Are you guys counting calories and protein?

KristeMitchell
on 7/18/09 3:04 pm
Hello all,
Just wondering if you are counting calories and protein?  I have been trying to but I am not sure how many calories are appropriate this soon out.  My doctor said to shot for 50-60 grams of protein at this point but didn't give any guide on calories.  I know that I'll need to up the protein to 75-100 but I am not sure calorie wise where I should be.  What are you guys doing?/  How are you feeling about this whole thing.  I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and a bit nutty.  I hope you are all doing great but on the other hand, I want to know that I am not alone. Thanks guys!

AshleyDillo
on 7/18/09 10:19 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I'm not intentionally counting calories at this point.  Getting the protein and liquids in is the most important.  I track everything I put in my mouth on thedailyplate.com and I'm getting in 200-400 cals a day now.  I'm on a full liquid diet at this point.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

Joanna S.
on 7/18/09 10:28 pm - Lonaconing, MD
This is my third day home and I haven't yet reached protein or fluid goals so I'm not really concerned about calories.  Ugh.  I just don't want anything.  3 scoops of protein powder ought to do it for me, but its the 64 oz of fluid that I'm having a hard time with.  What I am feeling right now is amazed that I feel so good.  I'm not letting anything get to me.  I'm doing the best I can do and that's all I do.  :)  Joanna

High354/consult321/pre-op297.6/post-op310.6/current209.2/goal147

You'll never leave where you are until you decide where you'd rather be.

KristeMitchell
on 7/19/09 2:28 am
That is a great way of looking at it! I think I'll give that a try!

PoohkinandPiglet
on 7/19/09 2:37 am - TX
My guide says 800-900 but there is NO way I'm getting near that at this point.  I'm focusing on the protein and fluid.    I'm logging everything on www.thedailyplate.com to track it and striving for 60 grams of protein this week. 

butterflydreams
on 7/19/09 6:43 am
The rule of thumb I was given  is no more than 6 grams of sugar and no more than 5 grams of fat. But I am not sure about calories at this point. It's hard to reach any of my nutritional needs this early in the process. I know they told me to worry more about volumn than anything. They don't want us overloading our tiny pouches and causing any issues. 

I am lucky to get down an ounce. I am 5 days post op and all the bland foods aren't appealing or make me feel full fast. I am looking forward to the day I can eat "real meat protein" again. 

KristeMitchell
on 7/19/09 11:05 am
I've been craving a mini slider hamburger.  I know it will be quite a while before I can have that, but it sounds yummy!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1103 views