My head is hungry

KristeMitchell
on 8/12/09 8:37 am
Hey guys...
I am feeling down and I really want to eat! I haven't felt like this my surgery.  I am trying to eat every three hours and I keep watching the clock waiting for the next time to eat.  I'm bummed.  I don't want to feel like this and I don't want to care about food anymore, but I do.  Like I keep saying it's all a process. 

How are you guys dealing with head hunger?

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/09 10:13 am - Glenside, PA
Funny you brought this up today.  I totally ate "off schedule" today because I had cooked a pot roast and it was ready.  It was only a hour and a half since I had eaten lunch! 

Anyway, what usually happens is that if I keep to the 1/2 before and 1 hour after rule of drinking, I have a better time scheduling my food.  I should have had a glass of water by my side instead of eating that pot roast!

The other thing that makes a huge difference is that I was drinking water flavored with berry juice punch.  The extra sugar was making me hungry!  When I stopped adding that into my water I found my hunger much less and easier to control.

I also find that the busier I am the less I focus on eating.
bryden1401
on 8/12/09 10:14 am
My head hunger has kicked my a$$ i actually cried in the mc'donalds drive theu when my hubby ordered food for him and the kids felt like a tard cause i was like oh i will never eat here again but i know i will just not necessarily  what i use to eat and i wasn't even hungry.  Ever spaghettis were looking good and i don't like them. It kicks my butt and i get down like we use to stop at the sotre to get snacks now there isn't anything i can really get.  I am dying for some salty nuts lol but scared to eat them yet. 5 weeks out tomorrow. Kind of tired of all the sweet stuff.
Consult weight 329
surgery weight 318
current weight 177
goal 165

scarroll32
on 8/12/09 10:48 am
I feel your pain girl!  I had the "head" hunger my second week post-op and it just about killed me.  I am doing better now but I still have my days.  I also had a break down in the taco bell drive-thru with my husband!  He ordered tacos and was driving and asked me to put the hot sauce packets on them and I refused to touch them!  I made him stop and let me drive so I wouldn't have to touch it and I rode with the window down so I wouldn't have to smell it.  I hate to deprive him of eating but I just couldn't handle taco bell just yet.  It will get easier for us and it sure is nice seeing the lbs drop off!
Sabrenia8888
on 8/12/09 12:11 pm - Orlando, FL
OMG, when I have temptation I go for something that is on ly list like sf pop or jello. My family have been very supportive and they have dive in and started to eat healthy and they try not to eat bad food around me.
Ms. Exquisite
"Obstacles are what we see when we take our eyes off the goal"  
PoohkinandPiglet
on 8/12/09 12:20 pm - TX
I'm feeling the same way!  Last night I baked peanut butter cookies for my husband and kiddos and they smelled so yummy.    Bread has been calling out to me. 

When I think I'm hungry but it's not time to eat, I drink water then try to wait 30 minutes to see if that satisfied me. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/09 2:01 pm
Ok this is hard to admit but I will do it because I think we should be honest with eachother.

Last week when I was on pureed food, I was coming home from Houston and I was hungry but was trying to get home before I ate anything.  And you know what fleeted through my head?!?!  OMG this is so ridiculous!  I actually thought to go through the Mickey D's drive thru and go home and puree a Big Mac!!! 

Can you believe that?  Now it was just a quick thought that ran through my head and I didn't really consider doing it, but still!!!  The devil was in my head!
Sabrenia8888
on 8/13/09 12:19 am - Orlando, FL
OMG, puree a big mac!!! I bet that would have tasted good. I think its human for us o t hink this way sometimes. Look where we have all come from and where we are now. In do time we will be able to eat real food and to be honest I am not looking forward to that day. I hope I am soooo close to  my goal that nothing will get me off track.
Ms. Exquisite
"Obstacles are what we see when we take our eyes off the goal"  
JulieTX
on 8/13/09 3:23 am - Whitehouse, TX
confession is good for the soul, right?!

Hang in there guys.  Keep your eyes on the prize!  Post op did not make us any different people than we were before, just now we have a tool for success.  I have craved crunch!  I have had some pretzels and melba toast and some days probably had too many carbs!  I keep telling myself that someday I can have a BITE of anything I want, just not now.

Visions of the explainations of fellow RNY'ers of stuck food and dumping I pay over and over in my head when I am tempted.  So far so good.  If you are no****ching bariatricTV.com, you are missing a treat!

Making cookies!! What a saint!!!  I'm a bad mom/wife and don't cook all that often.  I also avoid the temptations whenever possible.  My family doesn't need junk either so I don't keep it around.  For the last couple of weeks I've bought ONE single serving of ice cream for each of the kids.  Other than that, it is popcycles, fudgecycles or deam cycles for everyone.

My new treat...Baby Bell Light cheese... so good!  I also bought some real bacon bits to put in my chicken salad.  It really is pretty lean in moderation.

So far I'm pretty lucky in being able to keep my mind off food.  But I'm not going to kid myself that I won't have my "big mac" day!  Thanks for sharing. 
Julie

Shida77
on 8/13/09 7:24 am
Thank goodness that I'm normal! Yesterday I went to the mall and bored my Mom and nieces telling them every food I would eat at ever restaurant we passed by.  I felt stupid when I got home because I realized NOTHING about me has changed except the doctor took half of my tummy.  I still am that fat girl that feels so satiated with food.  Some days I'm good, I don't even want to eat, but others OMG.  We went to lunch yesterday and I did have a proud moment when I didn't order anything but ate a bite of my moms fajita chicken. 

Really, I feel like a lonely fish because I never know what I'm supposed and not supposed to eat.  Nothing makes me sick and I know I'm not getting enough nutrition.  This is rough........

Oh and I have a friend that had surgery in Nov of 2008...he blended a Quarter Pounder.  We laughed so hard when he did that and he loved it.  The other day he said just do it....I growled at him and told him I wish we wouldn't have encouraged him to do it back then. 

Oh, and I do eat crackers...it's on my list.  I'll have 2 little thin crackers with cheese.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1103 views