Home 5 days post op.............nausea and biiter taste

msrelle
on 7/20/09 7:14 am - Florence, NJ
Hi All,
I'm home and finally able to take about 5 min to update. Well my surgery wasn't the simple revision,when my doctor went in he discover my band and port had begun to grow into my stomach skin! Viola that explained all the problems I was having with refills and keeping any food down. So my surgery still lap ending up being 3 hours. Needless to say I woke with insane nausea and chest pain but the nurse quickly filled me with DRUGS YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So when I finally returned to my room , I was honestly overwhelmed with pain, tiredness, and confusion about why I was just getting to my room at 8 when my surgery was at 1pm. But once it was explained I understood.  As we all know the GAS is HELL and boy did I have gas, now today I can say just about most is gone thank goodness! My mom is a nurse of 30 years and has been a God sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she has helped me through it all!!!!!!!!!!

OK lesson 1

1) Don't ASSUME ur passing gas get up and go to the toilet unless you physically know the difference  ; LOL - nuff said
2) Follow the instructions- I really have and have been progressing well
3) NO Birth Control Return for 60 days- I started back on my BC to make sure my cycle wouldn't start premature, needless to say I was terribly sick Friday night-until today not realizing it was always after the PILL. called my GYN and she said STOP! it's too much for your system right now so I threw those babies to the back of the medicine cabinet!
4) I have lost 11.5 lbs since Monday so that's a great feeling
5) I sometimes have a bitter taste in my mouth can't get rid of and I fear I'm not drinking enough, the typical frights
6) MOST of all, I'm glad to be on the healing side, glad that I have everything working correctly and getting my strength back slowly but surely, been walking everyday and that is great and go sit at the lake by my house to breathe!

I will keep you all posted , I guess my biggest question is what can people really eat, I was so used to my lap band STOPPING everything , not sure with the RNY if stuff goes down and you get full or if stuff get "stopped" up, but I do stay away from breads and pastas, not a DESSERT person at all, but I am really trying to stay committed to low and non-caloric drinks because I know that can be my MAJOR pitfall!

Have a great day!
shirelle
PoohkinandPiglet
on 7/20/09 7:29 am - TX
Is the bitter taste in the morning?   or after you take vitamins?

I find that the iron pill I take at bedtime causes a metallic taste in my mouth the next morning. 

msrelle
on 7/20/09 7:38 am - Florence, NJ
Well I actually had Iron though the IV so  I don't start my vitamins until tomorrow post dr visit, so I have no clue! thanks for the heads up though.
FreeSpirited1
on 7/20/09 7:49 am
Celebrate bariatric supplements are the best..chewable and taste kinda like candy..my iron is my favorite..it's grape...congrats on you successful surgery
collinsne
on 7/20/09 9:48 am - Barre, VT
First - Congrats on the successful surgery!!

Are you on a liquid diet?  I had my surgery last Monday too.  I have two more weeks of full liquid diet.  I think the protein drinks leave an odd taste in my mouth.  But it keeps me drinking trying to taste something else.   I'm loving all the new crystal lite type drink flavors.  Cranberry lemonaide, strawberry/kiwi.  I'm also loving the Nature's Best ISOPURE Zero Carb drinks.  20 oz bottle has 40 gm protein.

Nancy

HW 358 - SW 267 - CW 228 - GW 170
msrelle
on 7/20/09 10:35 am - Florence, NJ
thanks guys , it's a journey for sure :)
Ok nancy I heard about this isopure but I'm so hesitant because the last one I tried was HORRIBLE, really chalky but I'll taste the new one!
PRKN_LDY
on 7/21/09 1:04 am - Bowie, MD
Shirelle

I just bought them Monday. It taste really good and lots of flavors. Keep a food journal to remind you that you are meeting your protein requirement. My surgery is on Thursday ... I'm so excited 

Angelina  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!