3 Days post op update

ccavna
on 7/22/09 10:59 am

Hello all I wanted to post an update on how I’m doing since it isn't a problem I haven’t heard of yet. Well after surgery I was in recovery and just felt the usual pain I expected. Later that night I was given an IV line that didn't stay long because the vain must have blew and saline gathered in my arm now this happened about 4 more times before they finally found a good vain well a feel asleep and woke up with my arm the size of a grape fruit. They took that out and then sent me to x ray for my barium swallow now I have had nothing to drink and no pain meds in few hours so this was obviously one of the worst moments. After I got back from X ray someone came in to put in a Midline in my arm so I was able to get fluids and pain meds but no help with pain. I started to get up every 2 to 3 hours and do 3 laps in my unit. The pain was horrible especially at night it seems laying down was the worst, the next day (today) I tried my hardest to walk with so much pain. The afternoon seemed to go a bit more smoothly but as evening came around the pain once again became worse. finally my doctor saw me walking the halls and said that it may not be gas as I had been assuming the whole time but most likely the muscle in my stomach so he gave me this really good stuff which has made me feel the most comfortable yet. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow but with no urge to pass gas or BM there may not be any end in sight at least for now. Oh yea for all of you who will say take gas x I have been told that since the gas is inside my abdomen and not my intestines gas X wont touch it.

PoohkinandPiglet
on 7/22/09 11:14 am - TX
Glad you updated us on your progress.  I hope you feel better soon!  Wishing you an easy recovery from here on out.

collinsne
on 7/22/09 11:29 am - Barre, VT
Sorry to hear that post-op hasn't been a breeze for you.  You should not have to tolerate pain.  They should be giving you something for it.  Hopefully you are now on clear liquid.  Sip Sip Sip.  Hopefully you'll be sent home tomorrow.
Nancy
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/09 2:09 pm
That does not sound like a fun recovery!  So sorry, hopefully they have figured it out now.  Good luck going home tomorrow!
MommyOf2Angelz
on 7/23/09 8:13 pm
Thank you for the update.  I hope you feel better soon!!!  Keep us posted.
wyoctry
on 7/24/09 3:44 am - Riverton, WY
Your post is quite similiar to the pain i have been dealing with.  here is what I posted yesterday as to muscle injury.  Also my IV's did the same.. well, except the grape fruit.. ouch.  My first IV was put in my left hand and then the evening after the surgery, it cloted.  When they tried to flu**** OMG.. the pain.  So they put a new one in my right hand.  After about 10 hours there.. it colapsed but I insisted they pull it right away.  I went about 2 hrs and then they put a third IV in my right arm and that made it till discharge.  No Fun.  Glad you are surviving this.
Anyhow.. here is what I learned about the muscle pain.. and btw.. I am day 11 postop and yes, it is still hurting.  But at least I understand and can work around it.  Sort of :)
Hang in there.. you are not alone.

Well i found out why I have so much pain.  The doc said that due to the two incisions on the left area of tummy being so close, and that one instrument goes downward to fill the cavity with air and stretch the muscle.. and the second lower incision is for an instrument that goes up to the stomach, there is potential that when the two criss cross, the muscle gets pinched and results in more muscle pain and longer healing in that area.  Also due to the fact that I wanted to do so well after surgery, the first day I was up and walking all over the halls, extremely well, and the second day.  On the third I had told the staff that I was feeling this pain, stabbing sharp pain with a hot branding iron..... anyhow.. did too much too soon and added to the injury of the muscle.  It's NOT GAS and I am NOT a WIMP like my aunt told me.

The doc said with the muscle pain, that is why it is sharp and sudden.. if I breath too deep, stretch, turn, stand, sit.. a way that flexes the muscle... it yells STOP and boy o'boy do I hear it.  So time will just be a bit slower to heal.

Other than that.. he said I am doing great.  Right on track.  Since my last visit with him on July 6th, not quite 3 weeks, I have lost 20 lbs.  He said due to the muscle injury, I haven't lost the post surgery swelling/water weight yet.. and that it will probably be another week.  Then he said to expect a big drop of like 10 lbs in a day or two.  It will be nice to have my swollen tender tummy feel better.

ccavna
on 7/24/09 4:41 am
well I wanted to tell everyone I was sent home yesterday and I feel so much better. I was able to last a bit longer without pain meds. Im peeing passing gas like crazy and I have has a BM so hey things are doing well. the only pain I can complain about is where the JP tube is and the left side where the muscle pain is. I started all the vitamins and pills which are going much more smoothly then expected. Its taking me about 45 min to drink 2oz of protien which im struggleing with and im no where near gettomg 60oz of water in but I hear thats normal. In the hospitol they put me on Morphene and OMG wooooozyyyyyyyy nap time. they have sent me home with the pill form so it has made me sleepy which is tough to do when your expected to sip sip sip walk walk walk and protien protien protien all within the time your awake. all in all I am doing well. I think being home and off the IV has helped. Thanks for all the support and posts.

Chris-
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!