8 days post and ugh.. the pain

wyoctry
on 7/21/09 8:47 am - Riverton, WY
hi all... I am getting frustraited.  I read other posts here and it sounds so much better than what i am dealing with.  Starting to feel like a whimp.  My RNY was 7/13 and I am still having quite a bit of pain.  It is mostly on the left area of tummy.. if I sit for more than a few min. I need help to get up.  It's not gas, trust me... I have no problem passing gas  ... I go for short walks outside... just hate the heat so mostly walk around the house or wait till sun sets and then can walk around block.
I have inquired with the clinic and they said as long as there is no redness, swelling, or heat at incision sites, I am just healing slow.  blah blah blah...
My first followup is Thursday.  I can't wait.  I have liquid Lortab but hate the headache and hangover feeling so trying to get by on tylenol.
I am taking fluids fine but have a hard time getting a lot of protein.  I am not a fan of sweets and they market it all for those that love to drink milkshakes or fruit juices.  Getting my EAS protein down ok but that is only 17 g per carton and difficult to drink full one.  Cream of chicken soup is good. .. but boring.  I cant wait for mashed potatoes or cottage cheese but thats not till 4 weeks post
I am taking all my vitamins so there should be nothing slowing me down.. ugh.. so why so much pain.  Its very hard to rest, I cant get comfortable in bed, too flat on my back, so try the recliner.. it just gets by.  Feel so worn out feeling tired and sore. 
The pain is inside,  like I said, left area of tummy.  There are 7 incisions.. the pain is near one of them on the left area.  I don't want to say side cuz it's not on my side :)  The pain actually started while I was still in hospital.  I told them then that it felt like someone was laying a hot iron on me and burning me from the inside.  They just blew it off as pain from the procedure.  But it was isolated to that one spot.  And still there.  Like I said, sometimes it hurts so bad I need help to get up.. and then its barable unless I cough or sneeze.  Ouch.
Someone please tell me they know what this is like so I feel somewhat normal.  :(

Tuesday33
on 7/21/09 11:36 am
We had surgery around the same time (I was on 7/14). I am also on full liquids (although my doc lets me have crushed cottage cheese in this phase). I do not like sweets either so that has been a challenge! My doctor recommends Isopure, but I found it was like drinking syrup. I have had success with Clam Chowder and Oyster Soup run through the blender. Cottage cheese blended, yogurt, and baby rice cereal made really runny.

I have very little pain, but if I was you I would be calling the doctor and complaining. Hope it gets better.

Keep in touch since our surgery dates were so close.
PoohkinandPiglet
on 7/21/09 11:54 am - TX
Sorry you are not feeling well.  I hope your doctor can give you some answers on your post op visit.  Keep sipping and make sure you are getting enough protein.  It will help you to feel better.

collinsne
on 7/21/09 12:34 pm - Barre, VT
Protein suggestion:  add Nonfat dry milk powder (1/3c per serving) to your soup, pudding, milk, light yogurt, and cream of wheat cereal for additional protein.

Pain suggestion:  My first night after surgery, the nurse gave me a hot pack to hold on my belly.  He said it would help ease the pain and it did really help.  Try a ho****er bottle if you have one.

My RNY was on 7/13 also.  At night I'm still having some pain if I try to lay on my left side.  Feels like I'm laying on a rock.  My poor right hip is sore from laying on my right side most of the night.  I can't sleep laying on my back either.

One hour at a time and then...One day at a time...It will get better.
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/09 12:42 pm - Glenside, PA
That sounds awful!  I wish I could give you more help that what I am about to offer! 

We had surgery on thes ame day!  First, I had that burning sensation when I had the wicks in my large incision on the left side of the tummy.  Saw the doc yesterday and he took them out and the pain is much less frequent and certainly different.  Much easier to take. 

Now the protein, I think I can really help with.  I ordered, on line, the sample packs from Unjury and they came with a chicken broth that has like 21 grams of protein and you can't taste anything but broth!  Saved my life!  I agree those Isopures are way too sweet for me!  I drink a lot of shakes and I make them with soy milk (regular soy, not the vanilla or chocolate which has more sugar, but either way, did you know that skim milk has like 12 grams of sugar?  So what are you using to make your protein shakes?

Now, I also got some samples from Bariatri Fusion which have lots of different flavors to choose from.  Also, keep in mind, those shakes can always be diluted by adding more milk or water.  That usually cuts down on the sweetness, too. 

The best tasting shake I have found so far is Chike chocolate.  OMG it tastes like chocolate milk!  But I am not crazy about the other flavors.

Try getting some samples on line and experiment.  Also, consider the soy milk as an alternative.  Read the labels!  And keep bugging your doctor about that one side. 

Good luck to you!
diana09
on 7/21/09 1:07 pm - patchogue, NY
i had my sugery the same day i cant sleep in my bed too, i have my pain mosty at night now  and the past 2 days around 4pm too.
wyoctry
on 7/21/09 2:14 pm - Riverton, WY
Thanks everyone.. I am learning and taking everything in like a sponge.  Tonight I try heat :)

profe3
on 7/22/09 9:26 am - Stockport, IA
Hi there,
I had my surgery on the 14th.  When I was released from the hospital I had this extremely full feeling in my upper belly.  I was able to only drink 14 oz the first day home.  The second day I managed 20 oz.  Every time I drink something I get this achy feeling across the top of my belly.  When I went in to get my drainage tube removed the dr. said I probably still had some swelling and that as soon as the swelling went down I would be able to eat and drink more. 

Do you still have a drainage tube?  I ached on my left side for the first few days.  Then I got my drainage tube out and that area has felt much better. 

Hang in there.  Don't try to pu**** and rest when you can.  Keep up the walking.  Good luck!!!
Shida77
on 7/23/09 12:09 am
So sorry you're in pain! But, RNY is Major surgery, so just plain Tylenol is not going to help your discomfort! If the Lortab isn't working (which is just Tylenol with codeine) then maybe you need another narcotic! When I had my baby, I got this same kinda dull pain on my side, turns out it was GAS! Even though I was passing gas and pooping, there was still gas trapped.  THEN, i had another pain and it was menstral CRAMPS! Eventually it all subsided. 

This is no easy thing we're all doing so I'm going to keep you in prayer and ask God to help you through this.  Just keep thinking positive thoughts and remember that in just a little while you'll start to feel like your own self again! PROMISE!

wyoctry
on 7/23/09 5:37 am - Riverton, WY
Just to answer a few questions posted... Nope.. didn't have a drain so no cause there.
My postop visit is today.. in one hour so will be asking Dr.  questions.  Today is now 10 days out.. and the pain is still there.  The rest of me is much better.. I drove up to the college I work at and visited friends... and went to Walmart with my son yesterday.  But the pain is still there, left area of tummy.  :(   I am just learning how to live around it.

Maybe my visit today will tell me something to help. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1103 views