okay to have right now.  Oh and Ak-Mak crackers!!!  That is what I am doing.

lisa

Started my journey - 450 lbs (VBG)
Had a revision at - 262 lbs (RNY)

PoohkinandPiglet
on 8/17/09 5:54 am - TX
I'm eating a low carb diet.  I never eat more than 50 carbs a day and most of those come from veggies or protein sources  (milk, whole grain oatmeal, etc...).  I do eat 1/2 a low carb tortilla pizza a few times a week.    I like a 1/4 of an Orowheat sandwich thin toasted with a smear of low glycemic peanut butter--it's whole grain and fairly low in carbs. 

If I eat carbs, I eat them in the morning then stay away from other carby meals for the rest of the day  (i.e.   if I eat oatmeal for breakfast then I stick with lean protein and veggies for the rest of the day).  I don't eat oatmeal or Go Lean Crunch cereal for breakfast then have a tortilla pizza for lunch on the same day.  It's all about balance.

(deactivated member)
on 8/17/09 10:30 am - Glenside, PA
I'm not really tracking my carbs, yet. 

I have tried a piece of multigrain bread toasted with PB for breakfast but it didn't sit well in my pouch.  I have had a little bit of pasta with no ill effects, however, pasta is a weakness so I don't plan on having it very often.  I haven't tried rice yet, but I've had baked potatoes quite a few times.

What I do have now is multi-grain crackers with my tuna salad.  They went down well. 

I am really interested in finding some fiber to keep things moving along!
PoohkinandPiglet
on 8/17/09 12:04 pm - TX
Dreamfield's Low carb pasta is really good.  I cook it for my husband and kids and have tasted it several times.  It's definitely something I'll eat again occasionally.

latinamommy
on 8/17/09 1:05 pm - Winslow, AZ
My nut. said that it would be really dumb to fill my pouch with carbs.  Since there is limited space in there it really does make sense.  She said I should stick to filling my pouch with protein sources at this point.  Sometime in the future I will be able to eat carbs again but for now I will keep trying for the protein goal. 
Dominique

KristeMitchell
on 8/18/09 3:00 am
So nut said I can eat just about anything. I don't do a ton of carbs but I do have some in some of my foods.  I made a deal with myself before surgery that I would eat the brown versions of bread, rice, and pasta when I make something. Since I don't really care for brown stuff, I don't eat it too much.  I will allow myself some tortillas eventually because I am a sucker for mexican food.  But only when I eat out and in very small portions.  I try to shot for a 2:1 ratio of carbs daily.  It the end of the day, I try to have twice as much protein as my carbs.

n2deep
on 8/18/09 4:20 am - XX
Maybe I'm confused but high protein is the same as low carb.  You want to fill up on your meat first and then veggies....I'm assuming "nut" in both cases is the Dr??!   And would be curious to know how your "nut" earned that title LOL!

Be the CHANGE in the world...that you want to see 

Mahatma Ghandi

Shida77
on 8/18/09 7:33 am
I don't eat a lot of carbs because I am so afraid! I'm scared it will blow up in my pouch and make me feel sick.  I don't know if that is possible, but I'm so afraid of eating.  My nut (nutritionist LOL) says that everything in moderation is ok and find the lowfat, lo carb version of foods.  I have tortillas, but they are low-carb.  I don't eat fast food and I hope I can stay away from it.  So many of my friends that have had RNY now eat everything INCLUDING fast food.  I really don't want to go that route.  Funny, when I see something that I want, i.e. fried shrimp, I put it in my mouth and it really doesn't taste good so I spit it out.  I think it's mental, #1 it never really tasted good at all, and #2 I'm afraid of what it will do to my pouch. 

I love reading about what people are eating.  I'm having such a time finding things that I should be eating and what is good for me as a RNY patient.

AshleyDillo
on 8/19/09 8:53 am - Tallahassee, FL

The only carbs I get are the ones that come in my protein drinks, from beans or the milk sugars.  

If I make my protein goals for the day and it's not too late I'll have some less-starchy veggie (like green beans or broccoli) or applesauce.  

I'm staying away from the starches (except for the occasional bite) because those are my food triggers.  I don't want to fill my pouch up with 'taters, pasta and breads at this point since I can barely get enough protein!

Once I am further out I plan to stick to a 3:1 ratio--3 bites of protein, 1 bite of veggie.  When I get even further out I will reintroduce whole grains to my diet, but never alone--I will always combine it with protein.

However, I do NOT stick to lowfat or fat free items.  The fat helps things slide through my digestive system without pain and I feel more satisfied with what I eat.  Plus the lowfat/fat free stuff usually has added starches to mimic the consistency of fat.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views