UGH...2 DAYS OF LIQUID DIET...I am HUNGRY!

Gena L.
on 7/19/09 7:32 am - Canal Winchester, OH
I have heard mixed things.  Most people that I've spoken with that have had their surgery at a 'regular' hospital did not have to go on a special liquid diet prior to surgery.  Most of those having surgery at Bariatric Hospitals do.

I'm curious - did you have to go on a special diet prior to surgery? If so, how long and what type of diet?  Where did you have your procedure at?  Were you able to make it, or did you cheat?

I am going to a Bariatric hospital and they require a 3-day liquid diet. UGH...i am now on DAY 2...2 DAYS OF LIQUID DIET...I am HUNGRY! Really hungry!  Any suggestions on a liquid that I can have to feel fuller?

Please help!!!
AshleyDillo
on 7/19/09 8:10 am - Tallahassee, FL

I had to do a 2 week high protein-low carb diet with 3-4 protein shakes daily.  Then the 2 days before surgery I was on a clear liquid and protein shake diet.

If you're on clear liquids only there isn't much you can do to keep yourself satisfied.  Play with different spices in some broth--buy some broth-based soups and strain out the meat and veggies.  Just keep on drinking water and remember that you're finally going to have surgery once you get through this.  I was too excited to be hungry and kept myself busy with cleaning and preparing for the hospital stay.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

PoohkinandPiglet
on 7/19/09 10:37 am, edited 7/19/09 10:38 am - TX
I had to do 2 weeks of liquid diet.  The first 3 days were the worst since it takes 3 days to get all the carbs out of your system.  I had food cravings and headaches.   In the beginning, I did eat a high protein snack each day to get me through (one scrambled egg or turkey burger patty).   I lost 12 pounds in 14 days and breezed through surgery.   

On my clear liquid diet day I kept myself really busy (and drank a ton of decaf iced tea) to keep my mind off being hungry.  I got a pedicure then went shopping.   On the way home, I treated myself to a sugar free shaved ice. 

You can make it.   It's hard, I know.  Drink a lot of water in between to keep your tummy full. 

butterflyz27
on 7/19/09 11:44 am
I have not had the surgery yet ,I came here to support others on there way in. I wanted to tell you that i'm going to Geisinger medical center and I will have to do a 2 week liquid diet. The dr.told me jello and sp popsicles and clear liquids . I dont think you are alone ,many have made it thru and you will too hang in ther

Tia has just begun to fight............
 rebirthday was 9*30*09
 high/350
Start/322
surgery morning/303
current-233
goal/200ish

IRAYD8U
on 7/19/09 1:15 pm - MONTICELLO, MN
You can get through this girl!  When the hunger strikes get up and go for a walk.  I have been walking through the cravings and hunger for a week now!   Tuesday is not far away!  Just think they will wheel you into that OR with a nice clean bowel, smaller liver and your gonna come out with a nice new pouch! 

That's what I keep thinking as I go through this........I'm looking at 33 more hours.

Think in hours rather than days........it seems like less time!
                    HEATHER
               Join us on the Lightweights Board
 Ask me about our Facebook Chat Group: OH WLS-Lightweights
  36 years old
5'7"   HW 256 / SW 240 / CW 145 / GW 140
ccavna
on 7/19/09 1:16 pm

Hello I to have had to start a 2 week all liquid protein shake diet. This consists of 4.5 Slim fast (or any other one you choose but you must stick with that) any clear liquids otherwise. I would drink water at work in between slim fasts. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. My lips go so dry and ended up cracking and bleeding. then Id go home and have a popsicle and a couple jello's and I'd be set for the day. Now i did try chicken broth yuck no sodium not for me at least for now. I did cheat a little I had about 4 ounces of tomato soup Low sodium but I felt so guilty I barely finished.

Two days prior to surgery I was on an all clear liquid diet. I'm happy to say its not as bad as I had expected just stay hydrated especially after doing the colyte. Yes I'm extremely hungry but not any more then what I was when I started the first phase of the pre op diet. I have drank plenty of Gatorade (Plenty of protein and electrolytes) and popsicles as well as jello (I'm beginning to hate lime jello) My surgery will be don't in 7 hours at the Cleveland Clinic. well good luck and I will be happy to welcome you to the losers bench.

IRAYD8U
on 7/19/09 1:19 pm - MONTICELLO, MN
Congrats.........7 hours!  I'm kinda jealous.........LOL
                    HEATHER
               Join us on the Lightweights Board
 Ask me about our Facebook Chat Group: OH WLS-Lightweights
  36 years old
5'7"   HW 256 / SW 240 / CW 145 / GW 140
Sabrenia8888
on 7/19/09 5:57 pm - Orlando, FL
I am on the liquid diet now and Yes it is VERY challenging. I have been reading alot and walking to keep my mind occupied. I am drinking lots of water, water, water......I'm drinking water now (lol)!!!! I have cheated a little and if my surgeon knew that he will not be happy (so to all you Dr. Davis patients...don't tell please...lol).....But I am not anymore and I am focus, focus. I am having surgery at Memorial Hermann Memorial City hospital which is a regular hospital. I know it is hard and actually you're over half way there. I can not wait for Tuesday to come and then I will be over half way there too!!
Ms. Exquisite
"Obstacles are what we see when we take our eyes off the goal"  
Jamie W.
on 7/19/09 10:15 pm - Manchester, NH
Today is my surgery and I have been on a liquid diet for 2 weeks. The purpose of this is to shrink the livder to make it easier for them to move around inside of you. The first week was not so hard but week 2 was a killer. But I've lost 10 additional lbs. and am ready for today.
Elizabeth L.
on 7/20/09 12:37 am - Rockford, IL
I am 2 days pre-op at a regular hospital that specializes in bariatrics (my surgery is Wed. 7/22), and I have had to do a clear liquid diet for a total of 5 days.  Prior to that, I was on a no carb, no meat diet for 1.5 weeks.  It has been tough, but the best advice I can give is to stay hydrated - drink as much liquid as you can.  I think the protein shakes have helped give me some energy and feeling of fullness, but they are upsetting my stomach, too.  Also, hot clear broth has been pretty satisfying for my feelings of hunger.  I have also been chewing a lot of s/f gum to help with that urge to chew something!  Best of luck to you, I know we can do this -- and it will be so worth it in the end!!!!   :D
Liz

Elizabeth Long

RNY: 7/2009, Height: 5' 5", Start Weight: 265, Goal Weight: 160

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update