surgery cancelled for now

xpydawn
on 7/23/09 8:05 am
My date was upposed to be today, but my GP decided it was best for me to cancel it because of my head cold. I guess they dont like to put you under if you are not well. I am so upset but I understand the reasoning. I am hoping for a date soon, my surgeons office said maybe sept....but Im praying for Aug. You guys have been great. Thanks for your support.
mari F.
on 7/23/09 8:13 am - wichita falls, TX
Keep your chin up. You will get your day =)  Just concentrate on getting better and we are all here for ya! 
(deactivated member)
on 7/23/09 10:34 am
So sorry you didn't have surgery today.  Those darn summer colds!  Hope you get an Aug date!
Sabrenia8888
on 7/23/09 12:39 pm - Orlando, FL
I'm sorry to hear your date has been cancelled. I have been trying to stay clean of any bacteria.
Ms. Exquisite
"Obstacles are what we see when we take our eyes off the goal"  
PoohkinandPiglet
on 7/23/09 12:42 pm - TX
I'm sorry your original date didn't work out.   Ever since surgery, I have an occasional wet cough that produces mucus (TMI, I know, sorry) and I'm sure it's from having the  breathing tube during surgery.    It's best for your health and safety to wait until you are 100%.   Good luck

wyoctry
on 7/23/09 3:32 pm - Riverton, WY
I am actually surprised you were cancelled.  5 days prior my surgery I developed flu like symptoms.. fever, chills, body aches, even ran a fever of 102.7 that night.  My GP put me on antibiotics and said as long as it didn't go to my chest, effecting my asthma, we were still set to go.  Then 3 days prior I called my surgeon and they confirmed we were still on.  I was feeling much better.  Over the weekend the antibiotics kicked the rest and when I arrived at the hospital Monday morning, they gave me a nebulizer treatment prior surgery to ensure my airway was good and open...and off i went.

But of course all doctors are different and perhaps your cold is in your chest.  Anyhow, I wish you the best, much patience.. and a speedy date recovery :)

KristeMitchell
on 7/23/09 3:56 pm
What a bummer! Well, the timing will work out when it is suppose to.  Good luck!!

Laura_Illinois
on 7/23/09 11:23 pm - Morris, IL
Hi,
Well we are "sisters" in the last minute cancellation department.

It is very upsetting to have your surgery canceled. You put on your brave face and muster up all your courage to face this surgery. You know you are doing it for all the right reasons, to improve your health etc., and than the rug gets pulled out from under you at the last minute.

Now you have to re-psych yourself up for the surgery again. That is the hard part for me.

Especially the pre-op diet part. I was sooooo good for 2 weeks before my original date of July 9th. Then I was told to go back on a "normal" diet and not do the "liquid diet" again for my new date. What?

My new surgery date was 3 weeks later, July 30th. So hopefully you won't have to wait too long for your new date.

I am going to try and get back on a liquid diet today for surgery next Thursday. Keep in touch if you'd like to compare notes.

If life knocks you down 7 times, get up 8!Laura_Illinois

WhiteAura
on 7/24/09 10:59 am
Hang in there. I just had my surgery this week, back on July 20th. I was psyched. When I woke up after the surgery, I felt awful -- so much pain, and I said to myself "why did I do this to myself?"  The first two days weren't awful because the nursing staff in the hospital was super.  But by the second evening/third day (and change of staff I might add) while in the hospital, I had an emotional melt down. Finally I asked my surgeon (who is a really great guy and surgeon) to discharge me immediately because I really needed to be at home with my family. Otherwise, I wouldn't eat, I was crying, I felt scared and I really didn't care for the nursing staff much after that second night. As per my request, my surgeon did discharge me because medically I was fine, however he was unaware of the emotional melt down, which is not necessarily an uncommon occurence after this surgery but is certainly important for the surgeon to be aware of.  He was disappointed to know that he was not made aware of this by the staff when it began that second evening.

This is my own personal story, I know. You may have a great experience and I hope you do. I'm just saying that everything happens for a reason and maybe its just God's way of saying "you aren't ready yet". Though I am sure it will all pan out for you soon!

I just wanted to say this because I was so excited before my surgery, but I don't think I was nervous enough....there was no real fear of the unknown.  So now I'm fighting my need for sweets while I'm healing and it isn't easy!!!!  I'm not saying don't go through with it...I'm just saying accept the delay as "meant to be" for now.  Perhaps there is a bit more preparation needed.

Best of luck to you!!
MotoMommy
on 7/24/09 3:55 pm - oceanside, CA
 what happened to white aura pretty much happened to me ... I asked the nurse

omg.. what did i do ???

My doc sent me home and since they have sent me home.. which was wednesday... i've been doing GREEEEEEEEEEEEEAT ~!!.. I am loving life now.... I am home watching my babies.

On the original topic... I also was down in commision for a good old bronchitis the week before surgery... I met with the anthesteloosist ( sp) and he cleared me.. I was 100% honest with him to... 

every doc is different... I always have faith that its for a reason !!! 

Hugs
 ** Living my life.... **

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views