help, support, advice...I need somethin...

lem124
on 8/7/09 1:48 pm - Silver Spring, MD
RNY on 07/27/09 with
Hey everyone,
Physically all has been going pretty well since my RNY on 7/27/09. I am incredibly grateful to have had no major complications, and to be recuperating nicely at my parents' house.  However, I'm stuck on one thing, a big thing, and I am just so frustrated...

I can't get anywhere NEAR the 70gm of protein required by my doc each day. I mean, I can't even touch it.  At some point last week, I just got SUPER sick of the protein shakes I've been drinking (unjury and designer whey) and just the idea of them made me super nauseous. Tried making pudding with protein powder, and it was so sweet and made me feel kinda sick. I added protein to thinned cream soups, same result.

I begged my dietitian today to advance me to pureed foods, which she did. However, that doesn't help me a lot. I've had a HUGE aversion to foods with the "pureed" consistency my whole life, and don't eat ricotta, cottage cheese, yogurt or pureed meats. I can and have been eating some eggs. However, this means I've been hovering around 15-20gm of protein a day. Not good at all.

My energy levels are down, and I know this isn't helping my healing. Any thoughts? ideas? I'm stuck, tired and a little bit scared of eating so little for so long...

Thanks so much for listening, and any advice.

Lissa

mystimel
on 8/7/09 3:40 pm - Long Beach, CA
I really advise trying these things called protein bullets made by IDS. You can get them a lot of places. Vitamin shop I know is one. Someone told me walmart had some too. They have 42 grams of protein in a small couple ounces. I dilute them with 32 oz of water, though you could dilute them furtheror less if you want (though I don't reccommend less... hehe), and they taste like gatorade. no protein flavor whatsoever. I get the grape flavorcause to me they have the least aftertaste. I also have milk and yogurt as protein sources and I'm looking forward to scrambled eggs once I am able to eat pureed foods, as it's allowed then for me. I've also been dreaming of pureeing meatballs with spaghetti sauce... mmmm.
I'm not too big a fan of pureed foods either but if it's one more thing I can eat then I'll get over it really, lol. I used to hate cottage cheese for the texture ... now I really want some though! When my mom was on pureed foods she said she used to have albondigas soup at a mexican restaurant. Then she'd "puree" the meatballs in her mouth before swallowing. They were all moist and saturated from the soup so it was pretty easy to do she said.
With the liquids... I got this timer called gymboss that will beep at an interval of whatever time set. I set it at 3 minutes and I manage a gulp every 3 minutes rather than a sip a lot of the time. I find I can use it to time my sipping so I can get down lots of fluids. This way I can get the 32 ounces in in a few hours sipping, otherwise it may take me all day. I could finish two 42 gram protein bullets each day even when diluted so much, but I don't usually because my doctor only requires 40 grams or so. If you can't afford gymboss there's a free online timer I found that does the same thing called "secs"
Just put a little more effort into trying things and trying to make your protein goal, you may regret it later if you don't... Just take it easy and do what your doc says so you have time to heal properly. Good luck!
SW:230 CW:159 GW:135

Sabrenia8888
on 8/7/09 11:00 pm - Orlando, FL
This is going to help me too. It's really hard getting in the proteins so I am going to get some of these protein bullets. Anything to increased the protein besides shakes. The shakes makes me really nausea and sick and I just can not stand them. I like Ispoure but I can not get anywhere near the entire 20oz in a day which is 40 grams of proteins. I have been maily concentrating on my water intake and easy a little bit more of protein in a day. I like the timer thing too, because at least it gives you a juump start of when to sip. It takes me almost 30 minutes to finish 1 glass of water up in a day, not good...so I am sipping all day long. I am now on pureed and I tried mash potato w/o gravy..I was only able to eat 2 tbls and the rest was waste.
mystimel
on 8/8/09 2:58 pm - Long Beach, CA
I think the sip timer will help you most. If you like isopure that's good I think the watered down bullets have a similar flavor. Though to make them taste good you probably want to water them down to 32 ounces, which is more than you say you can get in the isopure... buuut I think the bullets are cheaper possibly so that's a bit better. You really won't want to just try to drink the bullets as is. Trust me they're really gross that way. Syrupy and stuff. You also have to think about the fact that you just can't absorb so much protein at one time. So the more fluids you can spread it out with and the more time you take, the more protein you'll actually get in. So get a timer and sip lots and lots! Turn it on with everything you're drinking. you'll be surprised how much you can get in. Good luck :)
SW:230 CW:159 GW:135

latinamommy
on 8/8/09 12:54 am - Winslow, AZ

At my one week pre-op I told my dr about the pureed food making me gag and he said that as long as I am chewing really well I can have soft food.  If you do decide to puree your food in your mouth take really small bites and big breaks between each bite.

Dominique

bryden1401
on 8/8/09 1:04 am
I do the same as th eabove posted i tried puree'ing my foods  and it just looked nasty. My nut said "soft" fooods meaning anything i can smash witha fork so i just take any meat i have an cut it into tiny pieces then i chew chew chew and i get to eat sort of normal foods so to speak and by the time i chew them all up it is ok i have onyl have one stuck issue because i did'nt eat slow enough. I was in fear of ever food i tried but i had to get over it or else i would end up in the hospital being tube fed please try hard to get it in.  I have heard rave reviews about the syntrax unflavored protein and i am going to go get sometoday i can let you know i also have tried their chocolate truffle and taste like chocolate milk and a frosty if you make it right.
Good Luck.
Consult weight 329
surgery weight 318
current weight 177
goal 165

Dawn Just Dawn
on 8/8/09 2:37 am
I felt the same way.  I tried different homemade soups with chicken breast meat in it and since the soups were creamy I didn't even notice the meat texture.  I really needed something savory with out the 'protein' flavor. 
Hang in there!!
  Dawn    Stroke Dawg   is stroking outhttp://i.imgur.com/Zk9Yj.jpg
lem124
on 8/8/09 10:44 am - Silver Spring, MD
RNY on 07/27/09 with
Hi all,

THANK YOU so much for all of your advice and encouragement! It is so great to be able to reach out to all of you.

I have taken a LOT of your advice, and am feeling much better today. I had a protein shake (yuk) for breakfast and then experimented with soft foods the rest of the day. I ate some tuna and tilapia, which was great. I know I'm still not hitting the protein goal, but I'm working on it. Also went to the Vitamin Shoppe to get some new protein options, and will try one tomorrow.

This whole thing is QUITE a ride...I wonder how/if I could have prepared better. I'm just glad I'm HERE and doing alright.

Have a great night everyone!

Lissa

Shida77
on 8/9/09 1:02 pm
My "purees" are more minced than anything.  I put stuff in the Magic Bullet, so they don't look like babyfood but like shredded meat.  So far,  I haven't had any meat issues other than red meat.  I put everything in the bullet and it's working out! I stopped those protein shakes a long time ago because they are GROSS and made me gag just from the smell.  I tried every kind, every way of preparation and just couldn't do it.  I cried and the doctor just said it's okay if I spend my entire day eating and getting that protein. 

Good luck ALL!

wyoctry
on 8/9/09 2:31 pm - Riverton, WY
my suggestion... go buy some cans of cream of chicken soup.. and unflavored whey protein powder.  Put a scoop of this protein powder in your soup and you get something yummier than all these sweet protein shakes and bullets.. but boosted with extra protein.  The unflavored whey protein I bought is from GNC.. I mix it in soups, pudding.. whatever.. to boost the protein amount.  It works good for me because I am sick of all the sweet shakes and bullets.

Hang in there.. each day increase an couple oz.. and u will get there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1103 views