I need help with menus/eating.

latinamommy
on 7/20/09 1:08 pm - Winslow, AZ
I cannot stomach pureed food.  I gag when it hits my tongue.  I can eat yogurt fine and like the babyfood veggies and fruits but I don't know how to get the protein from foods in.  I am living on protein shakes and veggies right now.  I tried cottage cheese in the magic bullet with pears and it frothed up.  I just don't know how I am going to get through 6 weeks of this stage. 

How is everyone eating at this point?  Is it possible for me to puree food in my mouth?  Any help would be appreciated...TIA!!
alyzbzee
on 7/20/09 3:49 pm - Lakewood, CA
RNY on 07/14/09 with
Here is what was given to me by my surgeon for the 1st 3 weeks post op - Liquid Phase 1

If you are unable to open, please send me your e-mail address and I will forward.  I too am strugling even with this, I guess I am bored 

Well, I can't figure out how to get the 3 pages on here, so just send me your e-mail.

Maybe you are on something entirely different, but I can't have pureed until August 3rd and can incorporate a scrambled egg as well. 

Annette 

HW: 324 -  First Consult: 304 - Surgery Date: 293 - Current: 207 - Goal:  165

collinsne
on 7/20/09 11:45 pm - Barre, VT
I'm on full liquid diet for two more weeks.   I get 2/3rds of my protein from ISOPURE ZERO CARB drinks (20oz bottle has 40 grams).  You can water it down to get more liquids in and it still tastes good. 

I can have soupy cream of wheat.  I make it with skim milk and add 1/3c nonfat dry milk powder for extra protein.  Today I tried adding unsweetened applesauce to it too.  However, making up a normal one serving size portion takes me about 4 meals to eat (2T to 3T at a time).

I can also have cream soups made with skim milk and add unflavored protein powder or nonfat dry milk powder to up the protein.  My NUT said to strain it through a screen strainer. 
PoohkinandPiglet
on 7/21/09 12:41 am - TX
Mashed potatoes
Ricotta cheese baked with low sugar spaghetti sauce on top (tastes like lasagna)
refried beans with queso
egg salad
pumpkin pie filling baked with splenda and cinnamon
Fage with various toppings (sweet and savory)

I can't wait to move to pureed foods on Thursday!

Kathy J.
on 7/21/09 4:26 am - Flint, MI
Cream of Wheat, grits, and cream of potato soup is all that I am eating.  I am trying to incorporate my protein shakes; sugar free jello and pudding.  Good luck

torim
on 7/21/09 10:43 am - Englewood, CO
Can you add protein powder to the babyfood & yogurt that you can eat now? Just an idea. It can add protein to your day.

Tori

tracyced
on 7/24/09 7:39 am - Manassas, VA
This is help to me too because I'm on Puree for 2-3 weeks. Im on week one now.
I've had baby food. BLAHHHH!!!! Maybe its the kind that I have from Whole Foods. But I'm over it.

Mozzarella sticks half skim milk is good. You'll have to chew it up really good.
I had scrambled eggs, but that didnt sit well with me. Maybe cuz I ate it too fast. I have to remember to eat SLOWLY.
Tuna but mashed up is pretty good.

I cant wait to eat real food.

I have been craving mash potatoes and cream of wheat. There is none in the house and everytime I send someone out for it they forget! SIGH. Those are foods I enjoy eating that I can eat now!

AshleyDillo
on 7/24/09 9:12 am - Tallahassee, FL
My diet stages didn't include a puree stage.

I had:
Clear liquids and Protein Shake - Week 1
Full Liquid Stage - Week 2
Soft Diet Stage - Weeks 3-7

Full liquids included:
low-fat cream soups made with 1%, skim or low carb milk and/or blended and strained soup
soupy (thin) hot cereals including unflavored cream of wheat, baby oatmeal, or grits
no added sugar pudding (no rice or tapioca)
SF yogurt (no pieces of fruit)
soft reduced-fat cheese such as Alpine Lace or Laughing Cow Cheese
Unsweetened apple sauce
Thin mashed potatoes (no skin) or sweet potatoes
Saltine crackers

So I would guess if you can mu**** up into your mouth it would be considered pureed.

I'm on soft foods which is when my diet allows the addition of meats, canned/soft fruits, beans, thin-sliced deli meats, baked potatoes, bananas, egg/tuna/chicken salad, pasta/rice (overcooked)

I'm so scared about making myself sick that I really haven't ventured out of protein shakes and cottage cheese. I did try sliced cheese and deli meat and that worked out fine with my mooshing it all up in my mouth. I haven't even let myself try fruits or veggies yet..I figure getting in the protein is more important, so until I hit my protein goals for the day I don't get any veggies/fruits...and today was the first day I made it to that. So I'm gonna eat some babyfood applesauce or sweet potatoes tonight to celebrate..woohoo!

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

latinamommy
on 7/24/09 12:00 pm - Winslow, AZ
Thank you to everyone that replied.  I went to my post op appointment and my Dr. said that I CAN puree the food in my mouth.  He said I just have to chew the food really really really good.  I have been trying to stick to the pureed diet and tried a few things from you all and they have been wonderful.  I did find some different types of things in the WLS for dummies book and wow YUMMY!!!  SO thanks again everyone!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1103 views