Hurting and regretting!!!

abbey G.
on 7/18/09 6:50 am - moorhead, MN
i have questions!!!! i started my pre op diet and i feel like im making a mistake. im always hungry and i just want to go to the refrigerator and eat a juicy hambuger with fries. im that optifast and i can only eat raw veggies and drink crystal lite and water. i can also have chicken and beef broth but that isnt doing n e thing for me at all. what is happening to me? its only my 2nd day too  so omg i dont know what to think!!!! someone please tell me something!! Another thing i am having alot of cramping like on my neck, side back and front, and i cant even turn to wipe my buttocks. I have NEVER had this problem but now that im not eating regularly Im just cramping bad...Has anyone had these types of probs pre op!! OMG im starting to regret and its only the pre op stuff!!!!

~Abbey~

PoohkinandPiglet
on 7/18/09 7:12 am - TX
Pre-op is the hardest.  Just take it one day at a time.  Once you get past the first three days you will feel better and not feel so hungry.  When I was starving during the first three days, I ate a few shrimp or a lean turkey burger patty (30 grams protein).  If you do eat something make it lean protein and it will curb your appetite.  Your body needs three days to get rid of the carb cravings and feelings of hunger.  You can do it!

McIrish
on 7/18/09 7:54 am - MN
I felt exactly like you.  I just wanted to say forget it and have a cheeseburger and fries.  I was miserable and cranky and sad.  You will get over the cravings.  Its still hard and it's not fun but you can do it!!! 
I'm not sure about the cramping.  Just try to drink a lot of water.  If it gets worse, call your Dr.
Hang in there it is the worst part.
Good luck!
Lauren D.
on 7/18/09 7:55 am - Lorain, OH
 Honestly, like Sharon said.... the first 3 days are HORRIBLE.  It gets better! I don't know why, but it gets easier.  I had an awful headache, fatigue, and was miserable.  If you're starving, eat pure protein, like Sharon recommended.  chick peas can be a great snack.  

As for the cramping - sounds like you're DEHYDRATED.  Make sure you drink the 64 oz. of crystal light (or water, but CL is so much better for me)  

It sure takes an effort, but I think it's going to be worth it in the end!  (I am still pre-op, so I can't tell you for sure!)

take care.  drink lots of crystal light. 

I count protein, fluid ounces, and my blessings everyday. 

triaxle
on 7/18/09 8:49 am

HI there - I am only 3 weeks post op so I CLEARLY remember the 8 days liquid diet prior to surgery.  I was STARVING and going insane.  The only thing that saved me was that I kept telling myself that if I didn't do the liquid diet and try and shrink my liver my surgery wouldn't be able to be done laparoscopically (that's what my doctor told me).  That alone laparoscopic versus incision was what kept me going.  TRUST me the 3 week liquid diet after surgery isn’t' nearly as hard because you WON'T be hungry at all.  Please hang in there - YOU CAN DO IT and it will be so worth it in the end.  I'm thinking of you - hang tight it will pass.

ErinMoses
on 7/18/09 10:43 am, edited 7/18/09 10:44 am - AL
 Oh yah, COMPLETELY normal.  I went through the same thing..started mine on Monday and by Thursday I was completely over it!  Im only 2 wks post op but I promise it DOES get better.  Your body is just going through detoxification and you will make it.  Just keep on keeping on and you'll be fine.  I know, easier said than done.  I almost called and canceled my surgery bc I didn't think I could do it.  I was SO ILL, had headaches, dizziness, tiredness, UGH.  It was awful.  You'll make it though-just hang in there.  It'll be all worth it, you'll see!

Oh, and the cramping-DEHYDRATION.  DRINK DRINK DRINK!  It is so important..if you dont drink, you'll keep feeling worse and worse,  I promise.  Hang in there girlie!

Thinking of you~

~Erin
Highest Weight: 310
Pre-Surgery Weight: 262

bizeebee
on 7/18/09 9:02 pm
Well,  prior to surgery, I was on a clear liquid 10 day diet.  I will tell you that the first days are horrible.  But it prepares you both physically and mentally for the surgery.  It really was the best thing.  Also, you need to make sure that your committment level is really there, because WLS is not a diet or a quick fix...it is a lifetime/lifestyle change.  So your lifestyle change starts a little sooner.  This may test your committment.  Trust me, it is really only a blip on your life radar screen (pre-op diet).

The pre-op diets get easier over time, and you will be glad post-op that your dr requires it
latinamommy
on 7/19/09 3:52 am - Winslow, AZ
I don't have anything new to add but wanted you to know like the pp's said it does get easier after the first 3 days.  Maybe try to fill in your time with other things like walking or reading or journaling.  A big part of it for me was that I was a bored eater so if I am bored I think of food so I never let myself get bored and my poor children helped with that.  I ran them all over the place.  Even now that I am 5 days post op I am not hungry but when I am resting I notice that I think of whats going on in the kitchen.  So try to fill in your time and I hope it gets easier for you. 
As for the cramping I dunno about that. 
I know that when I talked to my family about my doubts they looked at me like I would never succeed so I found it a little easier to cry to a friend of mine that had this done and went through this and wasn't so judgemental on my thoughts of giving up.  I hope you have a friend like that and if you don't I'll be that friend =)  Good luck to you!!
abbey G.
on 7/20/09 1:02 pm - moorhead, MN
Thanks everyone for your support!!! I have cheated a couple of times so far but hopefully I can get better....believe me I'm trying sooo hard not to hate these liquid optifast....as for the cramping I appreciate the advice because since i have up my intake on water an crystal lite....My cramping has slowed down ALOT...OMG I thought it would never go away. I couldn't even more one way or else I would cramp up BADLY!!!  But once again thanks for everyones support and words of wisdom....We all need it sometimes.....especially ME!!!
 ~Abbey~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!