Day 8 Post Op - Here's how I'm doing? How are you doing? LONG POST

Dawn Just Dawn
on 8/1/09 12:48 am
Hi Everyone,
I love hearing (okay, reading) updates on everyone, and I know we all heal at different paces, but I still like to compare and contrast where I am with other folks.  In a way, it's a very comforting coping tool to know you aren't alone...  So thought I'd ask for your "how are you today" posts!!! And of course tell you all where I am today.

For me, I can't seem to shake this post-op fever.  Had some blood work done yesterday and thank God for KP as you can get your blood results online, usually within a few hours.  My results are all outside of normal, which probably means I'm sporting a secondary infection- thus the fever.  I'm also really tired.  I had anemia before and it kinda feels like that, but I keep moving and walking and doing my incentive breathing.  I don't have 'pain', but dang those staples are uncomfortable.  I so badly want to grab a pair of tweezers and yank those suckers out one by one.  But I won't.  My post op is Monday, so only a few more days of having a Frankenstein Stomach!
(Side note, I had gall bladder out, lap band in 2000, 3 lap band related surgeries so my stomach looks like a war-zone - old scars, fresh scars and now new incisions.)

I actually have had no hunger.  I have to make myself eat 'food'.  Sipping the drinks all day long is easy.  Maybe that saying "starve a fever, feed a cold" is true, cause I just ain't hungry

So far I'm done 11 pounds. Yeah!

I hope everyone has a great day!!! 

Dawn    Stroke Dawg   is stroking outhttp://i.imgur.com/Zk9Yj.jpg
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/09 2:52 am - Glenside, PA
I'm sorry you are going through the fever thing. Of course you feel tired!  Take EXTRA good care of yourself to shake this whatever. 

I am almost three weeks post-op and feeling better everyday.   I am struggling to learn the "rules" of this new pouch of mine.  Yesterday it seemed I had a bottomless put.  Today, I am struggling to fit in 1/4 cup.  What's up with that?  

My stomach is healing, but I find if I walk too far or to fast I have a permanent "stiich" in my side when my large incision is.  I have to hold it in if I walk.  Today I am off to buy a shapewear garment to help with that.  I would like to increase, not decrease, my exercise. 

I have my three week post-op with my surgeon on Monday.   

I am down 13 lbs and "trying" not to compare mself to all those others who seem to be melting away.

Hope you feel better VERY soon!
Dawn Just Dawn
on 8/1/09 3:14 am
Yeah for you!  13 pounds!  That is awesome.  Have you tried SPANX (i think that is how it is spelled), they are pricey, but the hold everything in place.
Thank you for your well wishes!!! 
:-)Dawn
lori_lora
on 8/1/09 3:24 pm - CA
Congratulations on your 13 lbs loss.
I am almost 3 weeks post op. I have the exact same problem with my side hurting and I also have to hold it in as I walk. I was thinking of getting some kind of band to wrap around my stomach section when I take walks to see if it helps. Did you get your shapewear garment? Please let me know if this helps you and I may get one also. I think is is good not to compare our weightloss with others, it may get us down.
I am having a very slow recovery. I first had to have four blood transfusions during the first two days of my recovery and was on all IVs for the first three days. I didn't even get ice chips until my third day in the hospital! (I was in for a total of 5 days). I am now dealing with one of my incision still draining, and have to pack gauze in it everyday. The doctor said it should clear up in about 10 days.
I try to keep positive and know I am getting better and stronger everyday. Can't wait until I can walk my dogs again!
latinamommy
on 8/1/09 3:25 am - Winslow, AZ
Sorry to hear you're not feeling 100% but you will soon!! 

YAY for the 11lbs!!  Thats great!

I am feeling pretty much back to normal.  I don't feel hungry usually and I find it's kind of hard to time my meals so this week my protein intake SUCKED!!  I do notice that if I eat too fast or drink too much at once I get this horrible pain in my chest as if a ball of food is moving SLOWLY down to my stomach and I feel it in my back.  It is so weird but it kind of puts me in check real quick and makes me slow down and take smaller bites.  I am only down 2 lbs from my 30 at my 1 week post op.  I am getting a little discouraged with that but I figure that it will happen for me eventually! 
Dominique

bryden1401
on 8/1/09 4:35 am
I am 3 weeks out and on soft foods. I have to make my self eat also i realized at 2pm yesterday i hadn't eaten anything just had some liquids.  I am struggling with eating and drinking and getting in all my supplements still.  I never want breakfast so i think i a gonna have to find a protien i like and use ti for breakfast.  I cannot seem to get in that 88g of protien i need nor the 64 oz of water grrr. i gotta do better.

Start weight was 329
Surgery weight 318
Current weight 293
Consult weight 329
surgery weight 318
current weight 177
goal 165

Shida77
on 8/1/09 10:56 am
Hey Guys!
I'm 2 wks out come Monday...time is zooming by! I feel pretty good most days.  The problem comes in that on those good days, I must think I'm WonderWoman because I find that I overdo it and then feel horrible afterwards.  Today, I woke up and had to drive to the bank.  Well, maybe I moved wrong because my pouch was hurting...then I went to WalMart....BIG MISTAKE.  I was hot, tired, hungry, and in pain.  So, I'm home now resting. 

I am having a dickens of a time getting my food in.  I can sip all day, but those protein shakes make me gag and I do not eat yogurt.  So, this protein business is rough.  I start purees Monday, so I'm hoping I can get the protein in better with actual food.  In WalMart when I was getting lightheaded, I said to my Mom that I realized I hadn't "eaten" all day.  I know that is bad and I'm trying.  So, when I got in I had skim milk with protein added and put a shot of SF choc syrup in it. 

I haven't weighed myself so I don't know where I am on that.

Hope you feel better, fevers SUCK!

JulieTX
on 8/1/09 11:01 am - Whitehouse, TX
I ran a low grade fever for about 7 days post op (stayed 99 or 100) but dr said it was ok.

I have days where I am just disinterested in food.  AND it takes so long to eat that it is somedays a lot of trouble.  But is does seem to be easier post op than I ever expected.

Today is one of those I could care less about food days, which also means I didn't pay enough attention to my fluids.  Went clothes shopping with my DD and when we got out to the car I was so thirsty.  Forgetting myself I took a big swig of water..OUCH...I just sat up really straight and took small breaths until the water could filter out of my pouch.  When we got to the next store, I got a bottle of water and sip sip sip through the store!

As for my clothes, I got into a size 20 for the first time in years!  I have lost 2 inches in my waist.  I started out wearing tight 3X (probably should have been a 4X) and today I comfortably wore 2X!!
Julie

RazzyRobyn
on 8/2/09 10:50 am - West Boylston, MA
I'm on day 6 post-op and it's been a very rough weekend for me. The heat and humidity have been so high that I've had neusea all weekend, I feel like I could get sick at any moment. I have struggled to drink my water and carnation instant breakfast. I have cried and had "buyers" remorse all weekend. The worst thing was my inlaws visited and brought in McDonalds breakfast the yesterday morning. (This was a major favorite food of mine.) Not that I was hungry for it, because I was not, but I felt like they were so insensitive. They also did not agree with me having the surgery. (I do know everyone has to eat and I have to deal with it, I just thought they might be a litte sensitive in my first few weeks, but hey I did not even get  a get well card from them either.)

Sorry, I'm just emotional.

Also, Friday I weighed myself for the first time post-op and saw that I gained 9 pounds! I was SO upset. Ironically today I weigh 15 pounds less... so I have no clue if my scale is going nuts like me or if that's correct.

Just wanted to chime in. I feel very alone and I'm struggling through recovery. Thank you for being here OH family.
Robyn

Highest known weight 268 lbs.
Lowest weight since surgery 115 lbs.
Currently maintaining at 125 lbs.

My RNY has saved my life and given me a new life!

Dawn Just Dawn
on 8/2/09 11:31 am
Hang in there!  I now how you feel with the food.  My DH is eating his meal alone in the computer room.  I'm just not ready to see others eat yet... even thought I'm not hungry

Day 9 is better than day 8 which is better than day 7.... hang in there!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!