I'm starting to get worried...

ErinMoses
on 7/14/09 3:10 pm - AL
  Well I have not pooped since I have been home for the hospital. Tomorrow will be 9 days post op for me.  I have been taking colace twice a day and yesterday started miralax.  If I haven't gone by tomorrow, I'm supposed to take mag citrate...I'm wondering how normal this is?  I'm scared to death that there is a blockage or a leak and its just floating through it & thats why its not coming out.  I have NO urge to poop either...Im eating 5 times a day (1 oz at a time) and I'm keeping my food down fine.  I'm eating scrambled eggs, egg salad, applesauce, pudding, mashed potatoes, etc.

My MORE woriesome quesetion is this...yesterday and today have been the first 2 days I have actually gotten in (near) all of my liquids.  I have drank 54 oz both days (before then I was struggling to get 2 bottles down a day AT MOST).  Well, before yesterday I was only peeing once a day AT MOST (sometimes not at all) and yesterday and today when I had more liquid I only peed once yesterday and twice today.  I am so worried, what if my kidneys are shutting down?  I am drinking as much as I literally can.  Please tell me what to do and that this is normal??   Is there a common complication that can occur after surgery to cause this?  I plan on calling my doctor about it in the morning.  I dont know why but I'm so afraid I'm going to die or something.

Please help?

~Erin
Highest Weight: 310
Pre-Surgery Weight: 262

JEllen
on 7/14/09 8:47 pm - Capital Region, NY
Calling your Doctor sounds like a very good idea.
So- be sure to do it- First thing this am!

hope it turns out to be ok.

{{{{HUGS}}}}
AshleyDillo
on 7/15/09 2:24 am - Tallahassee, FL

I pooped a few times the days after coming home from the hospital, but since then nada.  I haven't moved past the clear liquid and protein shake stage yet, so it's not surprising.  I wasn't peeing that much either at first, but now I'm going at least more than once a day!  The color is good and I don't have any signs of dehydration. 

People at my support group swear by MiraLax..so you may want to add that to your regimen.

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

luanne711
on 7/15/09 4:51 am - Bradford, PA
We have to remember with liquids, we don't get any fiber to speak of.  I hadn't really considered that when I first started because I thought, ah, it's liquid, it'll run right through me, but it's not been working that way.  I've been taking metamucil 3 X a day and it took about 48-72 hours before it finally kicked in and gave me some relief.  It was the worst constipation that I had had in a very long time. 

Plus mother nature came a callin' so at least I'm gettin' that one out of the way  :-)
KristeMitchell
on 7/15/09 11:44 am
At our Pre-op education class they stressed not to take Metamucil post op because apparently it turns into a gel inside your stomach and that can be bad.  May want to ask your doc about some other alternatives post op if it is still an issue. 

I am 5 days out and so far so good in the poop department.  Kind of suprised but not complaining.

luanne711
on 7/15/09 11:24 pm - Bradford, PA
ya know, you're probably right.  I was thinking pre-op, not post op.  I'm sorry.

Erin, definitely check with your doc.  Hope you're feeling better.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 867 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 725 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 986 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1069 views
4 Years!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 1103 views